« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander 2 (07) wont start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dingo22uk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Freelander 2 (07) wont start

Afternoon all, My wife called me from Sainsburys to say that the car wouldn't start...I went through all the usual stuff and I think we agreed that the imobiliser had kicked in. Called the AA who had a look but were unable to conncet to the on board computer. I think his diagnosis is also imobilised.

I'm now stuck at home with a car that wont go anywhere and that no one seems to want to connect to to find out the error...

Does ANYONE have any idea at all how I am going to get this car started again. Landrover assistance doesn't want to assist and the AA cant connect. Suggestions welcome.

Cheers guys
Dom

Post #69001 22nd May 2010 4:32 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Is the car still in warranty Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #69003 22nd May 2010 5:59 pm
dingo22uk

1 month outside...Isnt that always the way Crying or Very sad

Post #69006 22nd May 2010 6:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

LRCS have been known to step up so close to been outside warranty Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #69007 22nd May 2010 6:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Have you tried both keys?

Checked battery levels/connections Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #69008 22nd May 2010 6:26 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Disconnect battery for an hour or so. Perhaps charge it too if it meters less than around 12.5VDC off load.
Reconnect and try again.

Is there any sign of life when you attempt to start? Presumably the fob goes in and out as normal?

Post #69009 22nd May 2010 6:52 pm
dingo22uk

OK Battery has been disconnected, and stopwatch is set to 1hr Smile

Before I did this there was life, key fob in "bing bing bing" press button and lots of display lights up and message reads "System Check" then nothing, no click no noise just dead. I can eject the key and lock and unlock as if nothing is wrong.

This is the one thing that I hate about onboard management systems, you are totally at the mercy of main dealer and their clever gizmo to connect. I also can't believe Mr AA Man never had one on board his van.

Thanks for the suggestions and rest assured guys, when it is resolved I will post as much info as I can get from Mr Main dealer.

Cheers

Post #69016 22nd May 2010 8:44 pm
dingo22uk

UPDATE Thumbs Up
A mate of mine with RAC personal membership called from my house and got them to visit. the RAC man was there for over 2 hours with no idea of the problem. The end result was to toe it to a Landrover main dealer. The car has been there all day and I've just had a call to say that there appears to be a complete comms failure in the managment system that requires further investigation.

Although I was under the impression that the car was outside warranty Big Cry the very kind mechacic has told me that it is under warranty and that this work is covered Very Happy

Like I said in a previous post, whatever I can find out about the problem I will post here, surfice to say they can have the car as long as they like to fix it if it aint costing me any money.

ta!

Post #69091 24th May 2010 3:50 pm
dingo22uk

UPDATE2:
The Landrover dealer still has my car and they still have no idea what the issue is. They have taken lots of data off the computer and sent this to LR HQ for analysis to which they've also come back stumped...Now they're the experts aren't they?

Anyway, the next stage of the investigation turns to ALL electrics as one test pointed towards a possible shorted wire somewhere in the huge bundle of cables. They're testing these now.

I'm missing my car Big Cry or rather the wife is missing it, but they've promised a courtsy car from Friday if it aint fixed.

Update 3 after the Bank Holiday folks Thumbs Up

Post #69300 26th May 2010 8:15 pm
Miamidolphins

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Same problem with my Free2/07 in Norway. The car has been at the dealer since May 1!!! and still it won't start. Landrover i England has told my dealer to stop investigating/replacing till they come up with a new software. The instrument panel and all the wireing have been replaced.

Anyway you are lucky to be promised a courtsy car - after nearly one month they still won't let me have one.

Still I love the Land Rover, and my next car will be a Range Rover.

Post #69433 28th May 2010 11:48 am
dingo22uk

UPDATE3:
They have replaced the ECU and it still wont start. They are really stumped and have asked for more time to investigate. Luckily though, my wife was offered a courtesy car which she picked up today (a brand new HSE model so no shabby there) She told me she will refuse to give it back until our car is fully working Laughing

Does ANYONE on here think that electrics will be the Freelanders 2's achilies heel? Bit like the blown head gasket on the K series engines. Cos that happened to me too on my Freelander 1 petrol. Am I just doomed? As like our friend Miamidolphins here, I too would like to move up the Landrover food chain.

I'll tell you more when I find out
D

Post #69476 28th May 2010 8:46 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

not an Achilles heel but a few have had such problems, most get away without any troubles. one car was fixed by simply adding a new stop/start button...

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic4778.html?highlight=button At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #69479 28th May 2010 8:55 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

This sounds like a real strange one indeed, you say the car wont start, just a few clicks then nothing.
I have come accross something like this once before on another car. I was just wondering if it could be something as simple as a faulty starter motor. Well more to the point its the solenoid that egages the starter to the flywheel. After replacing the starter motor the car started with no problems. I wonder if LR have even looked at it. Some times its easy to look to deep into some thing and miss something realy easy. Im sure i speak for a lot of people on here that we are all watching your posts with great interest on the outcome of your none starter. Best of luck with it and look forward to reading further posts from you, Superspark.

Post #69510 29th May 2010 3:27 pm
dingo22uk

UPDATE4 - Resolution

This may come as a disapointment to some of you as the info I have is sketchy, but I will try to tell you as much as my wife gathered from the garage.

They called her to say that the car wsa now working and ready to collect. They told her that they replaced the ECU (previously knew this) and then applied a software patch to it supplied by Landrover HQ. This is all they told her and they provided no paperwork to confirm what had been done.

Sorry but I know this is not what you were expecting, I'd have liked to know a bit more about what was done, what caused it and if it's likely to happen again. So I will call and ask for a job sheet if one is available and post the results here.

Anyway, on a lighter note...The courtesy car they supplied us developed a puncture at the weekend...Again discovered by the wife while on her own. She then also discovered that new Landrovers don't have spare wheels, just clever mini compressors and special glue. LR Assistance were happy to help out and got her moving again.

Cut a long story short, when she returned the car to the garage they said we were laible for a new tyre at a cost of £180....oops! Rolling Eyes

So...Happy Motorring everyone, and watch out for that spare tyre tingy Very Happy

Post #69732 1st Jun 2010 8:13 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Just tell the land rover garage that you would like a copy of all the work carried out for your records, it will state on there what they have done and replaced.

Post #69745 1st Jun 2010 9:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>