« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DS wheels size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
DS wheels size

Looking at a DS but it has 20" wheels and I prefer something a bit chunkier like the 18" ones on my FL2. So does anyone know if FL2 wheels will fit a DS? ie are the lugs compatible? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #429184 24th Jan 2023 1:21 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Yes they are.
I have 18" DS wheels on in place of my standard 17" Freelander 2 wheels.

Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #429186 24th Jan 2023 2:14 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Make sure you have brake caliper clearance. Thumbs Up

Post #429187 24th Jan 2023 2:18 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: DS wheels size

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Looking at a DS but it has 20" wheels and I prefer something a bit chunkier like the 18" ones on my FL2. So does anyone know if FL2 wheels will fit a DS? ie are the lugs compatible?

Am going to have to give thought to change ours what with Mayor Khan advancing his ULEZ plans to my front door. Could I ask what’s made you favour the DS?

Post #429194 24th Jan 2023 5:08 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

it's a difficult choice, you can go through the souless cars from Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota etc which you know are probably good cars but I guess it's the land rover heritage and it's a British marque. I have had Freelanders since 1999 and I have driven a couple of DSs but I have always been put off by the oil dilution issues (and now the ULEZ problems) so I decided that whatever I get next will be petrol driven and not an EV or hybrid as they don't seem ready yet and are still quite expensive. I have been looking at a Volvo XC40 but everything seems to be on a touch screen with layers of menus to go through which I found annoying. I am also not interested in whether the car has Apple Play or some fancy social media connectivity or whatever which seems to be the main selling point for a lot of cars these days. Researching a new car is also quite time consuming so coming back to the devil you know etc. I suppose the DS is more like what I am used to and I have decided to limit my budget to about £35k. Any comments anyone? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #429195 24th Jan 2023 5:33 pm
Bobupndown

Much as I love the brand I think the Freelander will by last daily driver LR.
I'd happily have a series as a classic.
Petrol and electric don't interest me and the Ingenium diesel has disgraced itself to the extent that I'd not trust a used one. If I were buying new I'd half the oil change intervals which would give it a fighting chance of not suffering timing chain or balance shaft issues and my use would possibly prevent DPF issues, but new isn't an option and a used ex pcp car is a time bomb with no guarantee of how it had previously been used. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #429196 24th Jan 2023 6:10 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

dorsetfreelander wrote:
it's a difficult choice, you can go through the souless cars from Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota etc which you know are probably good cars but I guess it's the land rover heritage and it's a British marque. I have had Freelanders since 1999 and I have driven a couple of DSs but I have always been put off by the oil dilution issues (and now the ULEZ problems) so I decided that whatever I get next will be petrol driven and not an EV or hybrid as they don't seem ready yet and are still quite expensive. I have been looking at a Volvo XC40 but everything seems to be on a touch screen with layers of menus to go through which I found annoying. I am also not interested in whether the car has Apple Play or some fancy social media connectivity or whatever which seems to be the main selling point for a lot of cars these days. Researching a new car is also quite time consuming so coming back to the devil you know etc. I suppose the DS is more like what I am used to and I have decided to limit my budget to about £35k. Any comments anyone?

I’m still waiting for a Toyota , 18 months after order ( they have threatened February , but let’s see ) ! I let the FL2 go as I still had the Subaru . £35 k would put you in a new Subaru of some kind , or a very high spec nearly new Outback . All current Subaru are petrol , no diesel anymore . My Outback bought new is 7 years old in a month or two . 75000 miles , absolutely zero issues until last week . It rattled on starting , booked it in with the dealer , arrived , greeted by first name from staff who see me twice a year ( I do a 6000 oil change as a belt snd braces just because the car was a sizeable chunk of change ) . A clip had broken on the turbo shield , I had a coffee , 20 minutes later I got the car back , the service guy just said ‘ not much of a job ‘ -no charge . The most reliable car I’ve ever owned , great mile muncher , better dealers of any brand , and given the right tyres the best thing on 4 wheels for winter driving . I reckon including tyres , service and depreciation it’s lifetime cost has been £3250 per annum

Ps Don’t discount Apple Play or Google equivalent . The ability to run navigation of your phone including things like Waze is really worthwhile , we’ve got it on the Swift shopping car , so it’s just standard now not a selling point . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #429197 24th Jan 2023 7:22 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I’ve just acquired a 2017MY DS to sit alongside my 2008 FL2. For sure the oil dilution issue with the Ingenium engine in the LR installation is of concern but more frequent oil changes seems to be the answer. One can never be sure but I got a two year LR Warranty with it so fingers crossed it will last.

It’s a delightful vehicle to drive. Like the FL2 but a bit smoother and more civilised, than mine at least. I did a 300 mile round trip in it yesterday and it really was effortless. And the interior - it's Firenze red with almond leather interior - is just so nice, much nicer than things like the Kia Sportage which are dreary black or grey. Sadly it doesn’t have CarPlay but I found the inbuilt sat nav surprisingly good and I can connect my iPhone by cable or Bluetooth to have my preferred music. All in all I’m delighted with it.

Post #429211 25th Jan 2023 10:06 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

One of my sons has a Skoda Kodiaq, vast amount of legroom front and back; his also has the extra seats in the boot. Loves it.
I’d shortlisted that along with the DS (which my Indy garage reckon they see very rarely other than for service and MOTs) and the F-Pace

Post #429216 25th Jan 2023 12:53 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Back to the original question about wheel size, like Bobupndown, I have those DS wheels on my FL2 but my recollection is that the DS wheel has a slightly greater offset. So the DS wheels fit the FL2 giving it a slightly wider track, but worth checking if the less offset wheels of the FL2 will work on a DS.

Post #429217 25th Jan 2023 1:03 pm
Bobupndown

Correct the DS wheels do sit out a little more than the originals but not by a massive amount. Don't recall the exact ET figures. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #429221 25th Jan 2023 1:49 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In answer to the original question.
FL2 wheels DO NOT FIT the DS.
DS wheels fit the FL2 if you wanted to go that way.

I have a DS that came with 20" wheels, bought a set of 18" FL2 wheels, they physically look like they will fit, but foul the calipers. Evoque wheels fit the DS.

There are two (at least) versions of the 18" DS wheels, the launch version had very pretty wheels similar to the 20" fitted to my 2018 HSE. The pauper version has a plain (by comparison) 18" alloy, does the job just as well and is far more common on ebay.

be careful about Tyre Pressure Sensors (TPS) bought two different sets, neither worked, so bought a genuine set that worked first time - fitting and removing the rogue TPS was costly both in time and cash but at least a full set of DC wheels complete with tyres do fit in the back of the DS Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #429311 27th Jan 2023 9:09 pm
Bobupndown

What size of brake discs and calipers has a DS got compared to a Freelander that doesn't allow Fl2 wheels to fit? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #429321 27th Jan 2023 10:58 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

One issue is diameter & another is offset, both need enough clearance. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #429322 27th Jan 2023 11:09 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

If memory serves me right it was the offset that caused the fouling

Front disc is 325mm, rear disc is also 325mm

Click image to enlarge
 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #429325 27th Jan 2023 11:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>