« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Information for a potential buyer...please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wopac5

Australia 
Information for a potential buyer...please

Hello all...I have just sold off my Disco 3 (beautiful machine) Big Cry and I am now considering a FL2. Question
I never really used the D3s potential, and will probably not use a FL2s either. But it would be the 4th Landy in a row.
The story is, my local dealer is 1600km away in Perth WA, so running out for a test drive is not really available, I am particually interested in economies, although performance is also of interest.
Do I buy a petrol or deisel?
What sort of MPH or L/100 would be likely on a trip? (I was able to average a true 10-11l/100 at 125+kph with the air on and outside temps at 40C in the TDV6 Disco).
Hass anyone chipped either vehicle? Was it worth it?
Distance between stops up here are quite large, average 250k between fuel points, and 650k between towns. So what sort of range are people getting...I know the mpg multiplied by the available litres will give the answer, but I'm after real world experiences.

Thanks

Post #67529 30th Apr 2010 6:37 am
Simon CSK

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

On a long run I can get 38mpg it has gone to 40 but only for a very short time. Around town I am getting 26 perviously 23 but that was with a very heavy right foot.

Post #67541 30th Apr 2010 9:38 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

On a quite accelerative driving and city traffic I get 9,6 L/100km average, if motorway cruising at 110 km/h I get 6,8 l/100km. 120 and over is most like 8,5 L/100km and upwards. These figures are for the 2.2 Diesel MY 2010 and 118 kW (no dpf). I am running Shell V power only.

I would expect that you will be having better economy than the D3 anyways.

Air con is mostly on, but as I have the car only since january I am a bit worried about the glass roof and summer here (38 - 45 degrees celc most of the summer)

Mostly city and a little outside the city (65 % to 35 %) driving gets you easyly 600 km's of a tank, outside city cruising tends to 750 - 770 km of distance. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #67544 30th Apr 2010 9:56 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Not the gentlest driver here by a long way, like to accelerate hard and brake late.

Going to work and back is a run of 128km, and average 8.8L/100km (32mpg), this gives a range of 720km (450 miles). Around town the economy drops to around to 11.3L/km (25mpg), this is where my lead foot costs. Twisted Evil

All in a diesel auto, never turn the Aircon off.

Bearing in mind I poped over to Aus last year, hired a camper van for the two of us and spent £700 on fuel in three weeks going from Sydney to Cairns - 15.7L/km (18mpg) in an overgrown diesel Transit. Sad

Worst ever figure was when my son borrowed the FL2 - 18mpg, he won't be doing that again. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #67563 30th Apr 2010 1:18 pm
benny

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

my petrol fl2 can do 11.2/100km (~70% highway). I drove the diesel version a few times, drive pretty much the same except you can feel and hear the engine vibrate when idle. Where petrol engine is very quiet. In fact, I found the Td4 has more vibration than the TdV6 from Disco3.

Post #67571 30th Apr 2010 2:42 pm
Lakmal

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

I have done 28,000kms within 12 months in my FL2 i6 SE. With approx 70% freeway running, I'm averaging at 11.2l/100km on 91Octane fuel. (tried 95 & 98 Octane few times and the only difference i noticed was in the wallet) I did an interstate trip to Sydney few months ago and it averaged 10.1l/100km.

I think Diesel would make more financial sense. However, i found it slow and trucky and enjoy the quietness and smoothness in Petrol. 2009 i6 SE

Post #68583 15th May 2010 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
athelstan

wopac5

TD4-e Manual -New Nov 20 2009.
Just about to complete 6mths "running in" as engine now much "freer".

Distance covered 6,240kms all in the Swiss Alps with aircon running all the time, and on winter tyres (not the most fuel efficient rolling rubber) at temps down to -24°C. No starting problems.

So what my own fuel data log reports [not the FL2's onboard computer] is that during this time the intervals between refueling have always been over 800kms (one instance 843kms), and the fuel consumption has averaged 12.5kms per litre of diesel fuel - or 8 ltrs per 100kms. In imperial measures that's an average of 35.47mls per gallon. No fuel additives used!

