Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Genuine LR detachable towbar -- faulty lock?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Horse Taxi

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
Genuine LR detachable towbar -- faulty lock?

Hi folks, I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions on my FL2's detachable towbar (FL2 TD4, 2013, genuine LR part).

This feels like a dumb question, but how should the lock work? I can fit the bar to the car (rotate the knob down against spring pressure, insert, then release to lock in place), but nothing I do moves the knob upwards to the 'green' section. It feels like I should be able to push the knob to the left then rotate upwards, but it won't turn. The key will turn in the lock, but does nothing except stop the knob from being pushed to the left.

As far as I can tell the thing is secured (just not key locked), but it's making me nervous (especially as I want to use it to tow a horse box!).

Any thoughts?

Post #431431 4th Apr 2023 5:09 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Press the handle in and then turn,the lock is crap best not use it in cases it fails in locked position

Post #431432 4th Apr 2023 5:16 pm
Horse Taxi

Thanks, I thought that might be the case but wanted a sanity check. Seems likely the mechanism is broken. I've never leave it fitted on the car, so theft isn't a concern.

I assume it's still OK to tow with the thing in the 'red' position? It certainly feels solid enough, but if there's any doubt I'd rather get it replaced with a fixed one.

Post #431433 4th Apr 2023 5:30 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Put the detachable part into the receiver. Apply arc or mig welder to the relevant contact points. Forget about locks and theft of towing implements. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #431436 4th Apr 2023 6:47 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red
Re: Genuine LR detachable towbar -- faulty lock?

Horse Taxi wrote:
Hi folks, I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions on my FL2's detachable towbar (FL2 TD4, 2013, genuine LR part).

This feels like a dumb question, but how should the lock work? I can fit the bar to the car (rotate the knob down against spring pressure, insert, then release to lock in place), but nothing I do moves the knob upwards to the 'green' section. It feels like I should be able to push the knob to the left then rotate upwards, but it won't turn. The key will turn in the lock, but does nothing except stop the knob from being pushed to the left.

As far as I can tell the thing is secured (just not key locked), but it's making me nervous (especially as I want to use it to tow a horse box!).

Any thoughts?

I have the same tow bar. When I fit the hook into the receiver, I don't touch the knob… just insert the hook and firmly press it down to secure. The thing locks into place with a bit of a clunk, the red inducator changes to green and as a matter of course, I use the key to lock the hook in place.

To remove the hook, unlock with key and then push and turn the knob to release the hook. It all works rather well.

User manual is here …

http://kabink.netmaster.lt/site/assets/fil...dvance.pdf

… different shape hook to my straight one but same mechanism and it is a copy of the manual that came with my tow bar if it is of any help.

Post #431441 4th Apr 2023 8:22 pm
Horse Taxi

That was the little detail I was missing -- just push the thing in and the mechanism takes care of the rest.

Very helpful, thank you!

Post #431477 5th Apr 2023 7:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1