Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Keeping the Dog alive...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MudBug

Ireland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Keeping the Dog alive...

I have a Freelander "S" model, one up from the basic.

As the hot weather has, finally, arrived, I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience of using one of these "trellis" like, plastic, window grills designed for dogs.

Does anyone know, when the alarm is engaged in "dog in car" mode (no internal sensor), is there a deadlock on the door to prevent someone from hooking the, very large, door lock buttons and opening the door?

Small Terrier would put up a fight but no match for a determined thief...

Any other, similar, ventilation accessories available?

Thanks for your help.

Post #43845 24th Jun 2009 11:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

no deadlocks in 'dogmode'

My brother has used the 'RAC' branded guard before without problems as it slots over the window and the upper part slots into the recess where a closed window would and seams sturdy enough for his Dalmatian trained by Houdini in the art of escaping Thumbs Up

not to preach, but personally i wouldn't leave a dog in a car in the hot weather you would be risking been fined by the police/RSPCA (if you have the same laws in ireland) or putting the dogs life at risk etc etc etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #43848 24th Jun 2009 11:50 pm
MudBug

That sounds like the Gadget I'm thinking of, npinks.

Very rarely leave the dog but I find that even when filling up and leaving the car on the forecourt, whilst I pay, is long enough for it to get very hot - even with all four windows open half an inch. And you can wait an age at a bank till.

Would really only be used in such circumstances.

But if the door can be opened easily...

Something for the "What features would you like" thread - Standalone Air Conditioning! javascript:emoticon('Cool')

Post #43849 25th Jun 2009 12:14 am
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I hope you take this the right way, but if you don't....well it needs to be said.

You should never leave a dog in a car in the peak of summer for even a few minutes, windows part open or closed it makes no difference - period

Temperatures can soar inside a car whether windows are open or shut, its a freaking glass house for christs sake! Dogs internal body temp is 38 C, once they reach 41C they are in serious trouble. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #43857 25th Jun 2009 9:37 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think MudBug comes across as a responsible dog owner, else he wouldn't be asking the question. So, it doesn't help him with the finger wagging ...

I have 3 dogs and take them with me all over the place. They are Flyball competition dogs and are often, through necessity, in the car - but not when it is hot of course. My FL2 is converted for them - the back seats are permanently folded down (it is now a 2-seater car!) and the floor is protected by VetBed material (bought by the metre) that goes from the tailgate to the back of the front seats. There is a barrier clipped to the back of the front seat headrests. They are not individually caged and have the entire space to themselves, but I highly recommend the Tailgate guard from Barjo which I have - a piccie is on their home page - www.barjo.co.uk. This allows you to open the tailgate and have them barriered in, but with plenty of fresh air. I always do this when filling up for fuel. The Tailgate guard can be locked with a padlock to deter dog-nappers!. Chris

Post #43859 25th Jun 2009 9:58 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

From the RSPCA website

Quote:
Even when it is just 22°C (72°F) outside, the temperature in a car can soar to 47°C (117°F) within 60 minutes.

Apparently if you crank up the heating you can get that down to 30 minutes! 

Post #43863 25th Jun 2009 10:14 am
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Turning on the 'child locks' will add a little more security.

Post #43914 25th Jun 2009 5:59 pm
MudBug

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

Excellent tips and advice, as always. Child locks! Didn't even think of them.

The ideal solution might be TTC's tailgate guard and the resurrection of the opening tailgate window with some deadlocks. (Or a dog so ferocious that no one would come near the open window!)

'Til that happy day I'll just have to carry the dog into the store with me... Very Happy

To paraphrase Snoopy: "Never leave your dog in the car. Leave your Grandfather in the car, not the dog!".

Post #43930 25th Jun 2009 9:22 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

ttc546 wrote:

I have 3 dogs and take them with me all over the place. They are Flyball competition dogs and are often, through necessity, in the car

Trying to find out a bit about this flyballing for 'Monty' our attention deficit "Terrier based Heinz 57" would appreciate any web links you can offer.

Cheers ... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #43939 25th Jun 2009 11:19 pm
ttc546

I run my own Flyball Club and we have 25 dogs/owners having lots of fun.

Here is the link to our site: http://www.rookyracers.co.uk which will tell you all about Flyball.

A video of us racing (my wife is running one of our dogs - the 3rd one shown, and I am running my lovely Milly - the fastest of the team, the last one shown : - &eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Erookyracers%2Eco%2Euk%2F4%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

We are competing again at a competition in Frimley on Saturday.

A map of Flyball Teams around the country if you want to contact any of them. http://www.flyball.org.uk/flyball_map.php Chris

Post #43949 26th Jun 2009 6:49 am
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green
Barjo

Has any one fitted a Barjo tailgate guard.They have to be secured by drilling brackets to the trim any views news would be of help. 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #47558 18th Sep 2009 9:34 am
ttc546

Yes, I have the Barjo tailgaurd fitted. They are literally 1/2 a mile away from my home! Thumbs Up Their premises are a unit on a farm, and the farm is where I train my dogs at Flyball!

To answer your question - Barjo fitted the tailguard and the top right and left brackets are rivetted to the rear C-pillar speaker facings. The bottom brackets are rivetted to the floor carpet board.. Each bracket is connected to the gaurd with wing nuts, for easy removal.

With hindsight, I would have asked them to rivet the top brackets lower down, as now the left speaker facing is coming adrift. I keep popping it back but it pops right back out again.

Will show pics if I can be bothered to get the camera out. Whistle Chris

Post #47560 18th Sep 2009 10:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1