« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > diff housing - haldex cavity dimensions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
simon k

Australia 
diff housing - haldex cavity dimensions

Hi everyone - apologies for invading your forum, I don't have a Land Rover, though a good friend of mine is the local LR/RR guru. He services a couple of Freelander 2's, but hasn't done the Haldex service on any, so I haven't been able to look inside one.

I'm working on using a Haldex "inline" in the propshaft of a different AWD car, replacing a viscous coupling. I've bought a Gen 4 Haldex (from a Volvo) and I'm designing a housing, output shaft and new electronics for it, but I don't know the dimensions of the cavity in the diff housing, or how much "sump" there is. The haldex unit was posted to me, the diff housing it was removed from is a long way away.

I've shamelessly stolen this picture from another thread, showing the part I'm interested in - the photo was taken looking towards the left side of the housing, but I'm pretty sure there is a cavity on the right side which acts as the sump for the haldex oil. There's a square o-ring seal at the front, so a relief for that, but I don't know much else.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks
Simon

Post #439931 8th Mar 2024 1:15 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Does this help? Let me know if you need specific dimensions.

(Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #439948 9th Mar 2024 1:52 am
simon k

Australia 

That's fantastic, and helps me a LOT!!

It now makes sense what the pump inlet hole aligns with - the outlet from that sump.

From the photo, it appears there is a hole in the back of the housing, below the diff input shaft, do you think that is a gallery for oil to return/equalise to the sump? otherwise the only way for oil to get in there is from the squirters on the back of the clutch pack to throw it up to the top of the housing or bleed back through the pump when stopped, is there any other way you can see for oil to get in there while driving?

Any dimensions you could give me would be great - these are what I'd really like - I've annotated your picture (attached)

The width of the machined section of the bore (seems like it's ~122mm) - red line
    The width of the raw cast section of the bore - green line
    The depth of the bore from the front of the mounting flange back to the machined face - blue line
    The length and width of the diff input shaft nose - it sits in a needle roller bearing inside the clutch pack so is a critical dimension

There's a large torrington bearing on the rearward face of the clutch pack, but there are no witness marks on it from contact with any non-rotating part. It's as-if it's just there in case of accidental overthrow when the pressure is released - would that seem right?

thanks very much!

Post #439949 9th Mar 2024 4:48 am
Badger51

Australia 

Those three oil galleries are all interconnected, I believe. The large upper one is where the filler plug is located for the Haldex.

As far as your blue line goes, it is probably not clear from my pic, but there are probably two or three different depth machined faces!

I've given you the outer diameter one, but I suspect (thinking about it now), that it will be the face that the thrust bearing sits against that you really need. I can get that tomorrow.

The width of the machined section of the bore (seems like it's ~122mm) - red line = 122mm
The width of the raw cast section of the bore - green line = 125.4mm
The depth of the bore from the front of the mounting flange back to the machined face - blue line =81.5mm
The length and width of the diff input shaft nose - it sits in a needle roller bearing inside the clutch pack so is a critical dimension = 15mm L x 16mm Dia. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #439950 9th Mar 2024 6:43 am
simon k

Australia 

that's brilliant, thanks Badger, I really appreciate it

81.5mm at the side of the cavity would make sense, the outer part of the basket is about 81mm when there is no clutch pressure to pull it in, the torrington bearing is another 5mm on top of that, so I'd expect you to find that face will be around 87mm, give or take. I guess the seal is a bit deeper again

Are there any witness marks on that face that look like the bearing has been touching it?

The picture I posted yesterday of the torrington I think shows it hasn't been in contact with the housing. When the clutch pack is pressurised, the basket pulls in towards the front of the car, when it releases, the basket pushes back. Logically, when it pushes back it's turning at wheel speed * diff ratio, so quite fast. If it touches the stationary housing, I reckon there should be marks on it..

Post #439969 10th Mar 2024 1:14 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The drillings in the diff case, which forms part of the Haldex sump, are placed and angled to ensure the fluid goes where it's needed.

The drilling closest to the diff is placed inside the clutch pack thrust bearing, being angled to draw fluid into the centre of the clutch pack under forward rotation of the clutch basket. The clutch basket also has scooped drillings, which are designed to push the fluid through the clutch pack.

