Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > What mileage should the front PTU oil be replaced?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mrdeli100

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey
What mileage should the front PTU oil be replaced?

Just wondering what mileage this is due at. Cant see anything in the manual.

Thanks Mark

Post #439526 20th Feb 2024 2:02 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

JLR service schedule say 150k miles/ 10 years (or when it packs up) - which ever is the sooner Laughing

I changed my PTU oil at 40K miles - very awkward sucking it out as there is no drain hole. Jules

Post #439530 20th Feb 2024 3:05 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

As said above, LR recommended 150k, however the PTU seldom lasts to this ridiculously extended chance interval.
Best change it nice and early if you can, 50k being far more sensible, same with the rear diff. The Haldex is best done at 30k intervals, in line with the VW (also use the Haldex) intervals. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #439535 20th Feb 2024 4:19 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I change my Rear Diff and PTU oils at 24,000 miles I have done the drilling one of the case bolts on the PTU as a sump plug mod. Works a treat so easy to fill it up and remove the required 120mm

The Auto Box on mine has the fluid fully changed every 24,000 miles using the Modified Gibbons Method again so easy to do.

Post #439543 20th Feb 2024 8:25 pm
jules

Chips - have you got a link to the modified gibbons that you use ? Jules

Post #439548 21st Feb 2024 12:21 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I recently did my PTU, and rear diff oil changes, i would also like the link to the gibbons method for the Auto oil which i intend to do come spring and have a good weekends weather.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic39481.html

Post #439549 21st Feb 2024 12:39 am
I Like Chips

Sorry I couldn't find a specific FL2 link to the Gibbons flush, there are lots of articles on Google mostly on the Volvo Fora and a few movies on You Tube also do a search on our forum

It's a two person process, you need someone to turn the engine on and off on cue.

I use a Modified Method. the modifications are

a. Instead of taking the return pipe off the Auto box fluid cooler I use the lower connection of the two lines from the cooler to auto box, it's a Torx bolt, easy to undo.
Make sure the O ring comes out with the pipe, sometimes it can stick in the pipe hole it's easy to get out also I suggest you purchase a couple of new O rings. When you put the connection back don't overtighten it as the torque is only 7 ftib !!! The case is ally and the bolt is steel !!!!

b. I don't drop the first flush out the bottom of the box but run it through the pipe into the waste container. The box is filled with three litres of fluid and the process repeated. I found that three flushes after the initial one is enough to get it back to the fresh red colour, you may need more flushes.
The last fill is again of three litres making twelve litres of new fluid in total. The O ring is put back on the connector and the torx bolt torqued to 7 ftib !!! The final stage is to do the Auto box level check by the book.

Post #439551 21st Feb 2024 8:53 am
jules

"a. Instead of taking the return pipe off the Auto box fluid cooler I use the lower connection of the two lines from the cooler to auto box, it's a Torx bolt, easy to undo.
Make sure the O ring comes out with the pipe, sometimes it can stick in the pipe hole it's easy to get out also I suggest you purchase a couple of new O rings. When you put the connection back don't overtighten it as the torque is only 7 ftib !!! The case is ally and the bolt is steel !!!!"

Do you need to temporarily blank off the return hose hole in the autobox case?

I presume you just let the old fluid get pumped out via the disconnected lower hose ? Jules

Post #439554 21st Feb 2024 10:16 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
I Like Chips wrote:
Sorry I couldn't find a specific FL2 link to the Gibbons flush, there are lots of articles on Google mostly on the Volvo Fora and a few movies on You Tube also do a search on our forum

It's a two person process, you need someone to turn the engine on and off on cue.

I use a Modified Method. the modifications are

a. Instead of taking the return pipe off the Auto box fluid cooler I use the lower connection of the two lines from the cooler to auto box, it's a Torx bolt, easy to undo.
Make sure the O ring comes out with the pipe, sometimes it can stick in the pipe hole it's easy to get out also I suggest you purchase a couple of new O rings. When you put the connection back don't overtighten it as the torque is only 7 ftib !!! The case is ally and the bolt is steel !!!!

b. I don't drop the first flush out the bottom of the box but run it through the pipe into the waste container. The box is filled with three litres of fluid and the process repeated. I found that three flushes after the initial one is enough to get it back to the fresh red colour, you may need more flushes.
The last fill is again of three litres making twelve litres of new fluid in total. The O ring is put back on the connector and the torx bolt torqued to 7 ftib !!! The final stage is to do the Auto box level check by the book.

Hi Chips.
Would this be the thread you are referring too below.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28619.ht...;start=270

Post #439560 21st Feb 2024 11:49 am
jules

Ive saved as I link for the summer's tasks.

Something I should have done before. Jules

Post #439563 21st Feb 2024 1:28 pm
I Like Chips

Jules
No need to blank the Auto box hole. Just be sure that when you pull the connector out as I have mentioned, make sure you have the O ring and you have the waste container ready to put the pipe straight into also when the engine is started it takes a few seconds maybe say four or five seconds for the flow to start hold the pipe into the waste container, but on start up don't hold the pipe end in the waste fluid unless you want fluid everywhere.

Arctic Yes and there are earlier posts by others

Post #439567 21st Feb 2024 2:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1