Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > True Fuel Consumption Of The FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Deek

True Fuel Consumption Of The FL2

Just to add fuel to the debate [sorry, i couldn't resist that] - when talking about fuel economy, some people are causing confusion by not stating whether they are quoting instant or short-run computer readings vs averages taken over at-least a full-tank or two. Others are not stating their 'e' models etc.

I like playing that game with my friends, family or colleagues, to see who can get either the highest instant or average readout figure from the trip computer (it gives us something else to do on long boring runs) but its a game, and it does not represent the true fuel economy of the vehicle. Some people are quoting economy figures better than Landrover published - fair enough but please do make it clear what you are actually measuring.

I too have been impressed at the decent (short-term) averages that i can squeeze out of my ~two-ton, heavy diesel, auto FL, when taking the 'ave' readout over a short 50 to 150 mile run (driven very carefully) ...but i know that does not represent the real fuel-economy over at least the whole 'tank-full' or the monthly / annual average.

Compared to other cars that i have owned, i have noticed that after every re-set, the FL trip computer is particularily slow at returning the 'ave' figure, taking ages, often 100 miles or more before it drops to read nearer the true 'average' ...at least that gives me the opportunity to win/cheat at the above game <lol> p.s. don't tell them - they think i am sad enough already!

Here is a wee challenge, could someone please stick up a photo of the dash / trip-computer reading 99.9 mpg, or nearest to it etc ...then we can all move-on from that debate.

I much prefer to measure total miles covered per full-tank ...then average that over a number of tank-full's, which is then a true and accurate average fuel-economy of the vehicle. So if anyone wants to quote their results based upon that method, then i for-one would be interested in comparing notes. Then we can maybe get a true'r reflection of the averages to expect from the manual, auto and e-models etc. I would much rather read those 'real-life' figures than the 'official' published.

Deek :o)

Post #66926 22nd Apr 2010 5:41 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Aaaaaagh!!!!!
I just posted a similar "Full tank method" (just below yours) Very Happy

Post #66928 22nd Apr 2010 5:54 pm
trg

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I work mine out same as you Deek - always at least a full tank and I do it on litres pumped/miles rather than the trip computer thingy. I reported the last full tank on another thread - from memory it was 35.8mpg. That was mixed motoring inc a weekend away and I was very pleased!l Tank just gone was 30.0mpg and was seriously motoring from hell stuff, no runs to talk of, all local urban trips and accelerating from junctions, roundabout etc. I wasn't too upset with this either! Current tankful not worked out yet. Our FL2 is MY10 XS Auto. Neither of us drive with mpg in mind and climate control is on all the time so it uses air con as it sees fit. In fact the 30.0mpg tank full I'd tried the kick down a few times (someone on another thread said theirs didn't go above 3000rpm on kick down in drive - mine does Thumbs Up )

Post #66929 22nd Apr 2010 5:58 pm
Deek

Never mind wingit :o)

I used to do it on paper, record mileage at every fill-up, so i think it might have been npinks or somebody that gave me the link to 'Road Trip' software for my mobile that does this calculation for me and displays it in a graph etc - a very handy record.

I have owned lots of powerful two to three litre petrol cars, this is my first diesel and my first auto. The only surprise i have noticed is that the gap between 'driven carefully' and 'driven briskly' is much wider on my FL2 than with any of my previous cars - don't really know why?

I bought the FL2 to generally relax and slow-down ...but the other surprise has been that the 'driven briskly' performance of the FL2 is quite impressive :o)

Post #66931 22nd Apr 2010 6:07 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I haven't even got my FL2 yet.
Delivery is the back end of May.........

Post #66932 22nd Apr 2010 6:14 pm
Deek

Hi trg

Yes, i too did not buy and certainly don't drive for economy. I expect and can get 33-34mpg average on long runs. It can be as bad as 24-25mpg on short runs but my longer term total average is 29-30mpg which is exactly what i expect from a ~two-ton, heavy diesel, 4WD, auto. Very happy with it indeed :o)

Post #66933 22nd Apr 2010 6:15 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have loaded an app called Road Trip and have logged my fuel and mileage since I have owned the car, anal maybe, but painfully addictive (that really doesn't read well...)

So for 4629 miles since 3rd Feb my average has been 30.27 mpg. The last fill was 29.51, best 33.58. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #66969 23rd Apr 2010 9:01 am
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Good day
I recently completed a 1987klm 8 day round trip from Pretoria to the northernmost gate of the Kruger Park,down through the park, out of the southernmost gate and back to Pretoria.
4 adults with luggage for 8 days
Coolboxes with basic foodstuffs for 8 days
Beer for the gents, wine for the ladies
cameras, binoculars, etc
Day 1 on tar,65% of the time at 120 kph on cruise.
Day 8 on tar, 80% of the time at 120 kph on cruise
Days 2-6 on gravel, 100% of the time at 0 -40 kph depending on game seen.
At the end of the trip the computor showed 7.3 lts/100km at an average speed of 41 kph.
the brochure here says 7.5 so i feel quite satisfied with the results from this trip.
How do these figures relate to your MPG figures??
Thanks

Post #66972 23rd Apr 2010 9:20 am
chrisuk

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I normally get about 500 miles from £70, so using calculations rather than trip comp

70 / 4.54609 = 15.3978 (UK Gallons)

500 / 15.3978 = 32.47 mpg

Post #66983 23rd Apr 2010 10:12 am
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

If your long division is not too good multiply the litres by 0.21997 to give gallons!! There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #67003 23rd Apr 2010 1:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

or use road trip lite app on your iPhone Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67006 23rd Apr 2010 1:42 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
or use road trip lite app on your iPhone Whistle

Aye... there's an app for that... Laughing Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #67012 23rd Apr 2010 1:58 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Good day
Using your figure of 0.21997 and long division/ multiplication ( us ou toppies didnt have calculators when we were taught mathamatics ) I have converted the 7.3lts/100kms and this comes to 1.61gls/62.14mls. Making 38.59MPG.
I feel the trip mentioned above is a fair representation of " combined average " taking into account the load facter and the fact that a cosiderable amount of the trip was at altitudes of 4000 feet plus So, for a 3 year old vehicle, I am quite happy with the figures I am getting compared to LRs claimed figures. Very Happy
Thanks

Post #67195 25th Apr 2010 5:58 pm
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Seriously, how do you guys get so good miles to the gallon? My FL2 (2008 model, diesel auto HSE) is almost NEVER achieving better consumption than 30 miles to the gallon. My 3 litre petrol BMW gets 36 or 37 miles to the gallon (over a full tank refuel) when driven on the motorway...

What am I doing wrong in my FL2?

Post #67217 26th Apr 2010 1:56 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

My 08 TD4 only averages 7l/100km if I'm going down hill all the time. My average on long trips is closer to 9l/100km.
Mike

Post #67220 26th Apr 2010 3:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>