Home > General > Accesories from Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Accesories from Land Rover

Hi

I've gone to buy some mudflaps from Marshalls in Peterborough, I went to the parts department as I was going to fit them myself.

I'd looked in the price list beforehand, and saw they were £33 a pair inc VAT. Went to get them and I was told they'd be £40 a pair, thought I'd got my inc and exc VAT mixed up. When he came back with them he said it was £40 exc VAT, so would be 90 something pounds, £30 more than the price list.

Is it right that some dealers can do this? Do you think Land Rover are aware of this? Surely they specify prices of parts so they aim the car at certain markets, and if dealers put up prices, isn't that doing Land Rover a bad service?

Do you thyink it'd be worth going back with the price list, or buy some from another dealer, on Ebay and put up with the little amount of postage?

Rich

Post #5347 9th Aug 2007 2:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

That is totally out of order.

I have seen previous post for Yeovil Landrover and the person who works there gives discount for people who mention Freel2.com. I think his name was Nick.

Worth a phone call

Post #5348 9th Aug 2007 2:38 pm
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
That is totally out of order.

I have seen previous post for Yeovil Landrover and the person who works there gives discount for people who mention Freel2.com. I think his name was Nick.

Worth a phone call

It' always worth asking the parts guys, what's the best you can do it for, most will give a bit of discount, if you don't ask you don't get Smile

Paul;

Post #5355 9th Aug 2007 5:11 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

As the LR dealers are independent from LR itself, LR cannot dictate what price they must sell cars or accessories at, as that would be price-fixing which is illegal. All LR can do is issue "recommended" prices, although they even have to be careful using phrases like that these days. What dealers sell at is totally up to them.

Having said that, I'm surprised that a dealer would sell at over the list price.

Post #5360 9th Aug 2007 6:23 pm
kaney

United Kingdom 2007 LR2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

You did say Marshalls.
Check this out on E-bay eBay Item No. 120116420145 can someone put you it as a link as i don't know how to do it.

Post #5374 10th Aug 2007 7:57 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Accesories from Land Rover

rmbillington wrote:
Hi
Is it right that some dealers can do this? Do you think Land Rover are aware of this? Surely they specify prices of parts so they aim the car at certain markets, and if dealers put up prices, isn't that doing Land Rover a bad service?

Unfortunately you cannot look at price in a new vehicle price list and compare it to spare parts price, it simply does not work like that. It will always cost you more to fit an item after the point of sale, due to the parts and labour cost and this is how all vehicle industries operate.

Take a part at the LR factory of which they have hundreds (maybe thousands) on stock, and during the production process they simply grab it from a bin and fit it. Compare this now to a spare part which needs to be packaged as an individual item, may need fitting instructions producing, shipped from supplier to LR and then to delaer, put on stock at both LR and dealer, then there's the time of teh parts guy needed for looking up a part number, producing paperwork etc....... Now I am not saying this directly proportional to the price we pay, but nobody is in the business to give stuff away.

In the business I am in the spare parts business is what makes the money especially when compared to new sales and service.

Unfortunately this is just the way the world works.

Post #5378 10th Aug 2007 9:11 am
JMMYM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Think you've got a bit mixed up Gambaa. The mudflaps are not on the new vehicle price list as an extra for factory fit - they are on the accessory price list for either diy fitment or dealer fitment. They are priced at £29 something + vat which as rmbillington said is £33 a pair. They are priced at £33 like a spare part with all associated costs so if a dealer tried to charge me £40 +vat a pair I'd tell him to stick them. I gave £33 a pair for mine from main dealer. I was going to fit them myself as dealer wanted something £50/60 labour to fit them on top. However, there was a slight problem with my car on collection from new so when it went in for rectification I persuaded the dealer to fit them for free.

Ps the landrover supplied screws with the rear mudflaps aren't long enough.

Post #5383 10th Aug 2007 10:52 am
Gambba

I don't think the price detailed in the accessory catologue is ever that for DIY fitment, yes dealer fitment but not DIY cost.

As far as I am awrae if you want to fit something DIY then you need to go to the parts department and order it and you will therefore get charged at the spare parts pricing levels.

Post #5385 10th Aug 2007 11:16 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi

JMMYM was right, this is for the parts only, as listed in the price list. I first went to the service desk, as they do the fitting, they said it would be ~ £120 inc VAT to fit, which I thought £60 to fit was a lot, and I could do it myself. He said they were £33 each, and the rest was fitting, 1 hours labour, but that I'd need to go to parts, as Service can't sell just parts.

The parts dept. is in a different building, but still Marshalls (parts for all makes who are Marshalls garages in Peterborough). They then tried to charge me £90ish. I said "HOW MUCH? (imagine someone really shocked, that was me) Is that right?", he said "yep, sorry", so I politley said no, and walked away.

Just wondering if I go for the argument route, and go back with the pricelist, or if I go for paying a little postage, and go to eBay.

Rich

Post #5393 10th Aug 2007 12:53 pm
Gambba

My appologies then.

Seems very odd then, and I would definately be charging more through spare parts than from new sales.

Post #5396 10th Aug 2007 1:13 pm
The Large One

Hi rmbillington

i think you have caught this dealer in the situation where parts and service are not talking....

The retail price of Freelander 2 mudflaps increased on the 1ST July....(Thanks Land Rover) and since all parts prices in the parts dept are stored on computer so price is changed overnight....BUT
Service depts normally keep their accessory prices on printed out XL sheets and if the parts don't tell the service that a price on an accessory has gone up then that's when you get the problems.....

if you had booked in via the service and had them fitted they SHOULD keep to their original price quoted and swallowed the losses....
The parts guys should have realised what was going on and could have still offered them for the original price before price increase as most parts computer systems now work on average buying cost... and unless they had bought a load in just after price change the average cost should be allot lower allowing more discount...

That's what i would have done... Whistle

Hope this clears it up...

Nick If i sell it for that i'll be out of business in a week..

Post #5489 15th Aug 2007 11:49 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Hi Nick (The Large One),

As a parts manager what discount could you offer to Freel2.com members Question Question

25% Question Shocked ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #5490 15th Aug 2007 12:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1