Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What did you do in your FL2 today?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 133 of 134 <123 ... 132133134>
Print this entire topic · 
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
Redfox wrote:
Right, so time to use some of all these Liters of automatic gearbox oil for the Aisin AWF21 box, so spent the whole day Friday working on that.
Did some 4 oil swaps, and all is clear bright red now. The old oil was actually okay and was done 2½ year ago, with not very many kilometers in between. Noticably faster and smoother gearshift. Not that it was bad at all, it was actually quite good, but there is a marked improvement still. Amazing that this box can shift so nice! Oh, and I just tried "sport" gearshift. Mmmmmm Wink Pretty fast then.
Very satisfied.

Cheers,
Redfox.

Hi Redfox.
Good news, and great to hear it is smoother, even after such a short time of a change anyways, which method did you use, how did you check the temp of the gearbox etc, any photos

Post #441496 11th May 2024 9:48 am
NeilTD4

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Click image to enlarge

Changed the little rubber flap thing on the drivers side of the scuttle panel which I did by picking up a used scuttle panel cheaply.

Only a small thing, but it did play havoc with my OCD.

Post #441504 11th May 2024 4:26 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Should we not be changing this threads title to 'What did you do TO your FL2 today.

The thread used to be full of tales of adventure, and pictures of hill and countryside, now its full of tales of weekends laying under the FL2.

I still enjoy using my FL2 for mini retirement adventures. - Today we had an early morning start and a trip to Malvern Spring Show followed by a trip home via Wales - beautiful day out - Our Metro performed impeccably, carrying us, and our two mobility scooters without effort. The great driving position/view was welcome as we drove down past Malvern, Ledbury and Monmouth, before crossing the Severn to England. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #441507 11th May 2024 6:55 pm
NeilTD4

A fair point, whilst I do enjoy tinkering with our cars and trying to keep them just so, I do still get enjoyment from driving my Freelander and recently we visited my wife's parents in South Devon and it just eats the miles and it is nice having an elevated driving position, especially as the weather was pretty poor on the trip down.

As a bonus, my Father in Law has a Freelander 2 aswell, so I do get to do the odd little job on his too...

Mostly, like a lot of us, mine is mainly used for my commute, but at the end of a long day it is nice to get in it, put it in drive and let it take me home

Post #441512 11th May 2024 7:40 pm
Redfox

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Izmir Blue

I don't commute in the Freelander 2 i6, I only use it for trips and fun stuff.
I am preparing the FL2 for a 7000 km mountain cross trip in September, with lot's of bears, wolves and seriously rough terrain, including some wading.
I am thinking of sending some really good off-road wheels/tires there, in advance, so I can use the normal road wheels on transportation, as the off-road wheels will take up near all the space for luggage.
The prepping includes amongst other things:
- extended first aid kit, warning triangle etc.
- better air filter box drain valve
- fire extinguisher
- original Land Rover FL2 cargo dirt cover and seat covers (in black)
- another tow bar for the rear, this time a detachable one (gaining angle)
- towing gear
- full size wheel and tire
- extended tool kit
- my storm proof double poled mountain tent and -40 cel comfort sleeping bags + down airmats
- variety of ropes, iceaxes, steigeisen, boots and other climbing gear
- doing all sorts of service to the car beforehand
- spare airfilters, cabinfilter, spark plugs, fuses, and some other spares
- extra oil, coolant etc. in 1L bottles in velcrobacked small bags, which I attach on the back seat back rest.
- spare gps, extra compass, maps etc.
- 25 new wheel nuts
- I am thinking about a winch, but not decided so far
- 25 Liter extra fuel canister (I only use 100 Octane petrol)
I want to keep the total weight of the car incl. luggage, down.

