« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > SD4 auto MY14 thump when held on (or releasing) foot brake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mike+

United Kingdom 
SD4 auto MY14 thump when held on (or releasing) foot brake

Have recently started noticing a problem presumably with the auto when pulling up and holding the car on the foot brake. It has only happened about half a dozen times in the last couple of weeks and seems to happen when car is hot after a journey of 30 or more miles

First noticed when wife was driving when we pulled up at roundabout after about 70 motorway miles and held on the foot brake. It seemed to thump when she took her foot off the brake. Did this several times in a row at successive roundabouts

It happened to me when I pulled over between two cars to let someone through and I had the wheels turned ready to pull out. Just holding it with the foot brake it thumped and the car tried to surge forward and maybe moved a few inches before increased pressure stopped it

The thump is like being hit up the rear at slow speed.

The car has done just over 60k and is now due a haldex service and timing belt but I cannot see either of those causing something like this

when driving the gears change smoothly as per normal and haven't noticed it happen on shorter journeys.

Any suggestions on things to check please?

Post #441984 29th May 2024 5:45 pm
balticblueLR2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I think yours (MY14) has the "auto-neutral function", puts the transmission in neutral when you hold it on the brake for more than a few seconds, saves some emissions and a bit of fuel. When you release the brake it pops back into drive and you can pull away smoothly. There was a firmware update for the Transmission Control Module that adjusted that behaviour: Technical Bulletin LTB00782V4 has all the details and lists some other symptoms, and you can find it online or search the forum here.

Interestingly, the process appears to require retraining the TCM at different oil temperatures, which would imply (to my tiny mind, anyway) that transmission oil temperature is a performance affecting variable. As yours seems worse when the oil is hotter, there could be a correlation.

Good luck!

Post #441991 30th May 2024 4:10 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Has it had a gearbox oil change?
If not, by this age / mileage it could do with it.
New automatic transmission oil really does make a difference in the way these gearboxes perform. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #441995 30th May 2024 7:19 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I changed the ATF at 40K miles and it made a noticeable difference - smoother - less clunking. Jules

Post #442003 30th May 2024 8:58 am
Mike+

United Kingdom 

balticblueLR2 wrote:
I think yours (MY14) has the "auto-neutral function", puts the transmission in neutral when you hold it on the brake for more than a few seconds, saves some emissions and a bit of fuel. When you release the brake it pops back into drive and you can pull away smoothly. There was a firmware update for the Transmission Control Module that adjusted that behaviour: Technical Bulletin LTB00782V4 has all the details and lists some other symptoms, and you can find it online or search the forum here.

Interestingly, the process appears to require retraining the TCM at different oil temperatures, which would imply (to my tiny mind, anyway) that transmission oil temperature is a performance affecting variable. As yours seems worse when the oil is hotter, there could be a correlation.

Good luck!

Wow, thank you, that does indeed look like the exact problem. I now have a useful bit of string to follow

@jules and @bobupndown

it hasn't had a gearbox oil change and I can see that would also be worth doing despite the sealed for life (or 100,000 mile rating)

Post #442007 30th May 2024 12:01 pm
ian_clyde

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

this is called 'neutral idle', there was a technical bulletin released about it from Landrover.

i had to get an autobox software update and oil change to fix it, if you are lucky enough this will fix it.

if this does not fix it then you will either need to put up with it or get a new auto box/torque convertor as the internals are to badly worn.

it can actually be quite a bang when it happens to be honest as i am sure you have discovered Shocked

check the below link....

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...ncerns.pdf

Post #442020 30th May 2024 2:59 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
jules wrote:
I changed the ATF at 40K miles and it made a noticeable difference - smoother - less clunking.

Follow the information above with oil change and maybe the update, always best to listen to those that have gone before us/you, makes sense good luck do let us know the out come.

Post #442282 4th Jun 2024 9:55 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Mike+ wrote:

it hasn't had a gearbox oil change and I can see that would also be worth doing despite the sealed for life (or 100,000 mile rating)

"Sealed for life" - its a meaningless guarantee really.

Its no different to us humans. If you dont look after your health then you probably wont live very long. Jules

Post #442285 4th Jun 2024 10:40 am
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I,m with the others. Go for full gearbox flush.
My 2010HSE auto had this done about 4 months ago and what a difference.
Forget “sealed for life” check the gearbox builders website for correct mileage changes. Jim A
Fl2 HSE 2010 auto
Disco 2Td5 auto 2002 gone
Disci 1 300Tdi auto 1996 gone

Post #442308 4th Jun 2024 6:29 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

While you’re at it, the PTU, Haldex and differential would all benefit from new fluids and servicing.

Post #442315 4th Jun 2024 7:30 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 
Re: SD4 auto MY14 thump when held on (or releasing) foot bra

Mike+ wrote:
Have recently started noticing a problem presumably with the auto when pulling up and holding the car on the foot brake. It has only happened about half a dozen times in the last couple of weeks and seems to happen when car is hot after a journey of 30 or more miles

First noticed when wife was driving when we pulled up at roundabout after about 70 motorway miles and held on the foot brake. It seemed to thump when she took her foot off the brake. Did this several times in a row at successive roundabouts

It happened to me when I pulled over between two cars to let someone through and I had the wheels turned ready to pull out. Just holding it with the foot brake it thumped and the car tried to surge forward and maybe moved a few inches before increased pressure stopped it

The thump is like being hit up the rear at slow speed.

The car has done just over 60k and is now due a haldex service and timing belt but I cannot see either of those causing something like this

when driving the gears change smoothly as per normal and haven't noticed it happen on shorter journeys.

Any suggestions on things to check please?

I had this exact same problem just after having the gearbox and PTU oil changed.

Fortunately my MY13 HSE LUX was written off, (not my fault), and never had to worry about it ever again.

For this reason, I would never buy another Freelander.

Post #442319 4th Jun 2024 8:34 pm
Mel

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

From my point of view start simple do a gearbox oil change 50% and reset the adaptations, after resetting the adaptations it takes a while for the gearbox to sort itself out. It worked out for me.
Don’t read too much into the scare stories one step at a time.
The 50% change is enough without getting embroiled in oil change debate.

Mel.

Post #442326 5th Jun 2024 10:27 am
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Yes mine also did this, had the firmware update and that fixed it Thumbs Up Changed the fluid at about 65K miles and that made things smoother as well. MY 2013 SD GS Auto

Post #442488 10th Jun 2024 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1