« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Wheel bearing?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Wheel bearing?!

My car had developed an annoying whirring noise which sounds as though it's coming from the front of the car. It starts at just over 30 mph and get louder with speed Shocked Anyone esle experienced this or any guesses?? Got to book it in next week, but I'm guessing wheel bearing Big Cry Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #43989 26th Jun 2009 7:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I had a whirring from a rear wheel thought it was a badly adjusted brake but turned out to be a bearing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #43991 26th Jun 2009 8:08 pm
philsh

As I thought nick. I know it'll be that Evil or Very Mad Not very good at 20,000 miles Crying or Very sad Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #43992 26th Jun 2009 8:12 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

see my post on aircon problem have you tried turning aircon off?

Post #43994 26th Jun 2009 9:21 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I had a front wheel bearing replaced a few weeks ago....(After reporting the issue from new to the dealer, who initialy couldnt/wouldnt hear it....) then when it got SO bad they HAD to hear it, I was fobbed off with "its tyre noise...not covered under warranty"...

I finally got someone at the stealer to admit it was a bearing....who replaced it but nearly killed me in the process, but not putting the brake calliper back on properly, and after a few miles of driving, the flexi-hose fell apart dumping all the brake fluid on the road as I was aproaching roundabout on a dual-carrage way. Censored

Needless to say, I'll NOT be using the dealer again...despite the "generous" offer of 50% discount on my next service. '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #43998 26th Jun 2009 9:49 pm
philsh

No I haven't tried turning off the air con, but I'm 99% it's a wheel bearing. I'm not impressed it's gone at such a low mileage. I know the issues with trying to get the dealers to 'hear' the noise, as driving around town it's not that pronounced. However, as speed picks up over 40 mph, it get very loud. I can also feel it through the steering Shocked I'll run it in to dealers on Monday. thanks for comments Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #44032 27th Jun 2009 6:17 pm
philsh

Took it in to the dealers today and one of the mechanics agreed it sounds like a wheel bearing. He also said he's never heard of a wheel bearing going on an FL2 - what a shock!! Shocked Got to wait 3 weeks to get it done though. Got 3 weeks of having a headache driving now! Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #44129 29th Jun 2009 3:50 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Identical bearings operating under identical conditions have different individual endurance lifes. Therefore, the lifetime of a bearing is defined as the expected lifetime for 90 % of the bearings. In other words: some bearings will show a premature wear. This has nothing to do with the quality of the car.

A damaged bearing can indeed make a lot of noice, amplified by other components. Actually, this is an important advantage as you can hear it long before any danger threatens.

I know that typical reaction " I've never seen that before". Doesn't help you much does it ? Be happy it occured within the guarantee period. Wink

Post #44190 30th Jun 2009 4:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Paul wrote:

I know that typical reaction " I've never seen that before". Doesn't help you much does it ? Be happy it occured within the guarantee period. Wink

My dealer also said they'd never heard of a FL2 needing a wheelbearing replaced.. Confused '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #44192 30th Jun 2009 5:22 pm
Paul

That's fine isn't it ? Very Happy

for the rest of us Mr. Green

Post #44194 30th Jun 2009 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philsh

Cheers Paul Thumbs Up Yeah I'm pleased it occurred during the warranty period, but it'd be nice to have a problem the dealer had experienced before Whistle Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #44269 1st Jul 2009 5:28 pm
Paul

I'm not so sure philsh. Replacing a wheel bearing is quite a routine job so you shouldn't be afraid they don't have the required experience (yet).

Post #44272 1st Jul 2009 6:02 pm
philsh

Paul wrote:
I'm not so sure philsh. Replacing a wheel bearing is quite a routine job so you shouldn't be afraid they don't have the required experience (yet).

Time will tell mate. I've got a two week wait in any case. I'm sure they'll fix it and fingers crossed it'll be a one off Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #44273 1st Jul 2009 6:05 pm
philsh

Just got the car back. It was the front nearside wheel bearing as I suspected. I also told them about the outer edge of the tyre wearing unevenly on the same side. They've done the 4 wheel allignment. Time will tell, but at least I don't have to put up with that Censored noise from the bearing - it was getting really noisy!! Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #45766 25th Jul 2009 2:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1