« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > DC outlets - no power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FL2 wannabe

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Tambora Flame
DC outlets - no power

I have a problem with no DC voltage on either DC outlet (Cigar Lighter+2nd DC outlet) that are housed in the central console between the front seats. I have checked all the fuses in all 3 fuse boxes and none are o/c.
I have read in the various forums the the Cigar Lighter works when the ignition is activated and the spare outlet is always on, so I assume thay are not on the same circuit.
One thing I have been considering is that some thing was no reconnected or interfered with that has caused this problem when the heater recall repair was done on it.
I bought the FL2 (2007 TD4 S) 2nd hand so this may have been a problem I inherited.
I don't have any wiring diagrams or techical info to help troubleshoot the problem either so am limited in what I can do.
Any help/suggestions etc. welcome!
Thanks.

Post #69092 24th May 2010 4:05 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

If you can locate the fuses (they're listed in the handbook) and check with a multimeter to see if there is >=12VDC on one side of each (ignition on for the front one). If a voltage is present and the fuses are definitely good then there is likely a connecter parted within the centre console. IIRC, the console is removed to do the auxiliary heater upgrade that we all should have had. Maybe they missed one as you suspect.

Post #69098 24th May 2010 5:22 pm
alex_pescaru

And that connector is accesible from the back of the central console, in front of the rear seats, removing the small tray and the auxiliary audio controls (if any). There is no need to remove the whole console.
In the PDF here, on figure 11, you'll see that connector(s).

Post #69107 24th May 2010 7:11 pm
FL2 wannabe

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to check your suggestions out yet, but will get to it tomorrow when I will have time to have a good go at it!
I just seen also a mention of a burnt oil smell getting into the cabin at certain times, I too noticed this in mine recently especially if I pull-up at a junction and or stop and move-off. Usually noticeable as I move off in these situations. Is there a specific check/fix for this.
Thanks for helping me out.

Post #69147 25th May 2010 8:00 am
FL2 wannabe

Problem solved!

12v DC outlets working ok again after finding the suggested connector disconnected inside the central console.
Thanks for the excellent replies, I
You were a great help, thanks.

Post #69478 28th May 2010 8:53 pm
Oldie

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I am totally astonished, but maybe I shouldn't be Confused

I have had the 12v sockets out of action for ages and just couldn't be bothered to work out what was wrong (although I did check the fuse, which was ok).

Now, after reading this thread I discovered what you guys have already found out - some lazy sod has disconnected them Mad Not just the large grey connector box, but the ones to the underside of the 12v units themselves. I can only get access to re-connect the rear one but will be doing a letter to the dealership to ask what has been going on.

In fact, the grey connecter couldn't actually be re-connected because the "mechanic" who "fixed" it had positioned it so that the cable was now too short (I figured out how to redirect the cable) but the whole process has taken me half an hour and I only have the rear 12v functioning.

What really worries me is that the fault was so obvious Rolling Eyes

ps. thanks to Andy and Alex above Wink

Post #69509 29th May 2010 2:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1