Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > The story of a Finnish Freelander 2 (hopefully a happy one)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
charlesnl

Finland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
The story of a Finnish Freelander 2 (hopefully a happy one)

With my to-do list becoming longer every day, I figured let's start documenting this adventure that is already slowly to start to drain my bank account Smile

So to give some background on how I got here, I went from a 2017 Subaru XV which undoubtedly was the best thing I have ever owned to a 2007/8 (year model) Freelander 2 TD4 SE and when trading in the Subaru I walked out from the dealer with extra money as they paid me to make the deal happen. I guess that was red flag #1 Very Happy

However, the service history is pretty consistent for the first 10 years or so
Had alternating A & B services, brake fluid got replaced twice in the first 10 years, belts got changed after 10 years (110k/km) and all at the Land Rover dealer that delivered the car judging by the paperwork I found.

Then in 2019 & 2020 it only got oil and filters changed (137k/km)
2021 it got dampers replaced for Bilstein ones, also at some point in 2021 the glow plug got replaced, no history of any other service done.

2022 (151k/km) - it got an A service again, but no longer at the dealer, also they put in an electric block heater (pretty common in the Nordics) later in 2022 Haldex Service was done (169k/km)

2023 - Camshaft Valve cover got replaced, front suspension arm, clutch and flywheel, power steering fluid, transmission oil. (181k/km)

And then I bought it...

First thing I did was Oil & Filters, and started to make a little list of everything that annoyed me or could use some love.

My service to-do list for the near future:

- Rear Differential Oil Change (as I can't find any proof it was ever done)
- Thermostat replacement (the temp is not really climbing, it moves up until 70ish max if half way is 90, and it takes forever to get some hot air from the vents.)
- Brakes (pads seem fine and not that old, even tho there is no paperwork of any replacements. But the discs especially in the rear are up for replacement, they have horrible grooves in them and make a grinding noise when braking)
- Brake Hoses, especially in the rear, they are pretty beaten up for some reason.
- Fuel Filter (no idea when that was last done, so better do it)
- There is a knocking sound from the left rear when hitting potholes, like someone with a hammer taps the cover over the spare wheel. (Could be this known issue that the rubber is not damping, but want to have it checked out regardless)
- water ingress from the 3th brake light

On the Add-Ons list are the following items:

- Mud Flaps
- Upgraded Tail gate cover (LR026340)
- Upgrade the fog lights to led - done
- Clean and get some cavity wax especially for the rear bits - done
- Get one of the key fobs renewed as it is falling apart.
- Roof Rails
- Rear seat covers
- Install a xtron IQ72DLRP to get some navigation and airplay (ordered, but not delivered yet)
- Find a good spot for my CB Radio
- Reversing camera install (ordered but not delivered yet)
- TPMS
- Rear passenger screen install that works with the Xtron
- Trunk 12v connection (for some reason it's not there)

so here she is:

[/list]

Last edited by charlesnl on 5th Nov 2023 9:28 am. Edited 6 times in total

Post #435261 27th Aug 2023 8:18 am
NeilTD4

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Looks good from the pictures and the service history does not sound as bad as some out there...

Sounds like it has found a good home with you, so good luck with it and enjoy it.

Above all, keep us updated on your progress...

Post #435263 27th Aug 2023 10:18 am
charlesnl

One item of the list, the rear diff oil, Job was done before I even thought about documenting it, what came out I put in a coke bottle, and it ended up having the same colour as the original content of the coke bottle so probably was in there for quite some time.

I ended up putting 75W90 in as that is what I had lying around, on the bottle it said "Suitable for applications where a 75W-90, 75W-85, 80W-90 or 85W-90 API GL-5, GL-4 oil is specified." so I guess that should be fine. I also intend to replace it a bit more often.

But as I scratched off one job from the list, a new one popped up, we had some serious downpour here last week, and I ended up with a bit of water coming in from I think the top brake light on the back:

I am not 100% sure, yet it came from the brake light, but it's the only spot that it could come from that has inside and outside access for water, the rubbers from the boot are all fine and in one piece, and I noticed inside the brake light there were some indications of water, for now I put some tape over the edge of the light which stopped the rain from entering the car, but this needs a better solution as the tape won't hold forever and looks ugly Smile does the top brake light come with some rubber around it originally? As mine has some gaps where I would expect something should have been which could explain a few things.

