Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Side Tubes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Side Tubes

Hi All

Oh No!! not this again!!!Sorry folks to bring this subject up again but I need clarification about side tubes. I have been considering side tubes or running boards for my new F2 and have read on various threads that the side tubes can be slid out a bit from the underside of the sills (this has been generally refferred to when jacking up the F2) What I was wondering is if the side tubes can be fitted so that they do protrude from the sills to the extent that they will safeguard my doors from those Censored that ding body work when they fling their doors open with no consideration for others Evil or Very Mad . This is the main reason I am considering side tubes or running boards. As mentioned previously, on the F1 I had side tubes fitted that were perfect for this purpose. and I am calling on those of you who know more than me if this would work on the F2 Bow down

Post #63831 16th Mar 2010 8:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

They only slide about an inch

Sorry not enough to protect the doors in my opinion

I'll try get a pic tomorrow showing them and how much the project (or not) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #63835 16th Mar 2010 8:12 pm
MacWallace

Thanks npinks - that would be very helpful Smile

Post #63836 16th Mar 2010 8:13 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you look under Plutopants blog he shows a very good picture of his side steps which look like they stick out a lot further than the tubes.
I'll try for the link.......
http://plutopants.wordpress.com/

Post #63838 16th Mar 2010 8:19 pm
ad210358

England 

I would be suprised if the steps would safeguard your pride and joy let alone having the side tubes pulled out. One of my lads has a Focus which is usually parked next to mine and if you open the door of his car so it touches my door rubbing strip the bottom of his door is still about 3 to 4 inches away from my Stainless Tubes. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #63840 16th Mar 2010 8:28 pm
MacWallace

Thanks mcphersonstrut. They do from that pic look as though they stick out a lot. The problem I have found in the past was that the steps do collect a lot of crap, whereas the F1 side tubes did not. I do not want to sound vain Embarassed but when I had the steps mounted on theF1 my suit trousers were filthy with all the crap from the steps Big Cry which is why, if it will work, I would prefer the tubes Smile

Post #63841 16th Mar 2010 8:30 pm
mcphersonstrut

Then I think you'll have to go for door rubbing strips (see ad's gallery) Thumbs Up

Post #63849 16th Mar 2010 8:50 pm
MacWallace

Thanks Guys for all the info Bow down Looks like it will have to be side steps and short trousers Embarassed

Post #63862 16th Mar 2010 9:38 pm
mcphersonstrut

Short trousers we can cope with, but please not with white sports socks and sandles Laughing

Post #63911 17th Mar 2010 2:34 pm
MacWallace

Probably would not notice the white socks against my very white legs Embarassed . Oddly enough though - I do have sandals!!! Embarassed One other point I should ask before I go Ebay - Are the side steps adjustable - can you adjust how far out from under the doors they sit Bow down

Post #63941 17th Mar 2010 8:46 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

If anyone is interested, Duckworth Landrover have a good deal on side protection tubes (black) £99. Sounds like a bargain as they are listed at £389. Link: www.duckworthparts.co.uk/acatalog/special_Freelander_2.html

Post #64211 20th Mar 2010 9:42 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

The side steps protrude 14 centimetres from the bottom of the door and are 5 centimetres wider than the widest part of the plastic finishing strip fitted to the bottom of the door. They do give some protection against other doors and shopping trolleys etc. They are a huge help for elderly passengers and people under about 1.5 metres (about 5 feet). They also protect the lower sides of the car from gravel damage and mud. I wouldn't be without them simply for the access with very elderly parents.
However, there are drawbacks; they need to be removed to change a wheel because the standard jack handle fouls on them in operation. The removal is quite easy, remove the 3 fixing bolts using the wheel brace and slide out of the sockets. Off and on adds about 5 minutes to the wheel change, but it would be better if you didn't have to do it. An answer would be to carry a small bottle jack instead of the standard issue. If you called out assistance this would be what they would use, and there are jacking pads fitted for each corner. In any event, the steps fitting is not as bad as getting the spare wheel out of its' well. The cars here come with full sized alloy spares and, combined with the depth of the well, are too much for some people to handle. The steps also reduce ground clearance at the sides by some 7 centimetres, although I've not found this an issue since even on fire trails out here you're generally following ruts of some sort - it's the belly clearance that's the one to watch. I expect if you go rock clambering they would hit first but possibly this would be better than hitting the sills. I don't know whether the side tubes reduce ground clearance to the same extent. Finally, you do need to be aware getting out of marking clothes but when you've done it once you don't do it again!

Post #64220 21st Mar 2010 12:43 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Re my previous post on side steps, I made an error on the ground clearance reduction - this should read 5 centimetres and NOT 7 centimetres. Sorry about that!

Post #64222 21st Mar 2010 3:18 am
MacWallace

Thanks egipp the information you provided is really helpful Very Happy I have particularly noted the point re wheel removal and will consider this further before buying side steps Shocked

Post #64258 21st Mar 2010 3:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1