Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Is my battery failing ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Thanks for link.
Have we discovered why the garage 'Battery Tests' fail to find the lack of capacity (with age).

'Mechanics prefer small sizes and device manufactures have developed handheld testers, which induce a momentary high-current pulse that corresponds to the entered CCA value. Ohm’s law calculates the internal resistance on hand of the induced voltage drop, and the device provides a CCA-equivalent reading. This test method is fast and convenient, but it does not estimate capacity'.

If I understand this article correctly, it says that a fully charged battery (even when old and/or damaged and therefore low capacity) will pass this momentary 'quick check'.

Our forum is full of reports that failing batteries have passed the garage checks but on changing the battery cured the problems.

I experienced this quite recently when my failing battery passed the Quick-Fit test and although covered by a warranty was declared serviceable. After a few months more I changed it and cured the ongoing problems.

It leads me to believe our old method of measuring across each individual cell was better after all. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #436888 9th Nov 2023 10:39 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Just had my car serviced. I put in a new Varta Silver F18 battery 800 CCA a year ago.

My mechanic tested the battery, 900 CCA.

I would guess that a battery a year old is probably down about 50 CCA. So should be about 750 CCA. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #436889 9th Nov 2023 11:49 am
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

2014 se tech. 58k. Possibly still original battery.

Hello all. I think my battery may be on the way out too. Went out to the shop approx half a mile away and double locked the car. Returned about 15 mins later and double clicked to open. Interior light came on and mirrors opened up but all the doors inc boot were still locked. I fiddled about with the remote and still nothing would open. However the boot did unlock and was able to access the car that way.

I checked the voltage with my very simple cigar lighter tester. Approx 11 with ignition only on. Approx 14.1 with engine running. No problem with starting the engine.

Is this a sign that the battery is on the way out. Thanks for reading and I would appreciate your opinions.

Last edited by ggb on 9th Nov 2023 6:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #436897 9th Nov 2023 6:41 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Potentially, if the battery is more than 4 years, it's well past its best, and will only cause problems. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #436898 9th Nov 2023 6:46 pm
IanMetro

ggb wrote:

Hello all. I think my battery may be on the way out too. Went out to the shop approx half a mile away and double locked the car. Returned about 15 mins later and double clicked to open. Interior light came on and mirrors opened up but all the doors inc boot were still locked. I fiddled about with the remote and still nothing would open. However the boot did unlock and was able to access the car that way.

I checked the voltage with my very simple cigar lighter tester. Approx 11 with ignition only on. Approx 14.1 with engine running. No problem with starting the engine.

Is this a sign that the battery is on the way out. Thanks for reading and I would appreciate your opinions.

Do you know that you can always get in via the Emergency Key (in Fob) and the Passenger Door (Keyhole under Door Handle Trim).

Note Nodge's advice to try it out when not in Emergency Mode.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35264.ht...p;start=15 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #436899 9th Nov 2023 7:31 pm
ggb

Ian metro - Yes I knew about the emergency key. As it was cold dark and wet it was easier to use the boot. I will however check it functions properly. Thank you.

Nodge68 - Agree. I will invest in a new battery. Thank you.

Post #436903 9th Nov 2023 8:36 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

ggb wrote:

Cig lighter is not a good place to check voltage, too far from the battery. I would expect at least a 1V drop, probably more.

Best way to check battery voltage is...

1. Fully charge the battery, either with a charger or long-ish drive.
2. Let it sit for a few hours.
3. Check voltage at the battery terminals, with doors closed and everything off (the hood switch and alarm are not significant).

If it's below 12.4V that's an issue. If it's below 12.0V, it's done.

Post #436967 12th Nov 2023 4:16 am
ggb

Merlij79 - Thanks for your reply. The cig lighter tester is the only way I had to test the voltage. I knew it was not going to be very accurate. Also I don’t have access to a charger. So I went ahead and replaced the battery with a Yuasa 800 stop/start. I now have the peace of mind that I should not get caught out.