Post #435438 3rd Sep 2023 8:00 am
Badger51

Australia 

The high level brake light leak is a common issue. A new gasket should fix it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224697324635?ha...R8Dinp7LYg (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #435439 3rd Sep 2023 8:16 am
charlesnl

thanks! yeah, there is no gasket or anything at the moment, so that explains a lot Smile
I was thinking of just putting some silicone around it, but a new gasket looks is probably better, shipping costs are a bit crazy to Finland for the value of the gasket, but i'll think about it.

Thanks for the link Thumbs Up

Post #435440 3rd Sep 2023 8:22 am
charlesnl

Another one scratched off the list, got the Xtrons fitted, got the latest version and doesn't fit that well, there is a small gap as it doesn't line up as perfect as I want with the hole.

At some point I probably will take it out again and add some washers or drill some new screw holes in the xtrons bracket to make it fit a bit better.

Was quite a struggle to figure out the wiring for the audio, as one would assume AUX in L&R is where the AUX OUT L&R get connected, but it was AUX L&R to REAR L & R in my case Very Happy

Also,a mystery connector found, while putting away some wiring for later usage (Xtrons USB and for the reverse camera) under the gear shifter cover, I found a mystery connector at the back of the shifter stick, anyone got an idea what that is? (the green one)

Also put in some Inka covers for the rear seats.

Post #435575 8th Sep 2023 6:27 pm
charlesnl

Replaced the thermostat this week, watched some youtube videos and the Haynes manual.
The hardest part was the drain plug, that needed some wiggling before coolant began to flow out.

Also had to remove the studs that hold the thermostat in place, as it is almost impossible to get the rear pipe off with the studs still in.

I didn't put the small overflow plug thingy in correctly when putting everything back together, so when I was doing a test run, I had a lot of coolant going everywhere. Laughing before I noticed something was wrong.

After sorting that and refilling the coolant, went for a test drive, and finally got some warm air from the vents.

At some point during the test drive, I put the temps on full and that generated a low coolant error shortly after, so either there was still not enough in the system after the refill, or I have another leak somewhere, but everything is dry around the thermostat, so I just assume some air escaped and that dropped the level enough to trigger the car to warn me about it. It was just under the min mark.

Have some more time this weekend to do a bit more test-driving and see if the coolant stays in.

Post #435729 16th Sep 2023 8:12 am
charlesnl

Some stuff of the list, some new stuff on the list Smile

Off the list:

B Service + Front Diff Oil Change & Fuel Filter Change.
Xtron fitted correctly now, no more gaps.

On the list:

Passenger side front door lock, is not locking any more, replacement part ordered.
Front Brakes upgrade (XC90 Calipers + XC70 Discs) parts ordered, waiting for some Volvo brackets to make it all fit together.

Post #436774 5th Nov 2023 9:27 am
charlesnl

Took forever to get some of the parts delivered for some reason, but I got the front brakes done and upgraded to a Frankenstein solution of Volvo XC70 Disks and XC90 Calipers and pads.

Glad I got the work done at an independent Volvo mechanic, here in town, as it was not as simple as described on the forum Smile

Post #437250 23rd Nov 2023 10:01 am
Redfox

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Sounds good Charlesnl,

I would like though, to ask what was the Frankenstein job consisting of?
Bigger discs?
Better pads?
Better calipers? (2-piston each side?)

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #439282 10th Feb 2024 11:15 pm
charlesnl

Hi, yes it was a mix and match of Volvo parts, don't have all the part numbers ready to go but the main ones:

Bigger Discs 336mm (XC70) Volvo part# 31499996
Calipers (XC90) Volvo Part #36002411 & 36002410
Pads came from Autodoc (4963601010)

Also changed the brake lines, but those were JLR (LR008148)

The dust shield had to be butchered a bit to make it all fit. But for the rest it was a lot of fiddling.
I actually had an independent Volvo garage here in town do the job, so I have no pics of the process, unfortunately.

Post #439321 12th Feb 2024 10:17 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1