« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New 17" AT tyres fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey
New 17" AT tyres fitted

For anyone looking for a more aggresive AT tyre to fit the standard FL2 17" rim (235/65/17) try the Kumho KL78 AT.
I've just had a set fitted (for winter use only) pic's of which are on my gallery.
Only been on a week but so far so good, no noticable road noise and plenty of grip, price not too bad either, £86+vat fitted.
Just need to see how they wear but looking at some of the US tyre review sites they seem to be pretty good.

Post #48668 13th Oct 2009 6:50 pm
Lee S

United Kingdom 

Where you get them fitted - any damage done to the alloy with the tyre change over ? Rolling Eyes

Post #48745 15th Oct 2009 12:27 am
sammythedog

Got them from our local tyre dealer (Ian Jones Tyres - Kington, Heref's), no damage at all as you would expect from any decent tyre fitter these days.

Post #48778 15th Oct 2009 7:29 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

interesting....I need a set of 4 soon... '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #49220 23rd Oct 2009 6:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i might too

Any photos Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49221 23rd Oct 2009 6:56 pm
sammythedog

Photo's on my gallery, Wink

Post #49223 23rd Oct 2009 7:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49224 23rd Oct 2009 8:18 pm
sammythedog

Thanks npinks, never was quite sure how to add photo's to threads Confused Smile

Post #49229 23rd Oct 2009 9:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Copy the bbcode from below the pics in your gallery Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49230 23rd Oct 2009 9:16 pm

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

they look good, I have been looking for AT tires for a while now but I don't want to compromise the cars handling on road so I would be prepared to swap back to road tires during the summer. Can I ask where did you get them? I am not sure if its best to mail order then find someone to fit them or find a local dealer, somewhere!

Thanks

222 www.222photography.co.uk

Post #49237 24th Oct 2009 10:39 am
sammythedog

Got them locally as post above but if you go onto the Kumho web site you can search for a local dealer, you can also get them via mail order from Camskill but remember the extra fitting costs.

These are for winter use only as I've got 18" wheels & tyres for summer but I'd be quite happy to run them for 12 months of the year as there's not much differance in handleing & road noise.

Post #49263 24th Oct 2009 7:59 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Also, something like the Cooper Discoverer ATRs that I have work well. Good on road and good off.

No noticeable noise difference, and good grip even in wet.

Also, they're cheap, and in the right size size for 17s Very Happy

I'm sure I've seen someone else on here who went for the goodyear AT tyres, and gave good reviews. I guess if you're looking there are 2 different classes of AT tyres (although manufacturers call them all AT)

You have the road biased (These Kumhos, cooper ATR, pirelli, Goodyear & others). These all look like chunky road tyres, with deep treads. This will be 60-80% road biased, although different manufacturers vary a lot with these ratings.

Then you have the offroad biased (General AT2, BFGoodrich, Cooper STT etc). These look at lot more like offroad tyres, but not as chunky as mud terrain tyres. These quite often get classed as 50/50 off/on road, although again some manufacturers have wierd ideas for these ratings.

In my opinion, the road biased ones are, as suggested, more geared up for the road, with some offroading (probably better for an FL2, although I'm sure lots of people would argue), the off road biased tyres are less road biased, and more suited to a Disco used more offroad (again, I'm sure someone will disagree).

The big thing, and where everyone has their own taste and choices, is that you can get a bad road tyre (or even car/tyre combination) that is worse than a good offroad AT, or even MTR. The same as you can get offroad or road AT tryes, that are better than a bad MTR in the rough.

Lots of people rave about the General AT2s and goodyear MTRs, as they seem to have gotten very good tyres on road, whilst being offroad tyres, but I'm sure (again people may disagree) that you get used to certain tyres, and driving your car in certain ways, and can compensate for a tyres characteristics without realising it, and think they work really well. A lot of people won't go anywhere near the limit of a tyre on the road either (not talking about understeer on wet roads, I mean really hitting a tyre in the dry) so the limit of a road tyring being more than an offroad tyre is irrelevant.

To sum up, I like Cooper Discoverer ATR, and would buy another set, others may not Thumbs Up

Hope this helps

Rich

Post #49285 25th Oct 2009 12:32 pm
sammythedog

Good summing Rich Smile ,

I went for the Kumho's as they were the most aggresive looking tread pattern in the standard 17" FL2 size that i could find (there are'nt many!) bearing in mind that they will only be on for the winter months and should be able to cope with muddy/wet grassy fields and the odd bit of snow that we might get.

I'd read posts on here where differant sized General AT2 / BFGoodrich AT's had been fitted which I was'nt keen on doing so the Kumho's were a good compromise Thumbs Up .

Post #49312 25th Oct 2009 9:00 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I went with the Coopers, as I wanted an all year round tyre, and right size as well (wish they looked more aggressive, kinda look like a new road tyre with lots of tread).

Kumhos definitely look more aggressive, are they winter rated, or just M&S (mud & snow, not Marks and Spencers) rated like the coopers? Although these will definitely be better in the winter than the M&S rated continental tyres that come with the car

Rich

Post #49337 26th Oct 2009 10:54 am
sammythedog

They have an M&S rating on the tyre side wall but then on the Kumho web site they are also winter rated so the best of both worlds really Very Happy

I nearly went with the Cooper M&S as it looked quite aggressive but as there were no dealers in my area the Kumho's got the nod Cool

Post #49354 26th Oct 2009 7:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1