« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Hunting at idle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Hunting at idle.

After the good news of passing its mot this week with one advisory, i still have a few issues to deal with and am hoping my fellow freely owners might have some ideas. Car starts fine and idles ok, intermittently though after start up when putting into drive or reverse the engine hunts up and down by around 100rpm causing the car to want to kangeroo forward or backward, not ideal when reversing with a caravan on the back. There seems to be no specific timing for this, sometimes after its been stood, sometimes straight after a long run. I initially thought gearbox issue, but ive since discovered the same happens if left in park / neutral and air con is switched on , so more to do with loading on the engine at idle rather than drive train. Anyone experienced similar? Its getting more frequent so something is changing.

I also have the knocking front suspension that plagued the last car up to the day we sold it. The guy who serviced it replaced a broken front spring at the time , then suggested arb bushes could be the cause, has quite a knock on some road surfaces but not enough it seems to fail the mot test drive, unless he found the only super smooth non pot holed road in blackpool that day.

Thanks as always...your comments are appreciated. Smile

Post #440346 23rd Mar 2024 3:36 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Do you have a code reader,

Post #440348 23rd Mar 2024 4:07 pm
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

My code reader is only basic and doesn't pick anything up. When it was serviced they ran a scan and gave us the print off, only one generic code which looking up doesn't seem to cause any issue or be removable with diagnostic equipment..Slighlty odd i know as i thought things like door lock modules etc showed up and there were previous gearbox codes as i understood. I can only assume that everything was cleared and then the print off taken.

Post #440355 23rd Mar 2024 9:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1