Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Chassis and Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landrover?

Chassis and Engine

I'm looking to buy a FL2 but have read/heard reports that the engine is from a mondeo and the chassis is from a Focus?. Is this true? - sounds barmy to me.

Post #4781 20th Jul 2007 8:56 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me too!

The engine is a PSA group/Ford partnerhip engine. 2.2L Turbo diesel, but all badged up and optimised for use in Landrover.

Chassis wise, much bigger than ford focus, although I had heard there was some relationship to new S-max MPV.

Either way, I wouldn't worry as its a great car. Had mine 5 months now and still loving driving it. No real problems to date. Ford partnership should offer better future for Land Rover, and parts/servicing may even become cheaper with improved reliability.

Go and test drive one, you'll never look back.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #4789 20th Jul 2007 10:49 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
the ford group ...

At present the Ford Group is Ford, Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar and Land Rover, so there some commonalities. Although Ford now want to sell off Land Rover & Jaguar .... another example of selling off the family silver ....

my understanding is that if there are any chassis commonalities for our beloved FL2 then they are with the Mondeo/S-Max/Galaxy (i.e. next group up). However I would say whatever those 'technical' commonalities are the FL2 stands proud as a product in it's own right.

The Focus chassis does have a relationship the Volvo S40/V50. The new Mondeo range has nothing more than a 2.0 litre diesel at present, though I'm sure it has some relationship with the 2.2 motor in our FL2's. Ford/Peugeot produce a wonderful V6 turbo diesel, I can't understand why it isn't an option in the FL2 and the new Mondeo.

Don't spend even a moment worrying about the association with other (Ford) products, the FL2 stand out on its own, it IS a terrific car. If you have read some of the threads on this forum you'll know that some of us have had a few niggles with the car; however not one of us regrets buying the car, once you get behind the wheel there is a 'feel good' factor that takes over and completely overwhelms any of the minor problems we have experienced.

I am a high mileage user, i.e. first service (15K miles) within six months, I have enjoyed every single mile, and still go out for a drive just for the heck of it .....

So go out and buy yourself an FL2 .....

Post #4793 20th Jul 2007 11:40 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

I agree with everthing Avtur has said, had mine since Jan 3rd, still dream about it( my wife wants to know who "Landy "is?)
David David

Post #4801 21st Jul 2007 2:47 pm
steve r

United States 

From what i have read is 3.2 liter gas engine is from new volvo s80 and chasis is a shortened s 80.

Post #4986 31st Jul 2007 8:35 pm
insider

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The Freelander is part of a shared technology platform within ford of europe called eucd , this means there are shared parts between freelander , new mondeo , smax , new galaxy and all volvo product the first being S80 . This does not mean the lowest common denominator but the best for everyone by reducing part cost because approx 1 million parts could be negotiated from suppliers . What this all means is that every part is engineered to the highest requirement , normally freelander , this actually means the mondeo for example is over engineered , items like the engine are specifically tailored for land rover for wading and operating angle. Hope this helps explain

Post #5005 1st Aug 2007 9:15 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'd like to 'third' Avtur and David's comments. 13K just rolled over on the clock, had the car since 22 Jan, yeh its had plenty problems, but still get a huge grin driving the thing, and even just sitting in traffic, the car gets so many looks, even from women. I try to convince myself the chicks are looking at me but, I suspect it is definately the car. Thumbs Up

Post #5041 2nd Aug 2007 10:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1