« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Odd Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
iangam

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Odd Noise

Oh no just developed a strange noise. Once the car has warmed up there is a whine that changes pitch with the engine revs, still the same if you dip the clutch and rev the engine. More noticable at lower speeds but i think thats just due to less road noise. It sounds like its coming from the driverside of the engine. I've ruled our steering as turning the wheel does not make a difference in the noise. I'm thinking water pump due to the fact that it only starts once the car is completely warm after about 8-10 miles.
Have any of you had anything similar.

Post #59435 13th Feb 2010 9:04 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green
Re: Odd Noise

iangam wrote:
Oh no just developed a strange noise. Once the car has warmed up there is a whine that changes pitch with the engine revs, still the same if you dip the clutch and rev the engine. More noticable at lower speeds but i think thats just due to less road noise. It sounds like its coming from the driverside of the engine. I've ruled our steering as turning the wheel does not make a difference in the noise. I'm thinking water pump due to the fact that it only starts once the car is completely warm after about 8-10 miles.
Have any of you had anything similar.

Hello fellow Norfolkian

Recently I had a noise from outside the car which only appeared when the car was warm..was intermittent and vaired by road conditions and steering..turned out top be a known fault of the brake pads coming away from the metal backing. Was fixed under warranty a couple of weeks back.

Richard

Post #59444 13th Feb 2010 10:48 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi - interested to read your posting as I have what the dealer and Landrover describe as Turbo Whine. My noise is most evident when engine is warmed up and at lower revs. Noise is only heard from inside the vehicle not outside with bonnet up. When the engine is switched off, the noise decays after the engine has actually stopped.
Can you hear your noise outside the vehicle and does it stop immediately on switching engine off? Water pump noise would - turbo wouldn't as its still spins.
Have yoiu checked all fans are off for the heating and climate control? One dealer suggested there is a small fan behind the dash somewhere that draws in air as part of the humidity check. The slots for the intake are by the key fob point. I think this fan would be model restricted to HSE spec vehicles but the slots are possibly on all models.
Be interested to get your feedback - A Mr Moo reported turbo whine earlier this month but this is with a cold engine.

Post #59445 13th Feb 2010 10:58 pm
iangam

Cheers Gents, I'll get it booked in and post results. Its definatley silent until properly warm and then it it constanatly, alterating with engine revs. Turbo is a possible but when i lifted the bonnet I though the noise was nearer the belt side of the engine and I didn't notice any noise when I turned it off. Never thought about the heating part of it, I'll turn all heating and aircon off next time I hear it.
Good to hear fellow Norfolkians(careful how you say it) on here.

Post #59458 14th Feb 2010 9:07 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

My Fl2 went for a turbo noise when you revved the motor. The dealer replaced the power steering pump and then the steering rack ?? only to find 2 weeks latter it was the Turbo. If only they had removed the drive belt and ran the engine for a short time there could of worked it out faster
(Don't run the engine with the belt off for more then a minute or so because I'm unsure whether the water pump is driven off it ???)
all the best Thumbs Up

Post #59462 14th Feb 2010 9:52 am
alex_pescaru

jp wrote:
Don't run the engine with the belt off for more then a minute or so because I'm unsure whether the water pump is driven off it ???

Water pump is driven by the timing belt, not the accesories belt.

iangam wrote:
Never thought about the heating part of it, I'll turn all heating and aircon off next time I hear it.

As long as you don't hear the sound when the engine is cold and you hear it after engine warm up period, could be the HVAC blower motor as it enters in a very slow RPM mode once temperature inside is as requested.
As you've said, turn of HVAC next time and for sure the sound will dissapear.

Post #59464 14th Feb 2010 10:37 am
iangam

Dealer changed the power steering resivoir. Not the first one they have done which was why the part was in stock. Wife hasn't moaned yet about it not being cured.

Post #60178 18th Feb 2010 8:15 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Thanks for the update....hope that's the end of it..the noise that is

Post #60207 18th Feb 2010 10:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1