The large upper casing drilling is there to collect fluid that is spun outwards from the spinning basket, ensuring a constant supply of fluid to both the pump inlet and the previously described clutch pack supply drilling.
The fluid level in the Haldex isn't filled to the top, the level being sufficient for fluid to enter the large upper drilling when the basket is stationery, so there's always fluid available for the pump to function.

Could you use an old or damaged diff by cutting off the front section, rather than making something custom?

In my experience, a VCU is more reliable than a Haldex, so are you sure it's actually worth the effort? 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #439979 10th Mar 2024 12:36 pm
simon k

Australia 

Nodge68 wrote:

The drillings in the diff case, which forms part of the Haldex sump, are placed and angled to ensure the fluid goes where it's needed.

The drilling closest to the diff is placed inside the clutch pack thrust bearing, being angled to draw fluid into the centre of the clutch pack under forward rotation of the clutch basket. The clutch basket also has scooped drillings, which are designed to push the fluid through the clutch pack.

The large upper casing drilling is there to collect fluid that is spun outwards from the spinning basket, ensuring a constant supply of fluid to both the pump inlet and the previously described clutch pack supply drilling.
The fluid level in the Haldex isn't filled to the top, the level being sufficient for fluid to enter the large upper drilling when the basket is stationery, so there's always fluid available for the pump to function.

Thanks for that Nodge - a very useful explanation - you're right now that I look at it again, those pressings in the face of the basket aren't squirters at all, they're going the wrong direction, they're scoops like you say. The location of that drilling underneath the output bearing seems a bit odd when first looking at it, but it makes sense that it'd be a feed into the basket

Nodge68 wrote:

Could you use an old or damaged diff by cutting off the front section, rather than making something custom?

That's definitely a smart option - The FR2 diff housing and the large bracket/hanger underneath does package it really well, slicing the front off it would work. When looking for a Haldex, I contacted some wrecking yards about buying a whole FR2 diff, but they must think they're made from solid gold.. I hadn't discovered this forum before I bought the Volvo unit - I'll put up a "wanted" ad

Nodge68 wrote:

In my experience, a VCU is more reliable than a Haldex, so are you sure it's actually worth the effort?

There are a lot of silly things we do on with old cars that aren't worth the effort - but for some reason we keep doing them.. I have no idea why.

In my case, I'm building a car for competition - I do everything from motorkhanas to circuit sprints - for motorkhana in particular I need to be able to do a handbrake turn, a VCU doesn't allow it - with a Haldex I can drop the rear drive as soon as I touch the handbrake, reengaging when I let it go, but also vary the lockup on demand, put a knob on the dashboard, different settings for different surfaces, fully sick 4wd drift mode, varying based on steering angle input, brake force, I can even imagine how I'd integrate some AI... what could possibly go wrong??

If I had half a brain I'd go and buy an early Audi TT Quattro to race, but that wouldn't cause me nearly enough angst, frustration, expense...

Post #439999 10th Mar 2024 11:12 pm
Badger51

Australia 

simon k wrote:
that's brilliant, thanks Badger, I really appreciate it

81.5mm at the side of the cavity would make sense, the outer part of the basket is about 81mm when there is no clutch pressure to pull it in, the torrington bearing is another 5mm on top of that, so I'd expect you to find that face will be around 87mm, give or take. I guess the seal is a bit deeper again

Are there any witness marks on that face that look like the bearing has been touching it?

The picture I posted yesterday of the torrington I think shows it hasn't been in contact with the housing. When the clutch pack is pressurised, the basket pulls in towards the front of the car, when it releases, the basket pushes back. Logically, when it pushes back it's turning at wheel speed * diff ratio, so quite fast. If it touches the stationary housing, I reckon there should be marks on it..

Simon, I make the measurement 84.2mm & there are definitely witness marks on that face. The seal is 10mm deeper again.

