Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Specifications (was 2000 kg and 7 litres /100km)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
K1W1

Specifications (was 2000 kg and 7 litres /100km)

I see from the launch TV clip that the Freelander 2 will be rated at 2000 kg braked trailer towing capacity (aparently that will allow you to tow a 20 tonne plane, listen to the clip) and the TD4 will have a combined fuel consumption of 7 litres / 100 km.

Post #497 24th Jul 2006 12:23 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I didn't follow the 20 t plane bit. The auto deisel is only rated 1750kg. I sat in the car at the motorshow. I didn't like the SE cloth and leather seats but the car felt very very nice to sit in. Big problem though it will only take the same size dog cage which the existing car does so it looks like we won't be buying it Crying or Very sad

Post #498 25th Jul 2006 10:11 am
K1W1

pelyma wrote:
I didn't follow the 20 t plane bit. The auto deisel is only rated 1750kg. I sat in the car at the motorshow. I didn't like the SE cloth and leather seats but the car felt very very nice to sit in. Big problem though it will only take the same size dog cage which the existing car does so it looks like we won't be buying it Crying or Very sad

The clip on LR TV specifically says that the Freelander 2 is rated to tow 2000kg - there were no exceptions! The comment was to the effect that because you could tow 2000kg you could tow a 20 tonne plane (I think the script writers pobably were not so good at maths).
Are you saying that there is no more room behind the rear seats than the curren version?

Post #499 26th Jul 2006 1:03 am
SN

England 

What I would say about the rear space is that it is probably longer BUT, that spare wheel being inside the car means it has a VERY HIGH floor - a good 2 inches above the bottom edge of the door opening - there is a big step there.
Have a look at this...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender (on order) | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)

Post #501 26th Jul 2006 1:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K1W1

My conspiracy theories are confirmed. Very Happy
The space under the floor is indeed designed for a space spacer spare. I bet the Yanks get the space saver on the base model at least. Maybe everybody will. Fitting the space saver on the base model lowers the weight which allows them to publish better fuel economy figures as the light weight version is always the one used for testing.
Ford do exactly the same thing here with the Mazda Tribute / Ford Escape - they have a full sized spare in a space saver hole and raise the floor about 2 inches.

P.S. Where are the electric window switches located on the rear passenger doors? I can't see them in the photo.

P.P.S. Does the glass on the rear window raise independently from the door a la RRS? It lloks like there might be two small hinges at the top of the glass pane.

Post #502 26th Jul 2006 7:47 am
pelyma

The car I looked in had a full size steel wheel, sorry I didn't look at the rear seats. The auto info was in the press pack that Dickgriff posted on Disco3.co.uk

I think I have made an error in measuring the boot! The spare wheel sits under the pull out floor that sits between the wheel arches and that distance is definatley 1 m (39 inches) I am sure that floor was square as it fitted over the spare wheel and bits, in which case the depth must be 39 inches too and problem solved. I am going to take a measure to the game fair I am going to this week as it is bound to be there so I can be sure. The wife has mentioned looking at (shh) Toymotas and Nissans Shocked Shocked Shocked Crying or Very sad Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #503 26th Jul 2006 8:32 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

The 'S' model will get a "Land Rover tyre repair system" in place of a spare tyre.

The 'GS' model and above appear to have a "Temporary spare wheel", no mention of 'space saver' or 'compact' Confused

The spare was definitely steel, not alloy as on the D3/RRS.

Post #504 26th Jul 2006 10:35 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

K1W1 wrote:
P.P.S. Does the glass on the rear window raise independently from the door a la RRS? It lloks like there might be two small hinges at the top of the glass pane.

Having played with it for quite a while, I can say that it doesn't, unless there's a secret hidden button that the 10 of us couldn't find Whistle Whistle

Post #505 26th Jul 2006 10:39 am
pelyma

The wheel I saw looked full size to me on an SE but steel not alloy

Post #506 26th Jul 2006 11:00 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Yup, looked full sized to me too, hence "Temporary" and not "Space Saver" I guess Smile

Post #507 26th Jul 2006 11:01 am
K1W1

I guess that we have another of the cultural differences (mudguards, wings, fenders). By space saver I mean a narrow light weight tyre on a steel rim (the outside diameter of the tyre being the same as the standard wheel).
It sounds like that is what you people mean by temporary spare.
The space saving part comes from the tyre being narrower and hence taking up less boot height or underfloor storage depth.
I guess the Land Rover repair system will be a can of gunk and maybe an electric pump. I wonder how well it will work when you puncture a sidewall when the tyres are soaking wet and covered in mud?

Post #508 27th Jul 2006 3:38 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Kiwi, we call that a space saver as well Smile

Land Rover are calling their spare wheel a "temporary spare" but it did appear to be a full sized steel wheel and not a space saver.

Sorry for the confusion Embarassed

Post #509 27th Jul 2006 9:29 am
Very Annoyed

Who's that chap in the green and ble shirt behind the bonnet?

RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE Zambezi silver, Alpaca, Privicy Glass, Sun roof, PTI, Tasmod's sills, DVD for the offspring, Sex on wheels! RRSPORT.CO.UK sticker on back window! S/C grill & Vents, Front & Rear Lamp Guards, Driving lamps and mud in places you wouldn't believe!
D3 for the wife - No extras! (she has to earn them!)

I like Boobies!!!!

Post #510 27th Jul 2006 11:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1