Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > UK winter tyre vs 4x4 debate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
UK winter tyre vs 4x4 debate

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...escue.html 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #54696 11th Jan 2010 1:28 pm
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

I refer you to my earlier comments in the off topic forum, which I know you added to Laughing Laughing Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #54697 11th Jan 2010 1:39 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

This may make you angry in the UK, but we have seen on the news here in Norway reports from the UK how everything stops with just a little bit of snow. And the reporters more or less laugh, -at least smile.
Because what you have got of snow isn't much.

We saw a reporter showing the "horrible" news of 9 cm snow on top of a trash-can. 9 cm. ??? That is NOTHING!

Why dont you simply switch to winter tyres? I have driven through 50 cm of snow with my FL2 and Conti 4x4 IceContact tyres. I dont think I could have done that with my summer tyres.

It takes 30 minutes to switch tyres if you do it yourself (like I do), -or if you are to lazy to do it yourself, have a garage or something switch them for you.

Put them on in October-November or thereabout, and keep them on through March or thereabout.
If no snow comes, -no harm. If snow comes, -drive safely past the others who has left their car on the side of the road.
Who is King then? Whistle 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #54717 11th Jan 2010 4:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

reading over on D3, one of the people said he ran winter tyres all year round and got 40k out of a set, not sure if it was on a D3 though Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #54720 11th Jan 2010 4:33 pm
VIKING

npinks wrote:
reading over on D3, one of the people said he ran winter tyres all year round and got 40k out of a set, not sure if it was on a D3 though

Have to warn strongly against that!

Just as summer tyres are useless in the winter, winter tyres are useless in the summer!

And M+S & All Seasons tyres are useless all year around. Laughing
Well, they are slightly better than summer tyres in the winter, and slightly better than winter tyres in the summer.

But think of all the compromizes you have to make: Dry asphalt, wet asphalt, slippery wet ice, frosty ice, hard-packed snow, loose snow and what ever else. Not optimal for anything. -Just a compromize which actually is impossible to make. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #54725 11th Jan 2010 5:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I refuse to buy any Evil or Very Mad , I will if the weather is as bad every winter but the average UK weather simply isnt bad enough to bother At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #54727 11th Jan 2010 5:16 pm
VIKING

chicken george wrote:
I refuse to buy any Evil or Very Mad , I will if the weather is as bad every winter but the average UK weather simply isnt bad enough to bother

Your problem, not mine..... Laughing 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #54731 11th Jan 2010 5:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

@ Viking

Good advice, it definatly not something I would do, Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #54743 11th Jan 2010 6:39 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Still not conninced. My car hasn't missed a beat in this recent snowy blib Very Happy I know the scandanavian boys and gals will start sounding off at this point, but I've also driven through deep snow on steep gradients, on sheet ice and I've not had a problem. RWD BMW (or the like) or my 4 x 4 with the same tyres on all year. Mmmmm let me think Whistle

I have not doubt the Winter tyres make a difference, but only if you have the constant cold temperatures to warrant them. However, I fail to see how they transform a RWD car into a D4 challenging beast!! Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #54747 11th Jan 2010 7:25 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Not just for snow, but winter tyres grip better in colder temperatures and summer tyres in warmer temperatures.
Still if UK drivers dont bother to be sensible then we will continue to smile at all their whimpering when it gets a bit slippery over there Whistle

If ever I decided to live in the UK again then regardless if I had a 4x4 or not I would definatly have a set of winter wheels and tyres. The benifits are well worth the extra expence and bother Thumbs Up

Those that shrug thier shoulders and say I dont need them, or I manage quite well without them, really have no idea what they are missing without them Wink 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #54749 11th Jan 2010 8:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

today is the only day i have thought Aye Up Shocked

been some rain over night, turned the snow on the road to slush and then iced up underneith, just felt the odd twich and ABS judder coming to stop at junctions Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #54752 11th Jan 2010 8:33 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I have been running my RRS on 19" Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres for the last week, up to then I was running it on summer 20" Pirellis. The difference that I have noticed is that the winter tyres are much better at throwing snow and ice out of the treads than the summer tyres, so less risk of them turning into snow and ice slicks with clogged treads. OK so the 20's have covered 22000 miles and have 3mm tread on them and the winter tyres have only covered 1000 miles in 2 winter use. The other thing that the winter tyres do is as they have higher sidewalls they protect the rims better than the LP summer tyres. I won't dream of using the winter tyres year round - the compound is far too soft and they are rated for temperatures below 7C, above that they become quite sticky.

I drove the M74 on the 22nd Dec when Scotland had a mega (by UK standards!) dump of snow. The RRS was on 20" wheels and tyres and the only stop I had was in 10cm deep snow to watch a prat in a Porsche Cayman trying to drive it in the same conditions - I stopped and help push him out of the outside lane and onto the hardshoulder helped by a guy who was in a Focus ST. We had travelled in convoy nearly all the way from Southampton and then stopped at Stirling Services for a cuppa and chat. He couldn't praise his winter tyres highly enough, he hadn't been stopped by lack of traction once but he did let on that in the heavy going bits he hadn't let me get out of his sight! I drove the whole distance from Gretna to the outskirts of Glasgow in GGS at up to 40mph. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #54811 11th Jan 2010 10:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1