« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Towbar Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bill

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Towbar Electrics

I have a genuine LR towbar and 13 pin electrics fitted to my 2009 GS.

What changes are made to the ECU (?) when the electrics are plugged in and I am towing compared to driving solo ?

Bill

Post #64997 29th Mar 2010 9:05 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Think this just about sums it up.... Very Happy
Obviously ignore the farmers response Laughing
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5514.html

Post #64998 29th Mar 2010 9:14 am
bill

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Think this just about sums it up.... Very Happy
Obviously ignore the farmers response Laughing
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5514.html

Thanks very much.

I was led to believe that there are changes to the 4 wheel drive balance and the ABS dynamics when towing ?

Bill

Post #65007 29th Mar 2010 10:08 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ok you've got me on that one Bill. What I can tell you is that I've just changed from LR fitted 12s/12n to single 13 (By just a 13 pin rewire) and that there is a pin allocated to connect to your trailor anti sway system (On new vans) but on the kit I had fitted new in July 2009 by a main dealer that pin was not wired up.

Post #65011 29th Mar 2010 11:04 am
bill

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Ok you've got me on that one Bill. What I can tell you is that I've just changed from LR fitted 12s/12n to single 13 (By just a 13 pin rewire) and that there is a pin allocated to connect to your trailor anti sway system (On new vans) but on the kit I had fitted new in July 2009 by a main dealer that pin was not wired up.

The product that you are referring to is called ATC and made by Al-Ko and fitted on their trailer/caravan chassis.

My caravan is not fitted with it and I don't know if it is connected in my towing electrics or not.

It's just that i seem to remember when I went on the 'Land Rover Experience' day the chap there made some comment about traction control and ABS when towing.

Bill

Post #65013 29th Mar 2010 11:10 am
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Bill. the LR day i weent on told me about the ESP programme which will detect instability caused by van and may initiate stability programme. Frankly if you don't overload and get the nose weight at 100 kgs the van ain't going nowhere. Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #65031 29th Mar 2010 12:14 pm
ad210358

England 

I posted a thread yestersay as Mcpherson has found, a few people have said that you need the dedicated electrics and then the dealer to activate it as different settings then occur when you plug in a standard 12n plug. Comments such as changing the settings on brake balance and ABS settings but I can't see that.
How is it going to know if you have plugged in a light board for your bike rack or a two ton Iffor Williams. Brake balance would be done on the rear axle compression which has been done for years, what is the difference between a noseweight of 100 kgs and to big rugby players sat in the back which will be exerting twice as much weight on the rear axle, so what changes would occur. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #65081 29th Mar 2010 7:36 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I think the ESP program is applicable for the RR and new Disco ??? Because theres a towing setting Also is can adjust the ESP for when the roof rack is loaded (the cars top heavy) Confused

The FL 2 dedicated electrics wiring kit dose switch off the rear reversing sensors when plunged in so I'm told. and comes with a control unit to work the lights because some of the wiring on the FL2 only send a signal to the control unit. and the control unit then sends the power to which every light. That why there cost so much?? because you can get a normal twin plug set up for approx £25.00 (not £177.00+vat which I'v been quoted from LR Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry )

Post #65089 29th Mar 2010 9:37 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Vehicle specific wiring kits in the majority of cases connect directly into the manufacturers dedicated socket. In some vehicles it is necessary to run other cables which are all supplied within the dedicated kit with detailed instructions of where to find the plugs and wires that you need from around the vehicle.

Some vehicles also need a compulsory download from the vehicle main agent to make the vehicle aware that these towing electrics are fitted, but again that is dependent on the make and model of the vehicle, all vehicles that do are outlined in our online application list.
The advantages of a dedicated wiring kit are that the vehicle will know when you are towing and will automatically adjust the following (only if the vehicle has them).
• Brake electronics
• Engine electronics
• Cruise control or A.C.C.
• Parking aids
• Reversing cameras
• Lane change assisting
• Suspension system
• Engine cooling system
• T.S.P.

Post #65091 29th Mar 2010 9:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1