Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Tyres - Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Vredestein winter tyres. I had Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on all year round for around 6 years 30k miles. I didn't bother to change to summer tyres as their wear rate was so good.

I'm now using Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV. They also seem to be pretty good for winter and summer. They've been on 2 years and still have 7mm tread (around 8mm new).

Most disappointing winter tyres I've used were Dunlop. They just seemed to lack the grip of other brands. driving on the right side

Post #437472 2nd Dec 2023 12:50 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My 69 plate Disco Sport has Pirelli Zero Scorpion M+S All Season 235/55 R19 and they have JLR stamped on them so probably original (27k miles). The fronts are about 4mm and rear about 5mm so I was musing over changing them for the same then I saw the following on discosport.co.uk. Now I am not so sure.

Have been doing a bit of reserch following a thread on the Evoque forum. It seems that JLR are still fitting "all season" tyres marked M+S. These used to be OK for driving in countries that require the fitting of winter tyres at certain seasons. However that is increasingly not the case.
Winter tyres are compulsory in parts of France, as well as some other European mainland countries. From next winter, France will require winter AND all season tyres to have the mountain/snowflake mark. Other countries are likely to follow suit. Which means that tyres marked only M+S will be illegal in those areas in winter. In Germany, winter tyres are compulsory in slush and snow and must already carry the snowflake symbol, UNLESS you can prove that your M+S tyres were manufactured before Jan 2018! So there is no longer a market for M+S tyres without the snowflake symbol in France and Germany and potentially elsewhere, and the main manufacturers are moving to embrace the new standard. Goodyear and Eagle, for example, no longer list like-for-likereplacements for the Land Rover M+S tyres on their websites. Could they be dumping their (cheaper) older-style tyres on the UK market, where we have no similar rules?.
This may come as a bit of a shock if you're heading for the mountains in mainland Europe this winter. I doubt if you would get caught, UNLESS you have an accident in the snow, or the French police decide to target foreign cars (not unheard of...).
Reference: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers...89?lang=en
 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #437521 4th Dec 2023 7:33 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

"All Season" and "M&S" tyres are often though to be the same, but they are not.
M&S (mud and snow) are all terrain tyres that may offer slightly better traction in light snow but they are not necessarily winter rated with the 3 Peak Snowflake symbol. On the other hand, tyres marketed as "All Season" must since 2018 be winter rated.

To confuse matters further an All Season tyre could be marked M&S. driving on the right side

Post #437528 4th Dec 2023 9:49 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I wonder what % of Uk drivers would genuinely need 3 peak snow tyres fitted to their car, very low I would think. Probably why no need to worry about it being law to have them fitted.

Post #437532 5th Dec 2023 7:39 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Our cars are now full of things to protect us if something untoward happens so I don’t see why we shouldn’t have to tyres to cope with snow, no matter how unlikely, so will carry on fitting tyres that will cope with it.
I have been known to frequent roads where there have been problems. Better to have the capability and never need it than not to have it and fail!

Post #437534 5th Dec 2023 9:31 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Yes I agree what's the point in having 4x4 capability if the tyres are not up to it? I remember when everyone got caught out in the bad snow in 2009 and 2010 took me five hours to get home from work due to cars blocking the roads and abandoned 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #437535 5th Dec 2023 10:37 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

As far as I can see all Michelin All season tyres have the 3 peak symbol. Not really plannng to visit the Alps but it would like to see the Dolomites ( not the car sort) in Summer

Post #437542 5th Dec 2023 12:51 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Rommel wrote:
Yes I agree what's the point in having 4x4 capability if the tyres are not up to it? I remember when everyone got caught out in the bad snow in 2009 and 2010 took me five hours to get home from work due to cars blocking the roads and abandoned

I would think that a huge amount of 4x4 motor’s only leave the road to mount the pavement outside the school or a car park at a craft fair. We never leave tarmac only if it’s a grass pitch at a caravan site, so in my motoring world I never see off roading or snowy adventures. Only off roading I have done has been in an 8 wheel tipper.

Post #437545 5th Dec 2023 1:43 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Yes those on the school run that park on the pavement is the only off roading that they do , I use my Defender to tow the old boilers Horse box across muddy fields and use my FL2 to access MOD firing ranges when I go shooting so having the the proper tyres is a must for me, otherwise I would be driving a Fix Or Repair Daily Mundane O 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #437546 5th Dec 2023 1:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12