Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > How has this broken? (Inlet manifold?)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 
How has this broken? (Inlet manifold?)

Hi guys,

My FL2 2008 has started bunny hopping slightly and I've had rough idle a few times. I have no fault codes apart from a intermittent p0299 (turbo underboost).

I drove it tonight to get some fuel and all was fine until I filled up atlnd started again. The hopping was there again it was like the revs were increasing without any foot input.

I got it home and left it turned on on its lumpy idle and occasionally it would hunt and revs would increase and I would see a slight whiff of smoke from under the engine cover.

I'm sorry for the photos but I have seen this area of the inlet manifold appear to be cracked? Does anyone know how this could have happened?

I removed the inlet manifold 3-4 years ago to delete the swirl flaps, plug vaccumn hose, Replace glowplugs, replace inlet manifold seals x4 and fuel filter.

It looks like the vaccumn part has collapsed and thus sucking in air into the inlet and disrupting the air mixture? I'm only guessing!

I'd like to hear your input!

Post #436861 7th Nov 2023 10:03 pm
jimbowats

I would say a furry friend has chewed through that...the plastic wouldn't just disintegrate like that under normal use..

Post #436864 8th Nov 2023 9:22 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree with the above raticuspaininthearseicus and I thought I had it bad with the slugs and snails.

Post #436868 8th Nov 2023 9:45 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

rats !

Ive got several big plastic compost bins - and rats have eaten through the side - they only need an edge to get a grip on to. Jules

Post #436871 8th Nov 2023 10:52 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
Genuine Offer

If its any help, a few years ago a bought off ebay a s/h inlet manifold which I removed the swirl flaps & blanked off the various ports etc. Plus throughly cleaned up and swapped onto my FL2.

The Old original I took off I've been meaning to sell ever since, but as usual never got round to it,it is currently sitting in a box in my garage complete with swirl flaps attached.

You are welcome to it if you wish for only the price of the postage, please PM if interested.

Cheers
Brian Cool

Post #436873 8th Nov 2023 11:43 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Result nice gesture there Thumbs Up

Post #436874 8th Nov 2023 12:06 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I also think you've had a visit from rodents, chewing on bits and pieces. I've had similar issues over the years, where rats or mice have chewed things in the engine bay or even inside the vehicle.

I'd replace the inlet manifold, and do the fuel filter while it's off, as that's a 2 yearly service part, but make sure you use a genuine LR or OE replacement.

It's worth checking the boost hoses too, as your code can be set by anything that reduces the boost pressure to below what the ECM is expecting it to be. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #436881 8th Nov 2023 7:17 pm
kiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 
Re: Genuine Offer

Cherokee wrote:
If its any help, a few years ago a bought off ebay a s/h inlet manifold which I removed the swirl flaps & blanked off the various ports etc. Plus throughly cleaned up and swapped onto my FL2.

The Old original I took off I've been meaning to sell ever since, but as usual never got round to it,it is currently sitting in a box in my garage complete with swirl flaps attached.

You are welcome to it if you wish for only the price of the postage, please PM if interested.

Cheers
Brian Cool

That's very kind thank you. I took it to the garage and they said it looks fine which I was a little shocked by and they replaced the MAF sensor and all is OK now which is a bit strange. Apart from now my mpg on the trip computer has gone down to 18-23mpg from 29-35mpg pre repair and its now doing 210 miles to a tank compared with 400 before!

Is there any setting up or calibration of a maf sensor before fitting otherwise I'm not sure what has gone on?

Post #437512 3rd Dec 2023 9:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1