Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

double post

Post #440939 17th Apr 2024 9:02 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

This thread reminds me of the Auto Gearbox Flaring problem that effected FL2s around the MY10.

I have copied an earlier post below ---

I had a slight hesitation problem on warm days on my MY2011 SD4 Auto.

It seemed to match the these Volvo TF80 (AWF21) Transmission Issues (Shift Flare, etc.) and was common across makes using the TF80 6 speed automatic transmission manufactured by Aisin Warner and used in the FL2.

https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10176/volv...ion-issues

My present MY2015 SD4 does not suffer from this problem, but has another (on extremely rare occasions) problem of (engine?) hesitation/flutter at about 30mph when going up a slight hill in cruise control. It is most odd, and regularly only occurs in 2 places and nowhere else.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502.ht...;start=225

You can discover more by searching (gearbox) 'flare' and/or 'flaring' on this forum.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #440941 17th Apr 2024 10:32 am
geotrash

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

jules wrote:
Thanks for that update. Great to here you solved the problem.

Did you take the gearbox off the car or can you change the valve block with the gearbox in situ ?

How many miles had the FL2 done ?

Thankfully, I was able to leave the transmission in the car. On the LR2 there is enough clearance between the transmission and the subframe to wiggle the pan off without raising the motor or dropping the subframe. I don't know exactly when the erratic shifting started because we got it from a friend with 214K miles who bought it new, but I first noticed it around 220K when driving up the mountains of the Colorado Front Range on the way to our favorite kayaking lake in 2019. We live in Virginia now (we had the LR2 shipped here because of concerns about the transmission on such a long drive), but we kept driving it locally which was fine because it rarely got warm enough to act up. But by the time it had reached 232K, it was increasingly becoming a problem even around town, so that's when I decided to solve the problem and also do a complete refresh of the cooling system and other items at the same time. "If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed"

2008 LR2, 3.2L i6, auto, 230K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 6.2L V8, 243K miles
2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 6.2L V8, 141K miles, Cam Motion Stage 2 Truck Cam, upgraded TC, set up for towing

Post #440948 17th Apr 2024 1:31 pm
geotrash

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Grue wrote:
I'd also be keen to hear more. I've had the occasional hunting for gears, but hoping the upcoming flush will fix it.

I wish you good luck! Happy to answer any questions I can if it doesn't solve the problem. In my research, I found that common causes for some of the behavior I was seeing were incorrect transmission fluid level, severely worn out fluid, and weak engine and/or transmission mounts. But in my opinion, it's probably the valve body 80+% of the time caused by the worn out fluid.

My hypothesis: With these transmissions being so hard to service with new fluid (and rated from the factory as having a "lifetime" fluid fill), most local shops won't touch it so people just keep driving on the old fluid that's increasingly tainted with micro abrasives from ongoing wear. The old fluid wears out the solenoid bores in the valve body so that fluid leaks past making it hard to maintain the necessary pressure in the various fluid circuits. "If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed"

2008 LR2, 3.2L i6, auto, 230K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 6.2L V8, 243K miles
2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 6.2L V8, 141K miles, Cam Motion Stage 2 Truck Cam, upgraded TC, set up for towing

Post #440951 17th Apr 2024 3:00 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

geotrash
The Modified Gibbons Method of fluid change is so easy.

Post #440955 17th Apr 2024 7:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12