« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tyre date codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Tyre date codes

A friend of mine recently got a quote (from a well known retailer) for two new hi-spec Goodyear tyres. The quote was high so he decided to research prices on the internet, he later returned to the retailer and quoted an internet price in an attempt to get price match. The internet price was verified and my friend was asked to wait a couple of minutes while they checked their stock; soon after they agreed to match the internet price. The price was accepted and the tyres fitted.

My friend was intrigued by the very quick offer to match the internet price and asked the reason ( the saving was over 30%). He was told that the retailer had a policy not to sell tyres over a certain age, when they checked the date code on the tyres they offered to him they were within a month of that limit. Beyond that time limit the tyres would be moved on at a lower price via an associated internet outlet; the tyres in question were not popular size so the retailer decided to match the price to make the sale, anticipating that the tyres wouldn't sell before their self imposed sell by date.

So if the age of a new tyre can affect its price it has got to be worth understanding the date codes, also there may be retailers out their who are less up front about this. Given that age of tyres is not something that will be of too much concern around here (thinking how quick NP eats his rubber doughnuts!) maybe this could be useful finding cheaper tyres. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #51361 2nd Dec 2009 8:46 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The date codes are quite simple to understand, but this is a good point. Older tyres deteriorate, without being as old as you might think. If they're older than 5 years some professionals say you should really consider changing.

On the sidewall of all car tyres there will be a small square box (with rounded edges) that will have a 4 digit number. The first 2 digits refer to the week in the year (up to 52 obviously) they were made, the 3rd and 4th digit refer to the year they were made in. for example 2109 would mean that the tyre was produced in the 21st week of 2009.

Couple of other things, it is rare that all the tyres on your vehicle will have the same code, and as far as I am aware there is no limit to the age that tyres can be sold. However, the big retailers and dealers won't have stock kicking around for too long.

As a last bit, the tyres that came on my Freely 2 are a year older than the car. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #51407 2nd Dec 2009 9:01 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

OK, here goes I just KNOW that CG will be on my tail ....

The basis for this story arises from a caravanning forum.

Tyres on caravans are very rarely worn out, but conscientious owners will replace their tyres at around five/six years of age. Tyres on caravans may not cover the miles of a typical car but they do work an awful lot harder, e.g. my ‘van weighs in at 1450kg and sits on two tyres, where the average car of this weight sits on fours tyres. So it is very important that ‘van tyres are maintained in good order.

That said if tyres are bought for a ‘van that are already 12 months old then they are already at a considerable disadvantage in terms of life expectancy in the eyes of a conscientious owner, hence it is as well to understand the date coding to make sure you are getting the youngest tyres possible.

Given my friends experience buying tyres close to their sell by date maybe that gives a slight advantage to car drivers. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #51410 2nd Dec 2009 9:23 pm
athelstan

Here's my tyre data related to when I ordered and took delivery of my FL2 "Newport":

Date Ordered: 29th August'09 (last date to order this "special model" was 31/Aug.) Told at the time of order that the Newports would be built in October for November delivery in Switzerland.

Date Delivered: November 21st.

Tyres on my Newport at delivery: Goodyear M&S (Made in Germany) all 4 dated 2509. (w/c 22 June) Thumbs Up

Tyres changed on delivery to "Winter" Tyres to comply with Swiss Traffic & Insurance laws: Continental CrossContact Winter (Made in Germany) all 4 dated 4109. (w/c 12th October) Thumbs Up

Post #51427 3rd Dec 2009 9:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1