I do have a diff for sale on gumtree, which you would be welcome to, but I think the freight cost might kill it, might be worth checking out though. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #440001 11th Mar 2024 3:35 am
Nodge68

simon k wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:

Thanks for that Nodge - a very useful explanation - you're right now that I look at it again, those pressings in the face of the basket aren't squirters at all, they're going the wrong direction, they're scoops like you say. The location of that drilling underneath the output bearing seems a bit odd when first looking at it, but it makes sense that it'd be a feed into the basket

Nodge68 wrote:

That's definitely a smart option - The FR2 diff housing and the large bracket/hanger underneath does package it really well, slicing the front off it would work. When looking for a Haldex, I contacted some wrecking yards about buying a whole FR2 diff, but they must think they're made from solid gold.. I hadn't discovered this forum before I bought the Volvo unit - I'll put up a "wanted" ad

Nodge68 wrote:

In my experience, a VCU is more reliable than a Haldex, so are you sure it's actually worth the effort?

There are a lot of silly things we do on with old cars that aren't worth the effort - but for some reason we keep doing them.. I have no idea why.

In my case, I'm building a car for competition - I do everything from motorkhanas to circuit sprints - for motorkhana in particular I need to be able to do a handbrake turn, a VCU doesn't allow it - with a Haldex I can drop the rear drive as soon as I touch the handbrake, reengaging when I let it go, but also vary the lockup on demand, put a knob on the dashboard, different settings for different surfaces, fully sick 4wd drift mode, varying based on steering angle input, brake force, I can even imagine how I'd integrate some AI... what could possibly go wrong??

If I had half a brain I'd go and buy an early Audi TT Quattro to race, but that wouldn't cause me nearly enough angst, frustration, expense...

It's a shame you're on the other side of the planet, as I've got a busted FL2 diff waiting for disposal.

I can see why a Haldex has an advantage over a VCU is your use. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #440015 11th Mar 2024 3:26 pm
simon k

Australia 

Badger51 wrote:

Simon, I make the measurement 84.2mm & there are definitely witness marks on that face. The seal is 10mm deeper again.

I do have a diff for sale on gumtree, which you would be welcome to, but I think the freight cost might kill it, might be worth checking out though.

Thanks for that Badger, I made a bunch of assumptions about the way that it works, one being how much the basket moves, I've been thinking that it moves several mm, but that's gotta be wrong - it's a clutch, it doesn't need clearance to slip, just a lack of pressure. Much more likely that the basket doesn't move at all, just the plates inside. ~84mm would mean that the housing holds the basket tightly. I've also made assumptions about which direction the plates move, pushing the basket down with my hand makes the clutch lock up - I had it in my head that the hydraulics moves the basket towards the front of the car, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong too, I'm probably moving the wrong part.

I've watched youtube servicing videos and animations about how it works, and putting bits and pieces of info together - but the people who do work on them don't seem to want to publish anything they can make money from.. fair enough

I haven't bought oil for it yet, but I plan on putting a bit of silicone hose into that pump inlet and running the pump/actuating the solenoid to see what moves and what doesn't...

I found your diff on gumtree, a bit more than I want to spend, and yes, getting it to me would be a pain unless you were willing to strip it and keep the diff centre

Nodge68 wrote:

It's a shame you're on the other side of the planet, as I've got a busted FL2 diff waiting for disposal.

how busted?

Post #440039 12th Mar 2024 12:32 am
Badger51

Australia 

You could have my diff for a lot less than the asking price on gumtree, most of that is to cover the cost for the bearings/seals etc. It might be worth your while getting a quote from somewhere like truckit, to see what you can get it delivered for. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #440040 12th Mar 2024 5:58 am
Nodge68

simon k wrote:

how busted?

The pinion bearings have seized, and the crown wheel has lots of wear due to it being run without oil.

The casing is fine however. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #440054 12th Mar 2024 4:10 pm
simon k

Australia 

good news!

Yesterday I found a wrecker on gumtree selling a complete VW Tiguan diff with Gen 4 Haldex ($125, with 12 months warranty! Laughing )

It arrived at work today ($160 freight Rolling Eyes )

Post #440103 15th Mar 2024 12:58 am
Badger51

Australia 

Thumbs Up (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #440104 15th Mar 2024 1:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1