Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Anyone with 19" wheels?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Anyone with 19" wheels?

Anyone had 19" wheels fitted on their FL2/LR2?

If so what are the tyre sizes, and how is the ride (Especially if you changed from smaller wheels) and handling??

Ordering mine in a few weeks and it will have 18's as standard, but was thinking the 19's would finish a great car off as well as improve handling slightly...but as long as it doesn't compromise the comfort too much.

Post #5797 27th Aug 2007 2:24 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Gambba,
think it over very carefully if you really want 19" alloys on the Freely 2. The tyre size is 235/55-19
I have seen the Freely2 with 19" alloys and tyres, and in my opinion it looks overdone. The proportion of car to tyres is gone, the tyres look too big.
With regard to loss of comfort versus tyre size please google as there exists a website with a mathematic formula which calculates the loss of suspension comfort in % in relation to the alloy/tyre size.
In general, the "normal"tyre size for the Freely2 is 235-65 (235 respresents the broadness (width) of the tyre in mm, and 65 represents the relation of tyre width versus tyre hight in %). So 235/55 has 10% less tyre hight
than 235-65. However, the loss of suspension comfort of the tyre decreases overproportionally.
And consider the cost. 19" tyres for SUV's are rare and expensive!

Yamaha-Fan

Post #5811 28th Aug 2007 6:40 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The question comes as I have seen 19's as an option in a price list, and so I am guessing they cannot make the ride unbearable.

The comfort will depend on how the suspension system is tuned and it is very hard to say based on figures if a car will ride well or not on larger rims and lower profile tyres. I know all about tyres and rims, having tuned quite a few cars in the past as well as being responsible for Technical issues on vehicles.

The cost of tyres does not bother me as I am not paying for them (Irresponsible I know....but I don't care Very Happy ), but if the car does not suit the larger rims and looks like it is on stilts, as well as being uncomfortable to drive then its a non starter.

TBH I am not sure this is the route I will seriously consider as I am sure that the 18's will be quite adequate, especially as the car does well on 16's and 17's it seems.

Post #5812 28th Aug 2007 8:52 am
dmck

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I have got the LR triple sport 19" wheels on my TD4 SE. There are some pics on my gallery. With regards to ride quality, everyone who has been in the car has commented on how good the ride quality is. I have driven it on most types of road and cannot fault it.

I personally think that the 17" wheels on the XS and SE look too small. 18" or 19" are about right. 20" would look ridiculous, but its all a matter of personal taste.

Post #5813 28th Aug 2007 9:07 am
CY

Scotland 

dmck - they look Cool "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #5821 28th Aug 2007 5:10 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm with dmck on this one Thumbs Up , I have the HSE with std 18" wheels which I think look great, 19" if you can justify the cost look great too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .....smaller than 18" and there is too much rubber so the sporty agile look is lost Crying or Very sad , bigger than 19" and looks like you you should wear a Burberry check baseball cap Embarassed and people will point and do this Rolling with laughter , and on a Landy, that look ain't good Whistle

Post #5825 28th Aug 2007 9:18 pm
pmcg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I have also looked into this over the last few days and concluded that the difference between the standard 17" SE alloys and fitting 18" in their place does not justify the outlay.

Firstly, the overall diameter of the tyre / wheel combination is only 1mm different and the extra 1" diameter provides very little additional visual impact.

Secondly, the additional rubber on 17" tyres helps protect the alloys from kerbing.

Finally, I am also worried about ruining the superb ride offered by the standard set up.

My advice is stick with 17" wheels and spend the money on something else.

Post #5852 29th Aug 2007 9:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1