Home > Technical > Squeaky Gearbox - identified problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hadjista

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Squeaky Gearbox - identified problem

Hello everybody,

If you look at my posts you will see that since the beginning that i had my fl2 i had a squeeky gearbox ( most of the times when there was low temperature). The dealer lubricated it a couple of times which seems to solve the problem temporarily but after some time the squeaky sound comes back.
So i have lifted the gearbox protective cover and had a thorough look at the inside. It seems that there is a spring that its both edges are covered with a clear plastic round thing which has been worn away and the metal part of the spring is touching another metal part resulting to the squeaky sound.
Is there a replacement for this from Land rover? also has anybody else identified the same problem? my car has only got 42000 km and already this clear plastic things are warn away, is this an issue??? seems like a very cheep solution the way are implemented in the gearbox. Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #65006 29th Mar 2010 9:58 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

grease the front end of the cables under the bonnet, cured mine Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #65010 29th Mar 2010 10:25 am
Hadjista

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

thank you CG for your reply!! You said that by greasing the front end of the cables under the bonnet has cured yours but could you please tell me if this clear plastic round things inside your gearbox are ok or have they worn away? Also do you know if there is any long term problem using the gearbox without those clear plastic round things? i mean even though by using some grease we minimize the squeaking sound, what is the purpose of use of those clear plastic round things? if Land Rover used them then they must have a reason to do so Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #65029 29th Mar 2010 12:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1