« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Wipers and Windows
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Drew

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Narvik Black
Wipers and Windows

I can only open or close the windows after five minutes by starting the engine. The wipers will also only operate when the engine is running. Both are annoying features when you are watching sport etc. Why is it not possible to operate both when the 'key' in the docking port?

Post #5284 8th Aug 2007 6:40 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: Wipers and Windows

Drew wrote:
I can only open or close the windows after five minutes by starting the engine. The wipers will also only operate when the engine is running. Both are annoying features when you are watching sport etc. Why is it not possible to operate both when the 'key' in the docking port?

Have you tried the equivalent of having a traditional ignition turned to the "II" position, i.e. with the fob inserted don't depress the clutch, but press the engine start button for a couple of seconds. I woudn't say it was ideal to leave your car "live" like this for any period of time, but that's the equivalent of what you would have to do in most cars with "normal" ignition to keep the windows and wipers live.

Post #5286 8th Aug 2007 6:52 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Ah, I've just noticed you've got an auto. Not quite sure what the equivalent of not pressing the clutch is. Maybe pressing the engine start button for a couple of seconds without your foot on the brake pedal?

Post #5287 8th Aug 2007 6:55 pm
lrlr2

Germany 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Nazca Sand

yes, if auto, stay off the break and you can run accessories even nav, sunroof too i thinks..s..s.s

Post #5296 8th Aug 2007 7:59 pm
mack

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Wipers and Windows

NightFox wrote:
Drew wrote:

Have you tried the equivalent of having a traditional ignition turned to the "II" position, i.e. with the fob inserted don't depress the clutch, but press the engine start button for a couple of seconds. I woudn't say it was ideal to leave your car "live" like this for any period of time, but that's the equivalent of what you would have to do in most cars with "normal" ignition to keep the windows and wipers live.

presing the start button before pressing the brake(system test) also acts as the pre-ignition in diesel engines, where it is not good practice to start up immediatley

Post #5300 8th Aug 2007 8:38 pm
Drew

Just tried putting the key in and pressing the start button without pushing the foot brake and yes the windows and wiper can be used o.k. The above also starts the lift pump, at least I think that is the noise. Is there any way of operating the wipers and windows without starting the lift pump?

Post #5311 8th Aug 2007 9:26 pm
themanhimself

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

help me please what is a lift pump and
yes i have a diesel auto pressing the start without the brake will put on accessories thanks

Post #5328 9th Aug 2007 9:49 am
Drew

Perhaps the term 'lift pump' is out of date and what I should have said is that the fuel system is pressurised when the 'ignition' is on. This may be common practice in a modern diesel, though in my last diesel car ( a 1998 Astra ) the technology was of the pre common rail type and the fuel system did not operate until the starter motor was operated. Hope the explanation is clear.

Post #5331 9th Aug 2007 10:53 am
themanhimself

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

great thank you so much

Post #5350 9th Aug 2007 3:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1