Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Cornwall the wettest ever
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

Anybody used kwik fit mobile to replace a tyre? Just been looking at my caravan docs and they are one of the recommended repairers

If anybody has used them how long do they take to come out as I am only on a overnight stop over Confused

Though I will try ATS in morning as they have a branch here in Tewksbury Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45426 19th Jul 2009 9:14 pm
ad210358

England 

Nick, I would leave Kwik Fit well alone, if you are where I think you are I hope for your sake is does not rain much tonight.

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34900 p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #45438 19th Jul 2009 11:04 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
I would 100% recommend Tyron* bands for anybody who tows. Travelling at 65mph and the caravan kept straight behind the car with not a single hint of a sway or loss of control Bow down

I got mine on when I saw a caravan send itself and it's towcar into the central reservation from the slow lane a few years before buying a caravan Shocked

* tyron bands keep the tire on the rim long enough to pull over

Fortunately, I've only ever once had a blowout on the caravan - at around 50-55 in persisitent drizzle on the 2nd lane of M1. Heard a pop, saw a puff in the o/s mirror and felt something odd. I managed to pull into nearside and then onto hard shoulder before braking to a stop (I just immediately lifted off gas, indicated and moved over into a gap). The outfit remained very stable - but I've always been careful with loading the 'van evenly.
The tyre stayed on the rim (as they are designed to) without tyron bands but was fairly well shredded. The wheel was undamaged.
Changing the wheel is a story in itself.

Post #45464 20th Jul 2009 4:41 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

ad210358 wrote:
Nick, I would leave Kwik Fit well alone, if you are where I think you are I hope for your sake is does not rain much tonight.

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34900

Well spotted ad210358, as soon as I saw kwik-fit in Nicks post I remembered the exact same post over on T&T. If ever there was a bad advert for a company than that is it.

Hell the even make my LR dealer look good Shocked Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #45465 20th Jul 2009 6:21 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Managed to get the tyre sorted today at the half way point before setting back off home, ATS charged £82 with £26 of that been due to the extra work they need to do due to the tyron band but at least I had the normal wheel back on.

I think I load the van as even as possible and it was towing like a dream till it's little problem...ATS said it looked as if the tyre had thrown it's tread due to getting too warm, possible due to underinflation, in this case it could not be the cause as I checked them before I set back off, Confused

I can only asume it was either down to a slow punture even though it was towing perfect or tyre failure for what ever reason I'll never know

on the way down the van was towing like a dog swaying back and forth I put this down to bad loading and possible windy weather

on my way back from Tewksbury it started again so this time I pulled over rehitched the van thinking stabalizer (sp?) was not gripping correctly.... No improvement...... So pulled over again and this time did a few sharp forward an back stopping movements thinking maybe the breaks were catching a little and causing the sway ( mpg was lower which made me think of this) this got the nail on the head and the swaying stopped Smile

So I now need to book it in and have the damage sorted and breaks looked at which will cost a few££££ Big Cry Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45467 20th Jul 2009 6:31 pm
ad210358

England 

If it had thrown the tread you were also lucky that you did not suffer damage to the van, when the tread starts to throw it can whip round and can rip the floor out of the van plus what else it can hit nearby, wheel arch, water heater etc etc. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #45470 20th Jul 2009 7:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

After I had done the deal at ATS and dropped the wheel off I phoned Kwik fit to get a price

they took my details and said they would call back shortly

3 hours later my phone rings I just laughed at them telling the I had sorted it a hour ago with a obviously better company Rolling with laughter

KF did a old friends breaks and just before a tight bend on the A65 his breaks failed, very lucky that he managed to get round the corner they would not accept liabilty for it at all but had his car repaired FOC I would only use them as a last resort Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45471 20th Jul 2009 7:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Tyre tread was thrown off and took out my wheel arch trim and got up the side of the van leaving small rubber marks, it also took out my caravan movers plastic cover and dented the lowest part of the caravan just under the awning skirt rail (not that I put my awning on wrong side) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45473 20th Jul 2009 7:36 pm
ad210358

England 

Sounds as though its going to be expensive, are you not planning to take the van over the water in September with the new fl2? p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #45475 20th Jul 2009 7:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I am flying to Portugal in september, then pick the car up a week later or so

I doubt I will be able to get a week off again after that, just a few trip around the local area over the weekends

I get my local caravan company to look at the repairs then decide if I'll claim on the insurance Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45476 20th Jul 2009 8:06 pm
ad210358

England 

It won't be cheap for the repairs, I had mine hit by a lorry door on the boat last year, we believe he opened his door onto it as it was not there when we went on the boat but was there when we got off but nobody saw anything so there was not a lot we could do about it. Not to serious but it put a crease in the N/S panel and was quoted £1000 labour + parts as they were going to put a new skin on the N/S, decided to live with it and traded it in this year and the dealer never mentioned it.

You may be able to get the dents filled and sprayed as there is one or two companies started doing the to caravans now. You will haver to get yours done really as your van is what three years old tops? p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #45479 20th Jul 2009 8:37 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The main panel is just scuffed leaving rubber which will rub off, but might need a respray if scratched

the dents are just below the awning skirt line a look like they will knock out as you can get behind

either way it will cost more than my excess Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45480 20th Jul 2009 8:48 pm
ad210358

England 

Trouble is though Nick, the dents will have streched the alluminium panel making it difficult to knock out. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #45487 20th Jul 2009 9:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'll post some photos up when I get the chance but think it will be sorted to near enough new

going to get a dedicated caravan jack though either a Alko or similar model then i wouldn't have had to wait 2 hours to get going again Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #45489 20th Jul 2009 9:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12