Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > TD4 or SD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

IIRC the TD4 safe max is 190bhp and the SD4 safe max is 240bhp with torque for both limited to c.400nm (could be wrong on the torque figure but its that ball park) and again IIRC on the SD4 there was a difference In turbo performance.

probably worth speaking to reputable tuners like Alive or Celtic for specifics but I know neither of them will go over the figures above for stage 1 remaps.

Ive had previous FL2 SD4 and Evoque 2.2 remapped not for power increases, but for driveability. The remap all but removed hesitation from standing starts completely and delivered the power in a smooth curve up to peak.

Post #440042 12th Mar 2024 10:05 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Looking at the companies that you quote, both seem to up the torque considerably. Although they say that the original components are strong enough, I cannot see any manufacturing information given.

https://www.alivetuning.com/product/freela...1-onwards/

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/pe...t3-content

Both companies seem experienced, and by looking at the Frequently Asked Question replies on the Alive website, deal with the Additional Loading/Warranty and Insurance questions well.

The simple answer is YES! It will affect all components from the engine, through the transmission, down the drivetrain, to your axles. All of these items would be subject to greater forces than standard, and so they are effectively at a greater risk of failure than on a standard car. However, we understand the components on each vehicle are made to withstand certain loads, and we take care to ensure our work will not overstep the mark. We have our own 4×4 rolling road, and have performed hundreds of hours of testing, over many vehicles, even in different countries, and we know that our work will not cause any problems, ever!

You absolutely must declare all non standard modifications to your insurance company. Failure to do this does not bear thinking about, should the worst happen, so it simply isn’t worth the risk. Often the difference in premiums is negligible and so there really isn’t an excuse not to disclose modifications.

https://www.alivetuning.com/faqs/

So I believe that the possible remapping risk is explained, but unless you are using your FL2 competitively the SD4 is plenty fast enough as it is.

PS look at Nodge's posts on this other forum about Torque Limits, very interesting and informative.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/fl-2-td4-and-sd4.369388/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #440043 12th Mar 2024 10:50 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Alive are very experienced in tuning LR and definitely know what they are doing. The work they can do with standard or modified D2 or TD5/Puma defenders is quite astonishing. I had my D4 remapped by them from 255bhp to around 310bhp and 600nm, but as the D4 and RRS of that era both use the exact same engines and transmission and the RRS coming from factory with 310bhp it was safe. (n.b. I have no connection with alive in any way)

Celtic tuning ive only ever been on their website for curiosity purposes, but ive heard good things about them.

Both very sensible tuners from everything ive seen.

The only reason IMO for remapping a FL2 SD4 would be try and cure the hesitation that many have experienced, it worked on mine.

Post #440077 14th Mar 2024 9:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123