Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > How Does The Freelander Warm Up It's Diesel On A Frozen Day?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue
How Does The Freelander Warm Up It's Diesel On A Frozen Day?

Hi everyone. For once this isn't a topic about a problem with a Freelander 2! Laughing I know there are some very knowledgeable people that are very clued up about the cars we drive on this forum. Smile I quite like knowing the inner workings/the geeky bits of Freelander 2's and hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

I know that the Freelander 2 has a system where it warms up the diesel to stop it waxing(?) which, from what I've read on various posts on here, uses the fuel filter and high pressure pump. That's about the extent of my knowledge on this.

So what I'd like to know is, what is exactly involved? Let me set the scene. It's a cold, frosty winters day in the UK and it's 0 degrees and the cars covered in frost. I jump in, start the car and it fires into life.

- Is there a set temperature outside that this diesel warming happens or does the outside temperature have no bearings on it? Will it do it on a summer's day until the fuel gets to a certain temperature? Anyone know what the target temperature that it keeps the fuel at?

- I've heard that a certain amount of fuel gets returned from the high pressure fuel pump. How does it know how much to return and when to stop returning it?

- Is it just to warm up the filter which in turn warms up the fuel? Or is it's end game to keep returning warm fuel until the fuel in the tank is warm?

- Is/Was this system unique to the Freelander 2 or was it a system that was widely used in diesels?

If someone can explain what the journey is from when it's stone cold in the tank all the way to being nice and toasty, that would be much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Post #436441 20th Oct 2023 1:26 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Not to forget that diesel sold in winter in cold climates has additional additives.

Down under the lowest temperature I have had is -4°C & not even skiing, but with petrol there are no issues. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #436444 20th Oct 2023 2:00 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Glow plugs
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/glows.pdf
Fuel filter
http://www.freel2.com/forum/post96179.html#96179
Sorry the post is in Romanian but the pertinent image is annotated in English.

Post #436446 20th Oct 2023 2:54 pm
Dean1234

Thanks for the post BossBob. Smile Here's where I'm at so far with trying to figure out how the Freelander 2 warms up the diesel when it's cold.

1. The stone cold fuel gets pulled from the fuel tank via the fuel pump, into the fuel lines to the front of the car.

2. The fuel lines connect to the fuel filter where the cold fuel is passed through the filter. The temperature sensor somewhere within the fuel filter detects the temperature of the fuel and reports it to the ECU(?).

3. The ECU(?) notices that the fuel is cold and below the temperature it requires. It then tells the fuel filter to open a passage on the return line section of the fuel filter to allow returned fuel to enter into?

4. The fuel, while still cold is sent to the high pressure fuel pump and then onto the injectors to be combusted.

5. The pressure(?) of the high pressure fuel pump warms the fuel(?). An unknown percentage of this warmed fuel is sent down the high pressure fuel pump leak off pipe which is connected to the return side of the fuel filter. (Does the ECU tell the fuel pump to send fuel down the return line or is it always doing this?)

6. That warm fuel from the leak off pipe enters the return line of the fuel filter and because the ECU(?) knows that the fuel is cold, the warm fuel drops into the fuel filter, thus warming it and the fuel running through it.

7. This continues until the fuel temperature sensor in the fuel filter detects that the fuel is warm enough and closes the port within the fuel filter to stop the returned fuel from constantly warming it up.

8. Instead of warming the fuel up within the fuel filter. It now bypasses the fuel filter and has a direct trip back to the tank.

How close am I? I feel like I could be along the right lines with a few errors here and there? Smile

Post #436450 20th Oct 2023 3:37 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

My Diesel filter doesn't have any sensors connected to it, I don't think many in the UK do.

