« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Structural Undertray ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

3landertwo wrote:
Yes, Ford did a really good job in designing the FL2.

Remember the FL1 was a Maestro van.

Sort of.
The Freelander 1 was a newly designed vehicle, but did share some minor similarities to the Montego/Maestro like the front suspension. The Freelander body is a sort of distant cousin to the Honda CRV, even the wheels from the CRV are a direct fit, although that's where the similarities end.
The Maestro van connection came about as LR used the Maestro van body (similar front suspension, and gearbox) as the incognito test mules for the Freelander 1 running gear during development. Other than the front suspension and gearbox, there's not much else Maestro in it. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434409 28th Jul 2023 9:51 pm
Madmustang

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

And here is the said Beasty

https://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/colle...van-body#v

Post #435754 17th Sep 2023 7:55 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It's a great pity the Honda CRV rear diff wasn't used in the Freelander 2

Post #435776 17th Sep 2023 9:36 pm
3landertwo

I had a friend who worked for Rover at the time they had an association with Honda. The only joint work project was the Land Rover Discovery 200, which Honda rebadge as a Honda Crossroads, for certain world markets.

Now the Rover group and Honda never had any collaboration in the CB40 (Freelander 1) let alone the Freelander 2

The FL2 was a project under the Ford ownership of Land Rover It was designed and built by Ford engineers, with NO input from the Rover Group. (or Honda for that matter)

Post #435782 18th Sep 2023 8:46 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

From what I read the FL2 was a completely new vehicle, other than to build on the volume sales success of the FL1, it shared nothing (or very little) with the FL1.

Apart from getting up to date with the inclusion of the electronically controlled 'Haldex' plus 'Terrain Response', the vehicle had to become bigger to accommodate the Ford engines (the previous K-series was quite compact (& light?).
Also the interior was equipped with a better designed, higher quality layout.

The quick reacting 4 wheel drive system was the best in it's class of vehicle and relatively unique at the time (I think that it most likely is still the best off road now, amongst the present medium sized SUVs).

See books below for those who want to know more :-

The history of Land Rover vehicles is well described in the 'Land Rover Scrapbook'

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/land-rover..._301493230

Or that of the Freelander in this book

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/land-ro...lsrc=aw.ds FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #435788 18th Sep 2023 10:21 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

3landertwo wrote:
I had a friend who worked for Rover at the time they had an association with Honda. The only joint work project was the Land Rover Discovery 200, which Honda rebadge as a Honda Crossroads, for certain world markets.

Now the Rover group and Honda never had any collaboration in the CB40 (Freelander 1) let alone the Freelander 2

The FL2 was a project under the Ford ownership of Land Rover It was designed and built by Ford engineers, with NO input from the Rover Group. (or Honda for that matter)

That might be the official line. However there are several similarities between the FL1 and CRV. The gearbox is a Honda design for starters, and the suspension is very similar, even the wheel PCD and central bore are the same as the Honda, but different to every other vehicle in the Rover/ LR stable.
The body design is also very similar in structure, layout and dimension. Even the rear door is hinged on the same side, which is opposite to other side hinged LRs.
Work on both the FL1 and first generation CRV, and you very quickly discover just how similar the two vehicles are, which has to be more than coincidental.

The FL2 has nothing in common with the FL1 or CRV, which is understandable as it's Ford based. However the bag hangers in the boot are from the FL1. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #435794 18th Sep 2023 7:16 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

I Like Chips wrote:
It's a great pity the Honda CRV rear diff wasn't used in the Freelander 2

I considered the CRV before I got the FL2 (I like Hondas & had a Accord before my current Civic).. but the CRV rear diffs were very weak I thought - to the extent that Honda backed off the power sent to them to the point where it was effectively 2wd - I seem to recall a (maybe top gear?) test on a ski slope where the CRV was hopeless 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #435802 19th Sep 2023 8:27 am
I Like Chips

What like an Eddie the Eagle ski slope. There are plenty of movies on you tube showing the CRV doing stuff. When i had one I changed the rear box fluid every year, ran with no problems in seven years.

Post #435822 19th Sep 2023 5:22 pm
I Like Chips

What like an Eddie the Eagle ski slope. There are plenty of movies on you tube showing the CRV doing stuff. When i had one I changed the rear box fluid every year, ran with no problems in seven years.

Post #435823 19th Sep 2023 5:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12