Home > Technical > Freelander 2 PTU bolts x 7
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PK1968

United Kingdom 
Freelander 2 PTU bolts x 7

Hi all
I had a rattling noise coming from under the front of my Freelander. On inspecting I found that the whole PTU was loose. The bottom 5 bolts were all undone and could be turned with little effort by hand. The top 2 are completely missing.
I'm not with the vehicle at the moment and won't be for a few days as it's in a lock up elsewhere.
Can someone tell me what size bolts I need for the top 2 that fasten the PTU to the block?
I've tried to attach I photo I took at the time.
Cheers

Post #430761 10th Mar 2023 1:12 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

You haven't filled in your vehicle details. These are for the manual version you need to check yourself for the Auto. Copy the whole link

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/12111/57488/58916/4747/58938

Post #430764 10th Mar 2023 2:59 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Hi
Thanks for the reply and for sending the link, it's going to be really useful so thanks.
I've been Googling for ages but couldn't find anything about those bolts anywhere.
Ref my Freelander, I'm sure I put that on when I registered but I'm not great with these things and may have missed it.
Mine is a manual so the link is perfect.
Thanks again 👍

Post #430767 10th Mar 2023 3:49 pm
ransoman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Welcome to the club. The same thing happened to mine.

you need part no. LR001192, I bought mine from: https://www.lrparts.net/lr001192-bolt.html

There is also a large bracket that holds the support bearing for the drivers side driveshaft. This also holds on the PTU and was loose on mine too. Don't forget to check that too.

I get my part numbers from here:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/p...and-rover/

Post #430825 13th Mar 2023 4:44 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Thanks very much for the positive response and info. Must be a more common issue than I thought.
I'll make sure I check everything else around it. I'Il be replacing the lower engine mount on that side too as that now looks quite worn with a bit too much movement in it.
Thanks again.

Post #430826 13th Mar 2023 5:01 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Morning all
Sorry it's been a while since I updated this thread and I don't like leaving them undone.
So, I tried calling a mobile mechanic out but they never got back to me. So, unfortunately I never managed to get the sleeve removed which was very frustrating. I made another bracket to weld on but it just ripped off again so the sleeve is well and truly stuck in.
I made the decision to get a new PTU from Bell Engineering and hoped that the splines will lock at least for a while. An expensive option but I was running out of them and my old Land Rover 90 that I've been relying on was starting to suffer under the pressure of daily use.
I encountered two difficulties in reassembly. The first was finding the right seal to go around the sleeve as it enters the gearbox. The first I found was too thin and didn't seal. After 3 days I finally found the right one and ended up with two of them due to trial and error buying!!!!
The second issue was trying to get the hub lower ball joint in!!!! I somehow ended up pulling the driveshaft apart. So another hold up whilst I got a replacement but luckily it was next day delivery. There must be an easy way to get that bloody ball joint back in?
I've finally managed to get it all back together and back on the road. It seems to be holding for now but not sure how long it will last before the splines on the PTU wear again. To be fair I'm thinking of getting rid and getting either another Freelander 1 or possibly another one of these but not rushing buying one as I did with this one. I've been surprised just how rusty this one is underneath for its age (2007). But we'll see. Buying used cars on today's market seems to be a bigger gamble than ever before.
Anyway, thanks again for all the excellent advice along the way and I'm sorry I'm not able to have provided the forum with a good solution other than take it to a garage and get a professional to do it!
Cheers

Post #432812 28th May 2023 9:05 am
ransoman

So if I understand this correctly you got a regular PTU rather than an upgraded one with a welded on sleeve on the PTU side?

how long it will last will depend on how much meat was left on the old sleeve. Hopefully plenty. If you keep your drivetrain in good shape then it should last well.

The trick with the balljoint is to put a long prybar on the wishbone (there is a little rectangular hole near the end for this) and stand on it to pull it down as far as possible. Then slide the hub on from the side, it should go in. What I actually did though was I left the wishbones attached the the subframe when I removed it to take off the gearbox, then when I refitted the subframe I located the balljoints then and raised it up with a jack.

Post #432905 30th May 2023 10:04 am
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Hi
Yes. I bought the refurbished PTU rather than the upgrade. I needed to keep costs down as I don't know which way I'm going to go with the car now - keep or sell!
It really needs the work doing properly, I know that. I've already noticed a slight leak coming from the channel on the PTU. I think this is coming from the inner driveshaft seal that sits at the gearbox end of the sleeve. As I couldn't remove the sleeve I couldn't change that seal and it looked a little ropey tbf. So after all that, whilst it's running fine now I've now developed this new problem which will need it stripping down again soon!
As for the wishbone, that's what I ended up doing, prizing it downwards and managed to get it in. Would have been easier with someone helping. I had a nasty accident a few years ago with a suspension spring and lost some sight in one eye so I'm wary now about putting anything with a powerful springiness to it under pressure! I was probably being extra cautious.

Post #432908 30th May 2023 10:32 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

This is handy for pulling the wishbone down, easier with a sumo wrestler though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324652207001?ha...R5i7jsuNYg

Post #432915 30th May 2023 1:47 pm
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Looks the bee's knees that but if you don't have a high-lift you'd need to jack it up pretty high to get the leverage needed. However, could certainly try improvising something along those lines though.
Cheers

Post #432916 30th May 2023 2:00 pm
ransoman

I just used the largest prybar from the 4 pack of Draper prybars you can buy at any motor factors. With my axle stand at max height there was just enough clearance with the bar held onto the ground.

Make sure you disconnect the anti roll bar link though, that restricts the movement of the hub quite significantly.

Post #432951 31st May 2023 9:18 am
PK1968

United Kingdom 

Finally, some decent news.
I got a recon PTU and fitted it last week but left the old sleeve on. After driving it for a while I noticed that it was leaking. I had a feeling it'd be coming from the inner seal that sits behind the sleeve and seals the driveshaft.
Today, I stripped it all down again, only took just over a couple of hours. I noticed that the sleeve had some movement in it. I got a good grip on it and after a few tugs off it came!!!! What a bloody relief. Pity it took all that to get the bloody thing off.
Just fitted a new inner seal and collecting my new sleeve tomorrow.
A very costly job but hopefully it'll last a few years now.
Cheers for all the advice and help along the way. It's been very much appreciated. 👍

Post #432995 1st Jun 2023 2:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1