Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Propshaft Removal - Propshaft rotates when trying to undo nu
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

keep at it PK1968 looks like you have it worried now it cant be far off Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #431681 12th Apr 2023 8:19 am
PK1968

United Kingdom 

I had it that worried it fought back!!!!
I've succeeded in achieving absolutely zero. The thing hasn't budged. Not one bit. All I've succeeded in doing is breaking off anything I've welded to it!!!
I got a long piece of threaded metal today and improvised a slide hammer with a dumbbell weight. After going at it in and off for an hour it ended up pulling the welded bracket off.
I think I'll have to throw the towel in. It's taking up too much time. I'm going to try and get a mobile mechanic out to it but I doubt even they'll be able to get it out! If not I'll stick it back together and decide whether to take it to a garage and get it done, sell it on as spares/repairs or scrap it!
Thanks for all the help and advice though. Its been very much appreciated.

Post #431731 13th Apr 2023 7:20 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Afternoon all
Apologies. I posted this originally this morning but on the wrong thread!!!! Bloody tech!!!
Sorry it's been a while since I updated this thread and I don't like leaving them undone.
So, I tried calling a mobile mechanic out but they never got back to me. So, unfortunately I never managed to get the sleeve removed which was very frustrating. I made another bracket to weld on but it just ripped off again so the sleeve is well and truly stuck in.
I made the decision to get a new PTU from Bell Engineering and hoped that the splines will lock at least for a while. An expensive option but I was running out of them and my old Land Rover 90 that I've been relying on was starting to suffer under the pressure of daily use.
I encountered two difficulties in reassembly. The first was finding the right seal to go around the sleeve as it enters the gearbox. The first I found was too thin and didn't seal. After 3 days I finally found the right one and ended up with two of them due to trial and error buying!!!!
The second issue was trying to get the hub lower ball joint in!!!! I somehow ended up pulling the driveshaft apart. So another hold up whilst I got a replacement but luckily it was next day delivery. There must be an easy way to get that bloody ball joint back in?
I've finally managed to get it all back together and back on the road. It seems to be holding for now but not sure how long it will last before the splines on the PTU wear again. To be fair I'm thinking of getting rid and getting either another Freelander 1 or possibly another one of these but not rushing buying one as I did with this one. I've been surprised just how rusty this one is underneath for its age (2007). But we'll see. Buying used cars on today's market seems to be a bigger gamble than ever before.
Anyway, thanks again for all the excellent advice along the way and I'm sorry I'm not able to have provided the forum with a good solution other than take it to a garage and get a professional to do it!
Cheers

Post #432821 28th May 2023 2:02 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

There has got to be a reliable way of getting the splines off?
How do the professionals do it ? Jules

Post #432841 29th May 2023 8:44 am
PK1968

United Kingdom 

No idea. I've asked at a place where I get my parte from occasionally but I just got a shrug. Probably want me to take it to their garage maybe!!!! 🤣
I imagine it's gearbox out and either have a way of cutting it out or a new gearbox which I just can't stretch to. It's cost me over £800 already!

Post #432842 29th May 2023 8:53 am
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Finally, some decent news.
I got a recon PTU and fitted it last week but left the old sleeve on. After driving it for a while I noticed that it was leaking. I had a feeling it'd be coming from the inner seal that sits behind the sleeve and seals the driveshaft.
Today, I stripped it all down again, only took just over a couple of hours. I noticed that the sleeve had some movement in it. I got a good grip on it and after a few tugs off it came!!!! What a bloody relief. Pity it took all that to get the bloody thing off.
Just fitted a new inner seal and collecting my new sleeve tomorrow.
A very costly job but hopefully it'll last a few years now.
Cheers for all the advice and help along the way. It's been very much appreciated. 👍

Post #432994 1st Jun 2023 2:16 pm
jules

was it ATF leaking or PTU oil ?

I ask cos Ive got a small leak coming through the drain hole but it doesnt look like ATF. Jules

Post #433003 1st Jun 2023 4:41 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Hi Jules
Definitely from gearbox end. The PTU was a recon one from Bell Engineering so is in good order.
It's a weird one though because the leak was showing as a rusty/brown fluid. When I drained the gearbox the fluid was as it should be - slight golden/transparent.
But the leak was definitely coming along the driveshaft from the gearbox. The seal on the end of the gearbox splined shaft was shot!

Post #433004 1st Jun 2023 5:35 pm
jules

OK so yours is a manual box.

I'll have investigate further. Jules

Post #433018 1st Jun 2023 9:29 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

All done and back together now. No sign of any leaks thank goodness.
Extreme as it is it seems that the way to get a seized sleeve off is to fit a new PTU, drive it around and hope it engages with the sleeve, then strip it all back down and hope it comes off!!! 🤣
Thanks again for all the advice. 👍

Post #433062 3rd Jun 2023 11:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123