Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > iPhone 3G S (or HSE for Landie owners !! )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
iPhone 3G S (or HSE for Landie owners !! )

So the new 3GS has been announced. http://www.apple.com/iphone/

As an existing 3G user, it is a little underwhelming, although there are some nice features (but most provided by the Os 3.0 upgrade anyway).

The biggest issue is that existing users to upgrade have to "buy out" of their contract (pay the remaining months) and then buy the phone and sign up for a new contract! You didn't have to do this when upgrading from the original iPhone to 3G Crying or Very sad

See http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/iPhone+3GS/news.asp?c=13740

O2 forget that these days, the old adage that the "Customer is King", is more true today than it ever has been. P*ss off your customers and they will walk when they can. Keep them happy and they will come back for more and pay for more. When Apple open up to other airtime suppliers at some stage in the future - then O2 will need to take heed! Chris

Post #42862 9th Jun 2009 9:43 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

I had hoped they'll announce they had dropped O2 as preferred supplier...still waiting. I guess that's the problem with only a single carrier, they do what they want because its a captive audience Phil

Post #42866 9th Jun 2009 10:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Why should they do it this time round, The last one was really due to the fact the original launched iPhone didn't have the 3G system which it really did need (i.e Launched too early)

Look at it this way if you had a Sony Ericsson k750 and the launched a mid term update to a K800 you wouldn't be elligable either.

You choosed the phone knowing that you would have that phone for the length of the contract, what ever that maybe Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42868 9th Jun 2009 10:38 am
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

My iphone works perfectly well on vodafone. I don't get the fancy voice mail thing, but don't miss it at all.

It's a totally standard, not jail-broken, no chipped sim-holder, not hacked in any way iphone. All I did was buy one destined for Italy, where they aren't allowed to be sold SIM-locked. It speaks English just the same as any iphone here Smile

- Dick

Post #42876 9th Jun 2009 12:49 pm
MVS

Just out of interest where did you source your 'destined for Italy' version??

Post #42878 9th Jun 2009 1:16 pm
ttc546

npinks wrote:
Why should they do it this time round, The last one was really due to the fact the original launched iPhone didn't have the 3G system which it really did need (i.e Launched too early)

Look at it this way if you had a Sony Ericsson k750 and the launched a mid term update to a K800 you wouldn't be elligable either.

You choosed the phone knowing that you would have that phone for the length of the contract, what ever that maybe Exclamation

Except that the upgrade price is the number of months left * monthly contract fee. This is more than the cost of the subsidy of the phone. This is the cost of the subsidy AND your free phone minutes AND Texts AND Data! - all of which you would lose. Chris

Post #42880 9th Jun 2009 1:40 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Any mobile phone contract states a minimum period and i am sure you was aware of the minimum contract etc when you signed up and what this entailed too

If your wanting a new phone, you will have 2 options,

1) Buy the phone outright and pop in the old Sim card (what ever the unsubsidized cost of this would be)

2) pay off the balance of the contract and sign up to a new one as if a new customer and pay the subsidized cost

You would then pay the same as anybody else

I have been waiting for the costing and the 3Gs to be announced and done quite a bit of reading on it today, and it seems to me that because they are not getting a free upgrade loads of once happy iphone users are unhappy with the phone because that even though they know how mobile phone contracts work and when you can upgrade your phone. Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42885 9th Jun 2009 2:34 pm
dick

MVS wrote:
Just out of interest where did you source your 'destined for Italy' version??

Assume telling you is in forum rules, as they don't sell car parts to my knowledge Smile

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/9352...oduct.html

Expensive up-front, but probably cheaper long term if your contract is better value than the O2 one - which is not difficult.

- Dick

Post #42903 9th Jun 2009 4:42 pm
MVS

Thanks for that.
Mike

Post #42938 10th Jun 2009 8:35 am
ttc546

A fair and just solution. If only ...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...e-problem/ Chris

Post #43010 10th Jun 2009 6:26 pm
dick

I think my solution is far more sensible - let the customer buy the phone and sell the connectivity contract separately.

I've long been of the opinion that the handset subsidy and 'free' minutes work against the consumer, and have bought phones SIM-free for the last 10 years. It works out for me on my personal contract, as I still have the Orange price-matched Virgin Mobile tariff, that has no inclusive minutes and no fixed monthly fee. My average monthly bill on that phone is £3 or £4. That deal is so good for the consumer, it's impossible to get now.

Whenever I fancy a new phone, I can choose whichever model I want if I can find a price I'm prepared to pay. Which is how it should work. It also means I get the (hopefully) tested vendor software, not the version that's been Censored about by the networks.

Unfortunately the consumer here has been brainwashed into thinking phones and minutes are free, without adding up how much it's really costing them. (And no, I'm not from Yorkshire Smile )

- Dick

Post #43067 11th Jun 2009 3:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

ordered my new iphone 3Gs 16gb, should arrive monday/tuesday next week Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #43535 19th Jun 2009 1:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1