Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > 255/55/19 Tyres ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
konstantinos_north

Greece 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

bionicbone wrote:
Finally had my new Goodyear Wrangler DruaTrac tyres fitted, and of course had to try them. Just need some wet mud now to give them a proper test. Some extra details, MY2015 235/55R19 were clocking +3 MPH according to android auto and a local speed sign. New 255/55 R19 are clocking +1 MPH. Of course the Goodyear Wrangler DruaTrac do make a little more road noise, mainly noticeable at 30-40MPH and very dependant on road surface, at other speeds it's hard to tell the difference for me. Very pleased
Kev

I was wondering if there were any long term issues with the 255/55r19 Wrangler Duratrac combo and the rear shock. Any rubbing in green laning?
I am about to get these on my 19" 8J rims SD4 and I assume the distance will be ~5mm so any advice for this specific tire behavior will help.

Post #441540 12th May 2024 7:09 pm
bionicbone

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Firenze Red

The only thing "rubbing" related I've had is on the front with full lock right turn and always reversing, but never really been a problem, I'm just aware.

I have to point out that they get noisier as they get older. And here something strange, I have balanced the wheels 4 times since fitting these tyres, the noise is much better immediately after, but works it's way bad again. I suspect that what's happening is when I park the car for several days without use (probably a week ISH) they get a slight flat at the bottom, that alters the balance and thus vibration noise.

In an attempt to stop the flat creating I'm now pumped up to 37 PSI, but really need to balance them again cos they are as noisy as they ever been right now.

Because of this I would find it hard to recommend this tyre, to be honest I thought they had stopped making it and assumed because of my issue.

Kev

Post #441551 13th May 2024 5:07 am
konstantinos_north

Greece 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks Kev

Truth is I use it on weekly base so I'd probably have the same issues with balancing. I've been checking on Tirerack.com and it appears that there are references on balancing issues more than the usuall for off road AT tires like "You need to re-balance these every 10,000 miles because the density of the rubber isn't consistent"

Since there isnt an issue with the size I will opt for Toyo open country AT3.

Konstantinos

Post #441574 13th May 2024 2:23 pm
bionicbone

That's interesting about rubber density, I really didn't consider that.

Thanks
Kev

Post #441653 16th May 2024 9:30 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I would hope that the density of the rubber in a tyre made in a well regulated mass production process would be consistent beyond the ability for it to alter enough to upset wheel balance with a bit of wear. Given that off road tyres are more roughly used than road tyres (hence the name and if you aren’t using them off road what a waste) I’d guess that changes in balance are more down to missing bits of tyre or bits of gravel wedged deep into sipes.

Post #441654 16th May 2024 10:01 am
bionicbone

I can say what ever it is, sadly it's not just gravel and small stones.

I just drove back from Cleethorpes to Rotherham, glad its not far, they deffo need balancing again, I'm going to see my local garage this afternoon.

To be fair I don't really off road, it was a bit of a novelty for me and even then it was more a few uneven tracks lol. I didn't fancy damaging the car.

But, there's still far too much rubber on these to consider swapping them now, so I'm stuck with them.

Kev

Post #441676 17th May 2024 12:32 pm
chris_greenoval

United Kingdom 

put bf Goodrich at tyres on our F2 - very pleased with them

Post #443263 13th Jul 2024 12:26 pm
bionicbone

At the time they were not available in the size I needed without swapping the wheels too (. 255/55 R19 )

Kev

Post #443482 21st Jul 2024 6:13 am
oldseadog

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've just fitted Avon AX7 ATs 255/55 r18 (235/60 r18 are usually standard on mine) and I've had no issues of rubbing, both on-road and off-road. BTW they performed very well on the off-road trail at the Simply Land Rover meet at Beaulieu. -------------------------------------------------------------
1965 Series IIa Safari LWB White - gone
1982 RR 2 door Sahara dust - gone
2000 Freelander 1 3 door white gold - gone
1995 Discovery 1 200Tdi Biaritz Blue - gone
2009 FL2 TD4 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #443505 22nd Jul 2024 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John E.

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

This will be considered a modification by your insurance company and it could easily attract a substantial increase in premium.
My last Freelander came with upsized tyres on 18” rims; thr improvement to handling, when I changed back to standard size tyres was immense!

Post #443531 23rd Jul 2024 12:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123