Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EGR delete. Hardware/Software
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Germplus1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
EGR delete. Hardware/Software

Hello Guys,

I am planning of completely deleting my EGR systems as I have seen in other forums. In the process of sorting the kits.

Only issue is I will need a software patch to upload through my mongoose and SDD. Basically deleting the EGR valve parameters and also the EGR vacuum.

If Alex or anyone can help me with the software will be really appreciated.

I have added a picture of the hardware delete which I saw on the internet not mine.

Regards,
Germplus.

2008SE
Memory seats
Webasto Fuel Burning heater with smart phone remote start
Premium Surround Sound
Xtron Unit with wireless CarPlay
Dual Battery System
DAB

Post #435288 27th Aug 2023 11:15 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

You have to ask yourself why? The system is pretty reliable, and is there to ensure the vehicle produces reduced NOX, and as a byproduct improves MPG while cruising.

Don't forget that the vehicle can also be given an MOT major fail if the tester finds the EGR system has been tampered with, meaning the vehicle can't be used until the issue is corrected.

Also you can't do an air path calibration if any part of the air path isn't functional, which includes the EGR, so without a working EGR system, SDD can't calibrate replacement MAP, MAF, turbo actuator or throttle body, so the engine will run below optimum, reducing power and efficiency.

My advice is to keep the EGR system as LR intended, and simply maintain it as part of the 2 yearly service. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #435312 28th Aug 2023 10:13 pm
Trent63

Russia 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Fuji White
Re: EGR delete. Hardware/Software

Germplus1 wrote:
Hello Guys,

I am planning of completely deleting my EGR systems as I have seen in other forums. In the process of sorting the kits.

Only issue is I will need a software patch to upload through my mongoose and SDD. Basically deleting the EGR valve parameters and also the EGR vacuum.

If Alex or anyone can help me with the software will be really appreciated.

I have added a picture of the hardware delete which I saw on the internet not mine.

if you need help in programmatically disabling the EGR, then contact me, I can remotely disable it and, if desired, increase the power.

Post #436032 3rd Oct 2023 9:05 pm
FL2ukkent

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

is not doing so an MOT failure?

Post #436033 3rd Oct 2023 10:00 pm
Trent63

No, EGR is disabled at the firmware level, and there are no errors.

Post #436034 3rd Oct 2023 10:03 pm
FL2ukkent

are you certain, from google

Is EGR and DPF Delete Legal? Unfortunately for motorheads in the UK, it is currently illegal to remove or disable your DPF and EGR, and any vehicle without these parts (where applicable) will fail its MOT.25 Feb 2022

Post #436037 3rd Oct 2023 10:42 pm
Trent63

Well, that means the British will have to suffer and pay for EGR repairs that reduce engine life. In normal countries, the presence of EGR does not affect the passing of technical inspection.

Post #436038 3rd Oct 2023 10:47 pm
FL2ukkent

For us as a normal country it is all part of reducing pollution to the air that people breathe and help with global warming, but then normal countries would not want to go to war with their neighbours.

Post #436040 4th Oct 2023 7:00 am
Trent63

and they write this from a country that still uses coal and fuel oil for heating? heating one house in 3 months will do more harm than all LR2s combined with EGR disabled. Therefore, either put on your panties or take off your cross and stop engaging in demagoguery.

Post #436043 4th Oct 2023 7:26 am
FL2ukkent

The majority of homes in the U.K. are heated by gas, considerably less will be oil, and even less these days use coal. Given there are some 33 million cars in the u.k. and 250 million in the EU reducing emissions from them is seen as every little helps.
Like it not the U.K. and EU have low emission zones where if your car does not meet the required emissions standards you have to pay to enter the zone or in some cases cannot enter at all.
Hence it’s illegal to block/delete EGR’s.

Post #436045 4th Oct 2023 7:53 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Dpf and Egr on Freelander 2s don't make them meet ULEZ standards, they are at best only Euro 5 compliant so you've got to pay to enter the zones in one anyway?
(Or as some unfortunate members have had to do, sell it and buy a compliant car in order to avoid the charges). Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #436053 4th Oct 2023 5:07 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

It depends on the city:

I'd have to pay in London, Birmingham, and Bristol.

But no charge for my SD4 in Bath, Bradford, Gtr Manchester, Portsmouth, Sheffield, Tyneside.

The only one I'm ever likely to take the FL2 through is Bradford; on the way up to the Dales.

I'm going to a 40th Reunion in BHam soon - not driven there since retiring in 2017 (even though we're only 16 miles from the centre) so will be taking the Fiesta. Jules

Post #436060 4th Oct 2023 9:27 pm
Trent63

FL2ukkent wrote:
The majority of homes in the U.K. are heated by gas, considerably less will be oil, and even less these days use coal. Given there are some 33 million cars in the u.k. and 250 million in the EU reducing emissions from them is seen as every little helps.
Like it not the U.K. and EU have low emission zones where if your car does not meet the required emissions standards you have to pay to enter the zone or in some cases cannot enter at all.
Hence it’s illegal to block/delete EGR’s.

I understand correctly that don't really care about ecology. The main thing is that the driver pays for one reason or another. Today you pay for the fact that there is no EGR. Tomorrow your owners will come up with another tom and you will pay for using air conditioning in the car, because it affects the environment. The day after tomorrow for having rails or mad wheels on your roof. After all, they also somehow affect the environment. Hell, in a week they will introduce an air taxi and all of you will be obliged to breathe every other time

Post #436062 4th Oct 2023 9:41 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Unfortunately the motorist is easy money for governments. This is the same the word over. A motorist will pay to be a motorist. Either by paying to drive into a particular city, or by paying tax on the fuel we put in the car.
It's all about collecting money from the motorist.
Modern cars are less polluting because they have emission control devices fitted. Tampering with those devices can either have the vehicle fail its inspection, or in some countries the owner can also be given a fine.
So it's sensible to just keep it as the manufacturer designed it. It doesn't reduce the engine life, that's a myth, and while the EGR can appear to cause reliability issues, but there are other problems that are more common.

We'll all be driving electric cars in the next few years anyway, and the various government's will have to come up with new ways to make money from the motorist.

Oh and the UK hasn't used coal for regular electricity generation for over a decade, and less than 250,000 houses still use it for heating. Oil heating is only 1.6 Million homes, the vast majority use gas or electric heating. So the air in the UK is generally pretty clear and pollution free. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #436080 5th Oct 2023 8:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1