Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > My Road Is Like An Ice Rink!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

WOW xmas the season of good will to all men Laughing .... (except vaners) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #52485 20th Dec 2009 10:01 pm
iangam

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

AndyT wrote:
Dave wrote:
Been driving mine on ice covered roads today without any problems. The FL2 in GGS mode is a mean beast.
Don't be scared, why buy a 4x4 if you can't use it Rolling Eyes

You're a hero Yawn
Aberdeen's not the hilliest place on the planet.
The past few days I've been out rescuing friends and have descended 1 in 5 hills coated with compacted snow/ice. At times, I couldn't have stopped if required - ABS working overtime on all wheels. My question still remains - Would Grabber AT2s be a significant improvement over the Wranglers I currently have?

Coming back up one such tricky hill, I breezed past an apparently stranded Defender Shocked That seemed very strange but it made more sense when I saw the woman behind the wheel as I passed Whistle

I run BFG's on my 90 and they are good in this weather, I've not tried AT2's but have been lead to believe that they are as good as BFG's, soI would say you would find them noticable better in this weather.

Post #52486 20th Dec 2009 10:19 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: My Road Is Like An Ice Rink!!!!

athelstan wrote:

Idea If you've had the FL2 10mths and are asking the silly questions re the DSC and TRP then Sir I suggest either you spend 10hrs reading for once the Owners Manual, or give the FL2 to someone with more gumption than yourself Banging Head

Shocked WOW athelstan, you sound like somebody else I know Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52491 20th Dec 2009 10:35 pm
MikeP

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

How about digging the snow/ice away in strips at intervals along the road? That way you don't have to shovel it all, and you know you have several points in the road to aim for if you need to stop? In case of emergency, break dance.

Post #52614 22nd Dec 2009 1:28 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

The way you describe the conditions, -asuming you dont have winter-tyres on, JUST LEAVE THE CAR WHERE IT IS!

Remember the weight of the FL2 is a little bit disadvantageous on wet ice downhill. It will be like a tobagen.
If you drive though, DONT HIT THE BRAKES! You shall STEER through any obstacles, and in fact maybee even hit the gas-pedal helping you steer. But if you are unexperienced with these conditions, having summer-tyres on your car. -dont even attenpt to drive. 4x4 does not help under such conditions. Laws of physics roules.

We are familiar with such conditions here in Norway, but we have winter-tyres, and that helps conciderably.
But even we would be very careful driving if the conditions are as you describe them.

Driving on snow: NO problem.
Driving on cold, frozen ice: Not a big problem, but we pay more attention.
Driving on warm, slippery, wet ice: A BIG challenge, espescially up or down hill.

This is given we have solid winter-tyres (not the useless M+S-tyres, or so called "All year round" tyres)

Report back what happened. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #52624 22nd Dec 2009 2:11 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

As Viking says, it is all about laws of physics. If you exceed the coefficient of friction between tyre and surface due to momentum then you're going to hit something you didn't want to. If you're on the flat, then momentum will be lost eventually and you will stop - hopefully in time. Hills are very different - gravity is now the enemy, quickly increasing momentum.
I have to say the M&S tyres are little use on ice. I guess even AT tyres will have modest limits. No substitute for studs or chains I fear.

Post #52630 22nd Dec 2009 3:15 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

AndyT wrote:
Dave wrote:
Been driving mine on ice covered roads today without any problems. The FL2 in GGS mode is a mean beast.
Don't be scared, why buy a 4x4 if you can't use it Rolling Eyes

You're a hero Yawn
Aberdeen's not the hilliest place on the planet.

Well it certainly ain't the flattest either. It's actually situated on 2 hills. Also having 6 inches of snow over night, people without 4x4's were certainly strugling this morning with one of the main routes (Anderson drive) being closed to all traffic until the gritters could clear it properly.

Could do yourself a favour and get on an LRE course.....you will certainly learn loads about the car and what it can actually do. Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #52631 22nd Dec 2009 3:20 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
WOW xmas the season of good will to all men Laughing .... (except FARMERS)

Thumbs Up

Post #52641 22nd Dec 2009 5:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12