Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Britpart Haldex filter, any good?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redfox

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Izmir Blue
Britpart Haldex filter, any good?

Hi all,

So coming to the last oil change this time, I am about to do the Haldex service. I've asked for a genuine Haldex filter from a Land Rover supplier/workshop (independent), and he instead sent me a Haldex filter from Britpart.
I called him and asked why, and he jsut said no original filters, we use those instead, and never had a complaint.
Well, that is suposedly what most would say.

So, I am turning to you guys and gals.
I would like to ask if the Britpart Haldex gen. 3 filter is actually any good?
Is it in fact coming from the same source, or made by someone else? and can it be trusted?
I've read horror stories over at Aulro.com about Brit parts history and their "funky" parts delivery to land Rover fleets in the past.

Can it be used?
Or should I get something else from someone else, and in that case where?

Kind regards,
Redfox.

ps: I won't do the Haldex job until I know what to trust.

Last edited by Redfox on 13th May 2024 5:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #441547 12th May 2024 11:15 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Even if just for peace of mind (and you can return it) should be easy enough to find a good brand OEM in the UK?

LR032298. Or the original volvo part no: 30787687

Post #441548 12th May 2024 11:49 pm
Redfox

I am in Denmark.
I cannot buy the filter from Land Rover, as they don't sell this.

I will go for the Volvo gen. 3 filter, made by Borg Warner for Volvo. I looked up all generations of Volvo's with Haldex and found the same number as you refer to.

I looked at the Britpart filter, and there's a number of issues that matters to me:

1/ The Britpart filter is not made by Bripart, but a sub contractor, and I cannot get who.

2/ The Brit filter is not original Haldex filter for any brand.

3/ The Britpart filter includes two very weak cheaply made bolts.

4/ The Britpart filter have no production markings on it, such as for example the plastic type.

5/ The Brit part filter comes with a black spring that is too long.

6/ The Britpart filter comes with the nylon seal cap with the o-ring, and the plastic flange is too large to fit the Haldex. Apprx. 0,6mm.

7/ Original aluminium endcaps have a slight recess for the two bolts, plus a production marking. Non-original do not.

I will not use the Britpart filter for my generation 3 Haldex, and I will call the seller (independent workshop for for example Land Rover), and ask them for a refund. If I can't get that, I'll throw it in the bin.
We'll see about the Ravenol for the Haldex, as I have no previous experience with Ravenol.

I'll report back what else i find.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #441549 13th May 2024 1:19 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Sorry, was on phone browser, didn't see you weren't in the UK Smile I know your pain with getting parts!

I went Borg Warner myself when mine was done. Nice not to have to worry about it.

Post #441550 13th May 2024 2:48 am
Redfox

Hi Grue,
Much agreed.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #441554 13th May 2024 7:28 am
Redfox

For your info:

A little introduction. Haldex Traction was founded in 1998 in Sweden. It developed these systems and was sold on to American BorgWarner in December 2010, and took about a year. Therefore there will be original parts made by Haldex and some made by Haldex/BorgWarner, now a part of BorgWarner Torq Transfer Systems. Haldex AB marketed their systems under various names on various markets. BorgWarner also bought up Beru, Eaton, Gustav Wahler and Remy, amongst others, some of them of German origin.
As production is now spread out in many countries, including many Asian countries, does not always mean lack of quality, as some markets demand a certain local involvement. There has been talk about badly made Chinese turbos.
Around 2005, BorgWarner's world headquarters moved from Chicago to the metro Detroit area. Later moved to Auburn Hills, Michigan, and was originally founded from several companies, in 1928. Further, between 2006 and 2014, the organization invested in new production facilities, including in South Korea, France, Germany, China, Hungary, Poland, India, Brazil, Portugal, Mexico and Thailand. Since 2023, BorgWarner is partially now renamed Phinia.

I just bought an original BorgWarner Haldex oil filter, from a Volvo dealership, as an original Volvo spare part.
Ordered this morning, received it this afternoon. Great service. Price was only marginally more than the non-original Britpart filter.

Britpart filter: 572,68 DKK.
Original filter: 616,00 DKK.

And you don't have to either buy more parts to get free shipping, nor pay transportation. Just go to your local Volvo dealership.

This filter exists in many cars, but I chose specifically a 2006/2007 Volvo XC90 Si6 3,2Liter, and same Haldex generation 3, so that means the short Haldex oil filter and the spring type.

Volvo part number 30787687.

Comes with the metal cap, two bolts, the nylon and o-ring seal part.
What differs is the construction of the parts as listed below:

1/ The bolts are stronger and better made. Even straight Wink They are clearly marked "V-W" and "8,8" strength. The non-original ones have nothing. The original bolts also are not silver shiny as the non-originals, but dark grey'ish.

2/ The aluminium cap is marked with a clearly visible "3".

3/ The aluminium cap is marked with two slight recesses for the bolt heads.

4/ The filter body does have a spring, nt black, but shiny grey and it's a lot shorter than for example the Britpart.

5/ The filter itself is stamped "8136" on one end.

6/ the nylon flange on the original filter measures 38,83mm in diameter, where as the non-original Britpart filter measures 39,77mm, so a marked difference, which means that it's very hard to insert the non-original filter into the Haldex itself, risking the o-ring.

7/ This original filter is made in Germany.

I cannot speak for the mesh filter material itself as of yet, but will investigate and report back here with any findings.

So far, I cannot vouch for the Britpart sold filter. It's a bad copy in my humble view.
I suspect that the Britpart filter is made in China, to a sub standard, but I haven't any real proof, so it's only a speculation. Bolts, the too long spring and the complete lack of precision on the nylon part diameter suggests this, though.
Because of the aforementioned differences, I don't trust the Britpart sold filter.

Further, on generation 4 Haldex filters, there is a clear valve that has to close. Not so on the non-original filter, which in turn means that the motor on the Haldex has to work much more to gain the correct pressure on startup, after resting. I am not sure about the generation 3 mech/setup, but I'll look into it.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #441577 13th May 2024 5:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1