It looked like it was the original battery as it was LR badged. So it lasted 9 years and 58k.

Post #436969 12th Nov 2023 10:15 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Are the warranties attached to batteries actually worth anything ?

Anybody managed to successfully claim on a defective battery ?

What was the process involved ?

I imagine returning a battery would be a major hassle.

EDIT
Its all here
https://www.tayna.co.uk/warranty-procedure Jules

Last edited by jules on 12th Nov 2023 12:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #436974 12th Nov 2023 11:57 am
jules

This Exide AGM is a lot cheaper than a Varta F21 (AGM)- same size, Ah and CCA (£130 vs £190)

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ek800/

Only 3 year warranty but does that really matter. Jules

Post #436975 12th Nov 2023 12:30 pm
IanMetro

jules wrote:

EDIT
Its all here
https://www.tayna.co.uk/warranty-procedure

My Kwik-Fit Warranted Battery was failing to start the car unless I externally kept charging it.
After an AA call out, who jump started the car and pronounced that the car's charging system seemed ok and advised me to get a 'proper' battery test, I went to my local Kwik-Fit.

They gave it a 30 second test and said the battery was OK.
After struggling on for a few more months (buying a 'state of the art' battery charger and battery booster), I decided to buy a new battery this time from Halfords.
This cured all my problems
From this I have concluded
1) The Original Battery WAS duff
2) The Quick Kwik-Fit test wasn't up to the job
3) I had experienced yet another example of after-market Warranties being impossible to claim on. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #436976 12th Nov 2023 1:35 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

jules wrote:

EDIT
Its all here

I had a similar situation a few years back

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37936.html

When I reported the faulty battery to Tayna, first they wanted me to fully charge it and then measure the voltage
Then they arranged to collect the battery
Tayna agreed that the battery was faulty but would only offer a replacement
I suggested a credit against a future purchase or even a cash settlement equivalent to the balance of warranty remaining but all to no avail
All this had taken about 6 weeks and so I had had to purchase a replacement locally

Steve

Post #436984 12th Nov 2023 5:46 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

jules wrote:

EDIT
Its all here

With our vehicle you might get caught in a grey area where the battery is too weak for the LR2/FL2 but still meets the vendor's tolerances.

I'll just leave this here... such a battery might need some "help" to get it firmly into failed territory.

For clarity on my previous post: low resting voltage can tell you if a battery is bad. The converse is not true however, a good resting voltage does *not* assure that the battery is good and will produce anywhere near rated CCA. So voltage is just the easiest place to start... if it's good, need to move on to load checks.

Post #436987 12th Nov 2023 6:46 pm
jules

Thanks.
Tis as I thought - warranty not worth the hassle of claiming.
Tanya will not be interested in a battery that is 4 years and 6 months into its warranty period, unless it blows up or something equally dramatic.
The fact that after standing for 4 days after an overnight charge its down to 11.8v and causes the electronics to get upset during the initial start up will probably not satisfy a claim.

Somethings are worth fighting for; I'm getting a whole new vacuum cleaner as the wand connection broke within 1 year - took a few phone calls and sending pics. I would have been happy with just a new wand but they insisted on sending a new cleaner and resetting the warranty period. John Lewis - a proper shop Thumbs Up .

But life is short - I'll just get another battery. Jules

Post #436988 12th Nov 2023 7:27 pm
jules

Changed battery today.

Found I couldn't get the NEG terminal clamp tight enough to stop it rotating. Checked the terminals on the battery - same size as previous battery.

Then noticed that the NEG clamp is different to the POS clamp. I assume to give better access to the nut.

But the design is poor and allows the clamp to twist so that is not as tight as it should be even when fully done up. I had to realign it in a vice before it would grip the NEG terminal post properly.

Anyway replacement battery is much better - no low voltage warnings and only dropping to 11v on starting.

Jules

Post #437402 29th Nov 2023 6:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12