Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > power steering reservoir/pump/steering rack = dealer stress.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
charlie71

power steering reservoir/pump/steering rack = dealer stress.

Hi all.
I have a56 plate 2007 FL2 SE.
Had it about 6 months.
3 years and a few months old. 25k miles on the clock.
So when it was purchased had a couple of months of the three year warranty, but was backed up by the LR approved used warranty.
Anyway..
The other day there was a whirring sound coming from under the bonnet, so I took it in to see what they said. guy came out and we went for a drive, and he said it was the power steering reservoir/pump (likely) and it would have to come in for works.

It got picked up today, and then i got a phone call late this afternoon to be told.. well it may be the steering rack too.
they had to call LR to see if this was all covered under warranty.. apparently.. too late to call them today.. so they will call them tomorow.. but LR wont tell them for 48 hours.. so likely Tuesday before I know.

Should i be stressed about them saying it is not covered?..I am pretty annoyed alreay at thinking about the hassle I am imagining I am going to have to go through to try and get this repaired...
Any opinions/similar experiences out there?
thanks. Charlie

Post #68798 19th May 2010 9:28 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

There told me that pump then the rack (which they replaced under warranty) but it turned out to be the turbo ?? I'm glad they were paying not me .
Double check who pay the bill. Thumbs Up

Post #68819 20th May 2010 8:49 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi Charlie71. On ALL EARLY freelander2 models the power steering pump resivoir was fitted with a none removable nylon filter mesh which is only 15 microns wide. Over time this becomes partly blocked causing a restriction of flow to the steering pump.
A very easy way to determine this is by removing the filler cap while the engine is running. Under normal conditions you should see a smooth flow of oil spouting gently in a upside down umbrella shape. If its all very turbulant and or aerated then the filter is blocked and the system will need bleeding and a new resivour fitting.

The steering pump should be ok but if theres still a noise then the pump should be presure tested and replaced as needed.

The streeing rack is another issue. On some early modles they have had a problem with weld splatter inside the steering rack tube causing damage. This can be checked by turning the steering wheel from one full lock to the other and back. What you should be looking for is any knocking sounds coming from the rack accross its full travel at tick over.If this is presant then the rack will need replacing hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #68851 20th May 2010 5:58 pm
charlie71

Thanks both..

Got a call from the dealer.
Apparently NOT covered...

He argued the point with the LR warranty people,and in the end they have agreed to replace the lot.

To all those whose car is about to fall out of the three year warranty.. be very wary of the extended cover...

Charlie.

Post #68885 20th May 2010 9:45 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

extended cover realy aint worth the paper its written on

Post #68947 21st May 2010 5:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1