Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My Freelander vs Sister's Evoque
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Skoda was on our list. Nice cars. But I crossed them off the list as I wanted a proper automatic. Don't want to be crawling on bush tracks with a dual clutch system. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433925 7th Jul 2023 10:18 pm
mdpslm

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I've owned:
In Switzerland: 2015 Superb Mk3 2.0 TDI 190BHP 4x4 6-speed DSG L&K estate - Skoda Dealership managers car Jan 2017-Sep2022 (25K Km to 160k KM), - It was a launch car and no real issues/failures experienced in those 5 & half years beyond wear & trear. I kept it serviced at specified intervals, experienced some suspension creak but new bushes sorted it.

In UK: 2019 Superb Mk3 2.0 TDI 190BHP 4x4 7-speed DSG L&K estate - Owned Sep2022 to present day (at 40K miles).

Main plus points:
I'm 6 foot 3 inches and and when in my normal driving position a 6 foot 7 inch mate can sit directly behind me with good leg room. Seats are large and super comfortable in the L&K version (full leather, heated & ventilated) which means I always feel very good after a long drive. Same tall mate had a Superb Sportline estate with bucket/sport seats which for me and my large frame where not so comfortable after longer periods.

Internal space and comfort is just incredible with the biggest boot space I've ever seen - it swallows so much stuff. Our family & visiting friends (4 or 5 adults, plus a large dog in boot with gaurd & divider and sometimes with a 620 litre roof box depending on duration) made regular trips from Switzerland all around mainland Europe and also multiple trips to UK, taking and bringing back pleanty of kit and supplies, it just swallows everything and has plents of well organised cuby holes.

I always change to winter tyres for the season and when combined with the 4x4 the car feels very safe and planted in all condistions and on all road surfaces in all conditions. We regularly went up into mountains for skiing and hiking in the winter in CH & France and, assuming you know how to drive on packed frozen snow on small twisting roads in ski reorts or new heavy felling snow on motorways. We carried chains but never had to use them.

L&K's & Sportlines have very high spec and many very useful features (ACC, lane guidance, driving mode selections, incredible infotainment system, umbrellas in doors Smile etc, ...).

Skoda satnav has free updates twice a year, unlike most other companies.

Both of mine had 190BHP TDI engine but have read multiple times that the 150 BHP is better with hardly noticeable differences in performance, although I've not driven a 150. DSG in normal mode is occasionally hesitant but nice & smooth most of the times, as with the Freelander 2 Autobox you get used to it and your driving style adapts to it.

The Ross-Tech VCDS plug-in diagnostics system is not too expensive, is common to Skoda, VW, Audi & Seat and is really useful for investigating/resetting faults, carrying out most workshop set-up/reset processes and applying upgrades & customising the cars systems. It is widely used and how to's are shared across multiple Skoda, VW, Audi & Seat forums. All these forums also give a huge userbase for researching all aspects of that group, which means if you experience something or want to know about something then somebody has probably done it or seen it already and also shared good info. Also the Skoda, VW, Audi & Seat car groups having common parts means that getting spares is very easy from both OEM and non-OEM at good prices and in quick time usually.

The Superb is a long & large car that you may or may not want /need and having had 2 Octavia estates as hire cars I found them only a little small for myself plus passengers but as Jules said, they do have a big boot, very close to that of the Superb. Also worth knowing; the Superb Scout version is not available in the UK but is in the Octavia, which gives a noticeable improvement in ground clearance.

Hope this is useful & puts across why I like the Superb as much the Freelander 2 even though they are very different beasts - I'm on my 2 of each car and am very happy with both Very Happy Very Happy Current: FL2 64 plate Black SD4 Auto Metropolis
Gone: FL2 2006 Tambora Flame Orange 2.2 TD4 manual HSE - (90K KM - 268K KM, LHD in CH)

Post #433939 8th Jul 2023 6:31 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Good to hear and reinforces my own opinion of how good these Superbs seem. A definite contender when the Freelander needs to be replaced as sadly nothing in the current LR line up appeals (or nothing at a sensible price).
We have strayed from the original Evoque comparison- sorry! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #433942 8th Jul 2023 10:28 pm
mdpslm

Lightwater wrote:
Skoda was on our list. Nice cars. But I crossed them off the list as I wanted a proper automatic. Don't want to be crawling on bush tracks with a dual clutch system.

How about one of the smaller Land Cruisers? Current: FL2 64 plate Black SD4 Auto Metropolis
Gone: FL2 2006 Tambora Flame Orange 2.2 TD4 manual HSE - (90K KM - 268K KM, LHD in CH)

Post #433943 8th Jul 2023 10:39 pm
mdpslm

Bobupndown wrote:
Good to hear and reinforces my own opinion of how good these Superbs seem. A definite contender when the Freelander needs to be replaced as sadly nothing in the current LR line up appeals (or nothing at a sensible price).
We have strayed from the original Evoque comparison- sorry!

Just a thought Bobupndown, another possible alternate to Superb 4x4 and with more ground clearance (which is low on the Superb) and a driving position approaching that of the Freelander 2 is the Seat Tarraco. Still VAG group and much better than the Skoda Kodiaq. I've driven both several times, they are both available with with 4x4 & 5 or 7 seat options but the Seat felt much better to drive and the use of space was smarter. My 6 foot 7 inch mate replaced his Superb Sportline with a Taraco and he's very pleased with it, although he does say boot space is reduced a bit and no free SatNav updates. Current: FL2 64 plate Black SD4 Auto Metropolis

Last edited by mdpslm on 9th Jul 2023 10:37 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433947 9th Jul 2023 9:04 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Bobupndown wrote:
We have strayed from the original Evoque comparison- sorry!

Have a drive of a diesel Subaru Outback . Last made in around 2018/19 . Petrol is now standard . Smoothest ( CVT ) auto I’ve ever driven , but manual available . The auto gives Subaru Eyesight driver aids . Has an off-road system called x mode .
There’s load space aplenty , same ground clearance as. FL2 , better passenger space , approach and departure angles not as good ( if you are a real off road driver it’s not for you but honestly I’ve used it on shoot tracks , forestry roads , on road tyres ) it’s a proper ‘ shooting brake ‘ great for all outdoor activities . Driving experience is superb , sticks to the road , you’ll give up before the vehicle does . I’ve driven 80,000 miles in 7 years , only Servicing (££ less than LR ) I’ve had ZERO warranty work , only discs , pads , one brake pedal rubber , one turbo shield clip and a pair of anti roll bushes . The great strength of the brand is that the dealers sell cars to people who need that type of car . They don’t sell life style ! As I ran this vehicle in parallel with a FL2 for 5 years I’m in a pretty unique position to recommend it as an alternative . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #433949 9th Jul 2023 10:22 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

mdpslm wrote:
Lightwater wrote:
Skoda was on our list. Nice cars. But I crossed them off the list as I wanted a proper automatic. Don't want to be crawling on bush tracks with a dual clutch system.

How about one of the smaller Land Cruisers?

My very long time mechanic suggested a Toyota. It's the one time I didn't listen! Couldn't be happier with the Freelander. Even more so with the modifications I've done. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433950 9th Jul 2023 10:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12