Cheers,
Redfox

Post #441513 11th May 2024 11:56 pm
Redfox

Sorry Arctic, I don't really have pictures, but I'll try and describe it anyway on my FL2 SE i6 automatic Aisin AWF21 6 speed gearbox. Maybe it'll offer some sense. I'll post it over at :

https://www.freel2.com/forum/post441519.html#441519

not to clutter this thread up.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #441518 12th May 2024 11:26 am
IanMetro

Redfox wrote:
I don't commute in the Freelander 2 i6, I only use it for trips and fun stuff.
I am preparing the FL2 for a 7000 km mountain cross trip in September, with lot's of bears, wolves and seriously rough terrain, including some wading.

Looking forward to some great photos of your September Adventure, and of course a photo or two of your well equipped FL2. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #441525 12th May 2024 12:56 pm
3landertwo

IanMetro wrote:
........ - Today we had an early morning start and a trip to Malvern Spring Show followed by a trip home via Wales - beautiful day out - ...........

you should be going to Malvern Three Counties Show Ground next week ......... big Land Rover Show there 18th - 19th May Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #441534 12th May 2024 3:44 pm
Redfox

Ripped off every single sheet of privacy film from my FL2 i6. I loathe the c..p. Much better looking without the film on the glass areas, and now I can see something if I drive at night and if or when I should be driving down from a mountain in a thunderstorm at night. All glass is toned green from Land Rover, and that is fine and enough.
Very satisfied.

Kind regards,
Redfox

Last edited by Redfox on 15th May 2024 11:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #441619 14th May 2024 9:42 pm
Redfox

Right, so I installed a leather HSE steering wheel in good condition. Nice to get rid of the plastic steering wheel that was standard on our car. So, I got a little tired after 1 hour looking at the new steering wheel in leather being shiny, wearing spots and so on. Decided to take it off and removed all the leather colorant and then treated it with leather binder a few times, then adhesion promoter a few times, then 4 layers of black leather color and finally 4 layers of matt clear coat.
Came out absolutely perfect. So letting it rest until tomorrow, and then I'll reassemble it and install it. New button surrounds in black on it's way. The plastic steering wheel was dark grey, so it worked with the grey steering wheel button surrounds, but since the leather steering wheel is black, I want to install black button surrounds, and this also goes with the few black accents on the exterior. More on that later.

Or I will tear the leather off and sew on Alcantara to get a better grip. I usually drive with thin gloves.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #441648 15th May 2024 11:33 pm
Redfox

Installed a set of wind deflectors yesterday, to lessen the spray of mud and water while having the windows slightly open. There might be slightly lesser wind noise as well, from driving at the motorway.
Not optimal fitting, but we'll see. If they don't really work, or destroys the rubber seals, I'll toss them out and try another brand.

Cheers,
Redfox.

Post #441709 18th May 2024 12:35 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I installed Weathertechs on my 2008. At that time they were made in Germany. They are in channel and work perfectly, no damage.

Post #441711 18th May 2024 1:00 pm
IanMetro

3landertwo wrote:
IanMetro wrote:
........ - Today we had an early morning start and a trip to Malvern Spring Show followed by a trip home via Wales - beautiful day out - ...........

you should be going to Malvern Three Counties Show Ground next week ......... big Land Rover Show there 18th - 19th May Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks for Information.

We didn't make the Landie Show but we did DO something IN our FL2 Today.

Making good use of it's versatility, we went to Cheddar Garden Centre and filled it up.
You can see why I am a great believer in having a good strong boot floor to strap things down onto as I managed to get into it 3 bags of compost, 4 bags of gravel, a disability scooter, a box of bits of food, and umpteen pots of plants. (There are rachet straps as well as the bungees)
My Metro swallowed the lot with no discernible loss of speed/acceleration, but it did seem quieter, and the ride was marginally better.

Click image to enlarge
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #441715 18th May 2024 5:09 pm
NeilTD4

Used it to drive over to Wellesbourne Mountford airfield to see this beauty brought to life Very Happy

Post #441743 19th May 2024 6:18 pm
Kage

I remember seeing a Vulcan at Cosford Airshow many years ago.

I’ve never heard or seen anything quite so awesome.

It came in at a whisper and then gave it full bore to climb away from us. The ground was vibrating with the noise.

Post #441755 20th May 2024 11:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 133 of 134 <123 ... 132133134>