Typical cold start is press the start button and there will be a variable time delay depending on how cold it is, whilst the Glow Plugs warm up the diesel, before the engine tries to start. You may see the glow plug symbol appear on the dash. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #436453 20th Oct 2023 6:07 pm
Dean1234

You can see at about 2:50 in this video ( https://youtu.be/fuAY1_hFuPQ?si=zB25-hIfW2ubfdBK) that we disconnected the fuel temperature sensor from the filter.

I know about the glowplug/engine/cranking side of it. Just trying to get to the bottom of the fuel warming process. Very Happy

Post #436454 20th Oct 2023 6:28 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The fuel filter bypass valve is entirely mechanical and recirculates 95% of fuel when returning fuel is below 10C.

Its all in the free JLR workshop manual - download it and read at your leisure - go to home and follow the link

eg page 1589

Jules

Post #436455 20th Oct 2023 6:55 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

What Jules says. The thermal system in the fuel filter is self contained. That is why it is so important to use an authentic filter.

Post #436467 20th Oct 2023 9:53 pm
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi, Greetings from Norway!

Have no idea of the fuel return/warmer system. In general, it should be OK as long as you fill diesel in the same area as it is used. There will be additives added to the diesel from the supplier when sold below a certain temperature. Think it can be thinned with some paraffin IIRC if "winter diesel" is not available. We are talking below -5C. Except for that, make sure the glow plugs are working and the battery and filter is in good shape. Mine fires without problem in -15C, but have a habit of giving it a "double glow" before I fire it up at that temperatures.

The FL2 is built and tested for -35C, so it should be no problem Smile

Post #436544 24th Oct 2023 11:35 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Dean1234 wrote:
You can see at about 2:50 in this video ( https://youtu.be/fuAY1_hFuPQ?si=zB25-hIfW2ubfdBK) that we disconnected the fuel temperature sensor from the filter.

I know about the glowplug/engine/cranking side of it. Just trying to get to the bottom of the fuel warming process. Very Happy

Ah, I was thinking about the bottom of the filter, there are some FL2s that have an electrical component that connects into the bottom of the filter. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #436590 26th Oct 2023 10:12 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Its for a water sensor though not fitted on most FL2s 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #436591 26th Oct 2023 10:56 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

That puzzled me for a while as my 2014 even has the wire and connector for that in its loom - but the filter have no sensor just a dummy connection - a rollover from the Evoque loom at the end of the FL's run. Jules

Post #436600 26th Oct 2023 2:33 pm
Geobloke

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

MRRover75 wrote:
Hi, Greetings from Norway!

Have no idea of the fuel return/warmer system. In general, it should be OK as long as you fill diesel in the same area as it is used. There will be additives added to the diesel from the supplier when sold below a certain temperature. Think it can be thinned with some paraffin IIRC if "winter diesel" is not available. We are talking below -5C. Except for that, make sure the glow plugs are working and the battery and filter is in good shape. Mine fires without problem in -15C, but have a habit of giving it a "double glow" before I fire it up at that temperatures.

The FL2 is built and tested for -35C, so it should be no problem Smile

As above Thumbs Up Back last winter we had a few weeks (don't laugh MRRover75) of -12 +/- degC and the Freelander started with no problem at all. Double glow plug and keeping the battery in tip top condition is critical. When it is due to get cold like this I tend to stick the battery conditioner (CTEK) on overnight to keep things warm and charged. Never fails to start in the morning.

Post #436704 1st Nov 2023 8:07 pm
Dean1234

Just to round up this thread and in case anyone else is interested in how the Freelander 2 warms up the diesel on cold days in a very basic form. I first started off by opening up an old diesel filter we had to see what was inside and how it worked:

https://youtu.be/r4EXcB2a44E

You can see at 7:14 in the video the return line and the thermostat inside.

I talk about it in a more fuller sense with a basic animation in this video at 0:52:

https://youtu.be/e4D623-88-Q

Click image to enlarge

This feature was fun to learn about and a very clever design to allow the car to work in colder climates. Smile

Post #436847 7th Nov 2023 3:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1