Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Are facelift models massively different?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave The Second

United Kingdom 
Are facelift models massively different?

Am I correct in thinking that the facelift which occurred around 2010 or 2011 added a new interior and lights but didn't bring any major functional improvements? I'm looking at used cars and wondering if I'll be forever sad with a pre face model.
I believe the last of the line came with an updated sat nav, is it a deal breaker?
FWIW I quite like the old centre console layout.
Any opinions and info welcomed

Post #431172 25th Mar 2023 10:02 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

You have pm

Post #431173 25th Mar 2023 10:15 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Are facelift models massively different?

Dave The Second wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that the facelift which occurred around 2010 or 2011 added a new interior and lights but didn't bring any major functional improvements? I'm looking at used cars and wondering if I'll be forever sad with a pre face model.
I believe the last of the line came with an updated sat nav, is it a deal breaker?
FWIW I quite like the old centre console layout.
Any opinions and info welcomed

There were 2 major facelifts. One for MY2010 - new grille and lights, full width tailgate handle and some mechanical changes. Then another for MY 2013 which brought revised interior and switchgear using some Evoque bits- electronic parking brake, hard disc navigation. On the exterior daytime running led cluster and revised part led rear cluster.I
I think the MY2013 was more like a junior Range Rover / Discovery. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #431175 25th Mar 2023 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

As Lakelander says, the last "facelift" saw many changes, as I understand it, it was almost used as a testbed for the Evoque.

Anything other than a late model wouldn't have suited me, they are IMHO far nicer & I love mine Thumbs Up

When I was on the hunt for a replacement for the daily car from a Honda Accord, I wanted a Civic (Accords no longer imported to the UK sadly), there was only one spec that would do for me, the very top of the range (which are a relatively rare car in the UK) for one simple reason... it was the only spec that had a start button for the engine, I would have been quite happy without, except for the fact that the blanking plate on all the other specs would have annoyed me every time I drove it!!

I keep my vehicles for a long time and the little things matter to me Laughing 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #431178 25th Mar 2023 12:06 pm
Dave The Second

United Kingdom 

OK I think I'm starting to get a handle on things. When I browse autotrader etc. the pics will quickly show a 2010 facelift will have the full width tailgate trim and a 2013 onwards will have an electronic handbrake.
Mechanically they are all pretty similar though? I tow a caravan so I'm thinking SD4 and automatic gearbox.
Also do even the latest models miss out android auto/carplay?

Post #431179 25th Mar 2023 1:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Mechanically they are all pretty similar though?
Yes, apart from the SD4 vs TD4 power outputs. Later cars have the EPB and the wiring is more Evoque in some areas. Also the towing wiring loom and connections are very different from early models and completely plug-n-play.

I tow a caravan so I'm thinking SD4 and automatic gearbox.
I would agree - its the best combo IMO

Yes - none of that is available.

Incidently Ive not yet found a use for the Android Auto in my Fiesta ST. Im probably missing a trick with it but I use the ST's own Sat Nav and all the music I ever want to listen to is on my USB stick. Jules

Post #431181 25th Mar 2023 1:51 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

The SD4 is ideal for towing, the 190hp and 420nm of torque via standard automatic transmission make it effortless. (This is the same power and torque as the Tdv6 2.7 in Discovery 3 and Discovery Sport but in a 400kg lighter package).
I've owned my 2014 model for 5 years and regularly tow a twin axle Swift Challenger Sport with it and find that it actually excels over my previous Discovery 2 in all except weight.
The facelift just makes it seem more modern with the early models now looking a bit dated, think mid 2000's Ford Mondeo interior.
Even the 2013 facelift is now a 10 year old design and it shows, there is no apple car play or android auto but some have successfully updated and installed.
It remains a rugged practical interior, and solid dependable car in general. I will happily drive mine for another 5 years. Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #431182 25th Mar 2023 1:58 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Without doubt, get the latest top spec SD4 Auto you can.

Download Handbooks here
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10621.html

Other SD4 comments here
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36463.ht...p;start=15
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34661.html?highlight=sd4 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #431183 25th Mar 2023 4:09 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Dave The Second wrote:
OK I think I'm starting to get a handle on things. When I browse autotrader etc. the pics will quickly show a 2010 facelift will have the full width tailgate trim and a 2013 onwards will have an electronic handbrake.
Mechanically they are all pretty similar though? I tow a caravan so I'm thinking SD4 and automatic gearbox.

Watch out for poor headlights on post 2013. The inclusion of DRL cluster means only one headlamp bulb instead of the previous two resulting in reduced light output. If you value decent lights , go for one with HID units - HSE Lux or Metropolis models. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #431185 25th Mar 2023 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^Solid advice, can't under value night vision.

Post #431186 25th Mar 2023 5:54 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

^^^agree the non-HID single HB3 bulb lights on the 2013 are poor - I would have gone for a Metropolis if I had known before hand. Jules

Post #431193 26th Mar 2023 12:26 am
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have had several FL2’s over the last 12 years. The last produced (2013 onwards) are by far the best. Go for a HSE Lux or Metropolis. The SD4 is more refined and the extra bhp noticeable in real world driving. My advice is to spend the most you can and buy the highest spec. Mine has done 98000 miles now and still drives like it did when new so don’t worry too much about mileage.

Post #431196 26th Mar 2023 9:12 am
pinhead

I have had both an 08 hse auto
And a 13 dynamic auto

Although the dynamic is not top spec it does have some model specific trim that's really nice and doesn't miss much spec wise my mate has a 14 hse lux and it doesn't look as good in my opinion and the only thing it really has over mine is sunroof and reverse camera

The 13 on is a much nicer car the bigger wheels make it feel a little more planted on the road the interior is much more modern and the engine and box work together better although the 08 engine was a bit smoother especially when cold even with its extra miles and then you get heated steering wheel that was unavailable on the early cars that's a nice touch

As for headlights if you get a 13 plate on without factory HID you can add aftermarket easy enough that's all I have done
Although technically not legal the same hosings are used for both all you will lack is auto self levelling to be legal 100%
Mine mots fine and I have managed to fit all the kit inside the headlights so it's not obvious at all that it's not factory

Post #431198 26th Mar 2023 10:52 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I have had two cars…

1. a very well specified model year 10 / pre-facelift XS TD4 Auto

2. the current November 2013 HSE Lux SD4 Auto

I loved the first one but the current car is a world apart in any number of ways. I hadn't set out to change the car but this one jumped out of the crowd and sold itself to me whilst I was waiting to pick my car up after a service…

If I was buying another, only a low mileage Lux or Metropolis would be on my shopping list.

Post #431207 26th Mar 2023 5:53 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Also don't forget to look at each vehicle as an individual - many came with factory upgrades, my Dynamic came with all the extras I wanted Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #431215 27th Mar 2023 10:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>