Post #68584 15th May 2010 2:30 pm
athelstan

Lakmal
My experience with the TD4-e is that when new (less than 3k kms) it does display the lethargy of an anemic tortoise, however beyond that point it is as sprightly as a dolphin in the bow wave. One just has to be judicious with the gear change[manual]. Thumbs Up

Once run-in the adjectives "slow & trucky" really do not apply when the TD4-e is commanded by an experienced pair of hands (and feet) Exclamation

Post #68585 15th May 2010 2:44 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

My 08 td4 gets about 8.8l/100kms if sitting on 120ish kph out near Alice Springs. Range, I came up 20 kms short of Alice from Boulia across the Plenty goat track...I mean highway (about 820 kms). The car is great but not as much space as the Disco. Diesel all the way, nothing trucky about it. Anyone who has driven mine loves it.
Mike

Post #68616 16th May 2010 5:18 am
wopac5

Australia 

Thanks everyone...The deisel economy and range seems very impressive. I was concerned the 68lts might be a bit small, but 800k range is great
Now all I need is to find or order the right one. Either a brand new SE with xenons in the colour combos I want, or a demo, but loaded, HSE in the colour mix I could live with??? decisions decsions.

Post #68636 17th May 2010 4:07 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I used to own a D3 also but down-sized to an FL2. Compared to the D3, the FL2 TD4 HSE lets in more road and engine noise, the ride is less refined but it is more economical, handles better and less cumbersome in the city.
The stereo in the FL2 is audible better than the one in my old D3 TDV6 SE.

On my off-peak city commutes I used to get 13.2 l/100km with my D3 and now in the FL2 I get around 10.8 l/100km. On a recent Bathurst to Sydney highway run I got around 8.8 l/100km.

If you ask me to choose between a D3 or FL2, I wlll give you a different answer each time. I chose the FL2 over the Audi Q5 because of it had better off-road credentials..it was a tough one because the Q5 had much better fuel economy.

Post #68669 18th May 2010 4:21 am
mjfly1

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi, I want to buy a Freelander 2 TD4 SE this month but wanted to know if there was any real differences between a MY09 and MY10 model, the only vehicles currently in stock locally in VIC are a MY09 demonstrator, a MY10 demonstrator, and a MY10 new, I can get a Corporate Program MY10 new if I wait till the end of July and that saves $$ on service costs but my calculations over 3 years including services show it's still more than the MY09 demo based on the up front quote from the each dealer. I'd rather save the money up front as I want to get a tow bar (have noted the LR OEM vs HR discussions). The MY09 demo also has a cold pack, not that we will be driving in the snow much but will be, still my wife hates even the Melbourne cold weather and she will be the main driver, so maybe that option will keep her happy.

This vehicle will replace our main family drive, a 2004 Ford Territory Gia AWD, it's a downsizing in space and to some extent features but we want something that is comfortable and can handle some unsealed roads that need a grader run over them. I mainly drive our 91 Subaru DL wagon we got new back in our 20's, 386K KMs later it's getting old but basically that is the experience we want to recreate without getting a Disco or more likely a Prado, I grew up driving Toyota Landcuiser trays on a farm, and my Dad's a bit sceptical about the whole Land Rover scene.

Any experienced advise on the purchase will be welcome.

Mark.

Post #69871 3rd Jun 2010 2:09 pm
mjfly1

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Went for Corporate Plan

Our MY10 TD4 SE Santorini Black with Storm Napoli Leather / Ebony interior should be delivered second week of July, looking forward to driving it. The Style pack being offered in AU is a bit of a minus for me, the spoiler is exactly that, Matrix Metal facia finisher is Neutral and I'd rather 17" than 19" wheels but the dealer said I would have to wait until late August for a special order to get something without this pack, expect it's better to get a special set of steel wheels/tires if we do get off sealed roads frequently Smile

Post #70011 5th Jun 2010 12:20 pm
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My petrol averages about 15L/100 for combined driving. It does get to 10L on mostly highway driving. If you're a heavy footed city driver, it easily gets over 20L Shocked

Though it's hard on the pocket, the thrill and noise of a straight six is worth it. Very Happy

Post #70261 9th Jun 2010 9:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1