« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > oil change help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sambuca

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Baltic Blue
oil change help please

right then i am going to change my oil and my oil filter but if I'm honest i haven't a clue what to do does anybody have a diagram or anything that will help me and also does anybody no how much oil i will need to refill the system cheers

Post #69733 1st Jun 2010 8:22 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I take it yours is a 2.2 ltr diesel and not the petrol engine. You will need to romove the engine under shield, as you look underneath the car it will become apparent. There are bolts with "I think 17mm heads" After removing this sheild you will see the sump plug which is just a simple bolt and a copper washer, be sure to replace the copper washer when repacing the sump plug.
Run the engine for 10 minutes to warm the oil prior to draining. Have a suitable drain tray to collect the old engine oil as there is about 6.5 litres about to come running out.
As you look on the front of the engine to the left hand side you will see a dome plastic type casing with a socket head. This is used with a socket or ring spanner, what ever you can get on there to undo it.
Anti clockwise to undo, it will be tight most of the way out as the casing is tappered. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN WHEN DOING UP as you do not want to strip the threads.
Inside the filter housing there is a paper filter type which is a push fit, a little force is needed to remove it from the housing.
Once you have replaced the filter and housing and the sump plug fill with 6 litres of fresh engine oil recomended for your engine.
Run engine for 5 mins and check for any leaks at sump plug and oil filter housing, if ok replace sump/engine under shield .

Re check amount on dip stick and top up to full level, about anther half litre, job done Thumbs Up

Post #69741 1st Jun 2010 9:03 pm
sambuca

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Baltic Blue

that is brilliant help thank you for that my next challenge after that is my diesel filter and my pollen filter but am doing it 1 step at a time if you have any info with that that would be even better i am trying to do the whole service on my own lol cheers

Post #69755 1st Jun 2010 10:02 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Be careful with the sump plug. The hex bolt head is oversized for the thread diameter so you may have a big spanner/socket on it but do not lean on it excessively 'cos its only a small bolt really, going into a threaded fitting in a pressed steel pan.

Do not overtighten - make a note of how easy it is to undo!

Sombody must have a torque figure somewhere. Any suggestions?

A further caution. If you leave the old oil to drain right out (as you should) and then refill, it is hard to see the level of the clean oil on the dipstick at first. Do not overfill. Measure what you put in and then top up when you have run the engine for a few minutes. It soons picks up carbon and bits of old oil around the engine and then you can see it more easily on the dipstick Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #70152 7th Jun 2010 11:17 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Sambuca have a look at all my posts, I have gone in to great detail on how to successfully repace the diesel filter. BUT REMEMBER EVERY THING MUST BE SPOTLESS WHEN DOING THIS.
Right, the pollen filter is a little tricky to get at. On a right hand drive car, access to it is in the passanger side footwell. Get down on your knees and look up under the glove box and to your right hand side its located towards the centre consol. Theres more light if you remove the glove box. You will see a black box casing with a snap on lid which you can just pull gently on the clips to release. Carefully with draw the pollen filter and not which way it came out so as to reinstall the new one the same way. Its a little tricky getting the new one back in, you might have to push the cables back with one hand while gently easing the filter in with the other. Then just clip the casing lid back on, replace glove box and job done. left hand drive cars are the same but on the other side of the car but the procedure is the same, have fun Thumbs Up

Post #70178 7th Jun 2010 9:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1