« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Brake Pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
Brake Pads

Having had a squeaky off-side rear brake for a while now and with a trip to France next weekend I decided to take the car to the local kwik-fit centre to have the pads checked and replaced.

Much to my horror the brake pads on both rear wheels were damaged with the lining split and coming away from the backing plate Shocked . Car has only done 22,500 miles and examining the pads I would say that they could have gone on for another 8 - 10,000 miles if they weren't split...

Has anyone else suffered with premature pad failure Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #46781 22nd Aug 2009 4:09 pm
ad210358

England 

I had a second service at a little over 20k and ended up having new discs on the front and new pads all round, I don't know if the reason was the same as yours or just wear but never changed the pads before on a vehicle at 20k I normally get between 60k and 80k of the rears on other vehicles I have had. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #46799 22nd Aug 2009 8:26 pm
BigJC

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Re: Brake Pads

Dave wrote:
Having had a squeaky off-side rear brake for a while now and with a trip to France next weekend I decided to take the car to the local kwik-fit centre to have the pads checked and replaced.

Much to my horror the brake pads on both rear wheels were damaged with the lining split and coming away from the backing plate Shocked . Car has only done 22,500 miles and examining the pads I would say that they could have gone on for another 8 - 10,000 miles if they weren't split...

Has anyone else suffered with premature pad failure Question

Hi Dave

In a word yes - see this post for the full tale http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3542.html?highlight=
Essentially the same thing happened but the pads did come off the backing and destroyed the discs. LR wouldn't accept this as a fault but did give me a free service - slightly frustration but worth more than the discs and pads. It quite clearly is a fault with the pads, they don't appear to have any sealant around the pads to stop water ingress.

Jonathan

Post #46802 23rd Aug 2009 12:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1