Home > Technical > Is This a Problem!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Is This a Problem!

Hi All,

I read a thread on here recently about someone who was having starting problems with their F2, and found that a new ECU had to be fitted. I don't know if I have the same problem and would appreciate your comments.I will tell you what I have experienced recently on my 2010 F2. Firstly, when the car stops automatically using the stop start system the car will re start itself after 3-5 mins without me touching brakes, clutch or accelerator(this usually occurs when I am waiting for the wife to pop in to one of her favourite shops). Also, if I stop the car using the button but leave the key docked. After about 5mins, or so,(again this occurs when I am waiting for the wife) the car will not restart. the only solution to this I can find is to remove the key reinsert leave for a few seconds and then the car will start.Is this normal? I know the solution is not to take the wife shopping but this could make my life complicated!!!! Shocked

Post #69886 3rd Jun 2010 7:29 pm
horrie

Netherlands 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

My car does the same thing. I think this is not a ECU problem. The engine restarts(start/stop) when the car uses to much electricity, for example the airconditioning.

Post #69891 3rd Jun 2010 8:04 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Cant say mine has ever started itself freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #69892 3rd Jun 2010 8:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Not too sure on the first example but your second one is due to the imobaliser (sp?) kicking in and rolling it's code Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #69899 3rd Jun 2010 9:01 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Mine is 3 days old and restarts by itself - the book says it will when it decides it needs to - battery/climate control etc etc

Scary when it happens

There are a few occasions with my old FL2 would take a couple of hits with the starter buttom or re dock - just foibles dont think i'd be worried

Post #69903 3rd Jun 2010 9:13 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've never had the second proble, although ours isn't an 'e' model. However, on stop start cars, they do what your first point says.

I'd ask the dealer to have a look at the second point. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #69916 3rd Jun 2010 11:57 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It almost certainly will be to do with the ECU monitoring the battery. If you have stopped and the car is running the radio, Air con off the battery, it will monitor the load and once it gets below a certain level, the car will start to charge the battery.

I know that BMW have quite sophisticated systems. If you leave the car with the lights on, radio on, interior light on, it will constantly monitor the systems and shut down each one to leave enough power to start the car.

I'm guessing the Start Stop will do the same, or similar. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #69924 4th Jun 2010 8:51 am
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Also it monitors the amount of vacuum in the brake servo assistance and will start the engine if it goes below a limit, maybe there's a leak if the car starts even when you don't have any electricity load (which is a most probable reason). Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #69942 4th Jun 2010 1:25 pm
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

To All,
Thanks for the replies they are most helpful. It appears that I am the only one having the second problem i.e. if I stop the car with the button and leave the key docked, it refusese to start without removing the key and starting again. Perhaps, I should take it to the dealer to be checked over.

Thanks again to all Bow down

Post #69969 4th Jun 2010 6:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1