« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Manual gearbox noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

chicken george wrote:
4x4 upon set off from standing, then it cuts out immediately if not needed, only cutting back in if wheel slip occurs on front wheels.

thanks CG, and are you aware of the click through the gearlever relating to this ?

Iain

Post #47642 21st Sep 2009 4:04 pm
FL2BJW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I have had this problem since i took delivery of my (then new) TD4 GS Manual in 2008. Returned to dealer who advised this was a vehicle characteristic. Its the reverse gear lock out soleniod, which stops you putting the gearlever into reverse. The noise and vibration occurs every time the vehicle speed reduces below about 10 mph. I reluctently accepted this after driving the dealers demonstrator, which did the same thing and having the explaination confirmed by landrover technical services. They did change the solenoid on the next service which improved it slightly, but it still happens everytime. I wrote to landrover expressing my dissappointment that a vehicle costing £24K had been put into production with this defect, but all I got back was a letter confirming what the dealer had told me.

Post #47690 22nd Sep 2009 7:54 pm
alex_pescaru

FL2BJW wrote:
I wrote to landrover expressing my dissappointment that a vehicle costing £24K had been put into production with this defect,...

I don't understand you guys... What "defect"? Question
You consider a defect a normal technical sound and vibration? Shocked
That solenoid must prevent the "strong ones" to put the car in reverse when it still moves forward.
It should be strong enough itself, so it will make a sound and a vibration. So what?
Boy.... Banging Head

PS: Regarding the "strong ones" remark...
A group of guys were tested. They needed to fit some geometrical items in their shaped locations on a board.
As a result, the guys was divided in three groups: smart ones, stupid ones and strong ones. Laughing

Post #47696 22nd Sep 2009 8:59 pm
ham888

United Kingdom 

FL2BJW wrote:
I have had this problem since i took delivery of my (then new) TD4 GS Manual in 2008. Returned to dealer who advised this was a vehicle characteristic. Its the reverse gear lock out soleniod, which stops you putting the gearlever into reverse. The noise and vibration occurs every time the vehicle speed reduces below about 10 mph. I reluctently accepted this after driving the dealers demonstrator, which did the same thing and having the explaination confirmed by landrover technical services. They did change the solenoid on the next service which improved it slightly, but it still happens everytime. I wrote to landrover expressing my dissappointment that a vehicle costing £24K had been put into production with this defect, but all I got back was a letter confirming what the dealer had told me.

Thats exactly what it is, the reverse gear solenoid. My car did it from day one - no longer own the car. Took it to dealer they said it was a characteristic.....

Have to say, always annoyed me though for the time I owned it.

By the way theres previous older threads about this on this forum.

Post #47697 22nd Sep 2009 9:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12