Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil Filter Housing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Achilles was the US M10 (Wolverine) upgraded with the 17 Pounder UK gun mounted (the same that we mounted on the Sherman to create the Firefly version)

As it happens I'm located about 2 miles from Bovington - and I'm a bit of a tank geek and rivet counter Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #428898 18th Jan 2023 1:30 pm
Tankie1rtr

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I am the same , a Tank Geek lol, we could have some good chats, up near where i live (York) there is a place on the North York Moors where a Cromwell Tank sunk into the bog during exercise, it just sunk and they left it there, still there today buried in the peat bog.

Post #428901 18th Jan 2023 3:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I've always been fascinated by tanks.
As a kid I collected just about every Airfix 1/76 tank model there was at the time. Had them lined up on a shelf above my bed.
I was able to quote facts from the packages like max speed, range , barrel size etc. Jules

Post #428908 18th Jan 2023 5:38 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Tankie1rtr wrote:
Thanks for your replies guys. I haven't got any ramps, but I do have axle stands, so I suppose i can do it that way. I will give it a go, Its a 2009 with 133k on the clock, so I dont think it would benefit from a flush, what do you think? and I will use fully synthetic oil. ROMMEL and thank you for your FEAR NAUGHT.. are you a Vet?

No need to flush, as long as the oil is changed on time.

133k is nothing for this engine if well maintained. They're known to go on for 400k + if maintained correctly. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #428909 18th Jan 2023 5:40 pm
NoDo$h

jules wrote:
I've always been fascinated by tanks.
As a kid I collected just about every Airfix 1/76 tank model there was at the time. Had them lined up on a shelf above my bed.
I was able to quote facts from the packages like max speed, range , barrel size etc.

If you haven't been to the Tank Museum at Bovington in recent years, I can heartily recommend. A lot of improvements over the last 10 years or so.

To whet your appetite, here's a couple of pics of Mrs Do$h getting acquainted with the museums "Frankenstein" Type 59 - a Chinese derivative of the T54, fitted with the British L7 105mm (hence the extractor) as part of an export enhancement programme. I bought her an experience day as a christmas present a couple of years back (she's a tank nut too).

Click image to enlarge

And a 10 minute talk on the M10 and Achilles from the Tank Museum's resident expert, David Fletcher

Current driveway contents:

Post #428921 18th Jan 2023 8:16 pm
Tankie1rtr

I was down at the museum about 8 yrs ago, we got there at 09.00 and when they were closing my missus sulked because she wanted to go around again for the fifth time, lol, i just couldnt get her away, her favourite of all the tanks for some reason was the Sherman M4A1 with the Flails on the front, she also fell in love with a Churchill gun tank called "Bob" lol

Post #428927 18th Jan 2023 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Bovington is on my bucket list.

My favourite WW2 tank was the Panther - a futuristic looking design at the time - sloping frontal aspect and clean looking turret; aspects copied to the King Tiger and T34 Jules

Post #428951 19th Jan 2023 2:44 pm
Tankie1rtr

Yes the Panther was advanced for its time, and as you know it was designed by Ferdinand Porsche but it was too over engineered and they couldnt make replacement parts because they had to be precisely engineered instead of mass produced, plus it was very slow and the gearbox broke down very easily due to the weight. it also needed constant servicing.

Post #428952 19th Jan 2023 2:51 pm
NoDo$h

That weakness in the gearbox (when it failed the tank lurched in the opposite direction to the steered/intended direction) was used against the Germans when the SOE Pimento Circuit started taking out all the railway lines between Toulouse and Normandy.

As a result of the actions of the Resistance and SOE, Das Reich had to make their way to Normandy by road, with colossal delays bought about by mechanical failures. 1400 vehicles travelling in a series of formations by road also made a juicy target for air attack. The division was already down on serviceable vehicles, having only received around half the anticipated Panthers and Panzer IVs in the spring of 44.

The work by the Resistance and SOE wasn't without its price. The heinous acts at Tulle and subsequent destruction of Oradour-sur-Glane by Lammerding and his men was as a reprisal against the delaying actions and ambushes that had delayed the movement of Das Reich. Oradour remains a national monument to the atrocities carried out by Diekmann and his men. Diekmann was killed in action in Normandy and never faced punishment for his crime. His remains lie in the German cemetery at La Cambe.

Did I mention that I'm a bit of a tank geek? Whistle Current driveway contents:

Post #428953 19th Jan 2023 3:40 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

His remains lie in the German cemetery at La Cambe.

Along with those of Michael Wittman. ! 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #428954 19th Jan 2023 3:48 pm
Tankie1rtr

LOL, We are very much alike, both Tank geeks, I did 15 years as a Continental Coach Tor Driver, and I have done most of the battlefields, I use to always take my bugle and play the last post at the War Cemeteries, I have also visited Oramour and it may sound soft, but i stood in front of the Church remains and I cried.. did you get the lin to the Tanks I sent you ? I have just ordered 4 heater plugs, so I am going to collect them tomorrow and do them whilst the engine is warm, I am off out to spray each on with WD40 in a few minutes, then I will spray them tomorrow again after i come back and leave it for about an hour, then fingers crossed they will come out no problems. I have ordered Bosch, £63.90 inc vat, I thought that is a good price.

https://www.facebook.com/britisharmy/videos/743558584099276

Post #428955 19th Jan 2023 3:51 pm
Tankie1rtr

Rommel wrote:
His remains lie in the German cemetery at La Cambe.

Along with those of Michael Wittman. !

You may like this, she is in beautiful condition.

https://www.facebook.com/Panzerpicture/pho...8317021293

Post #428956 19th Jan 2023 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12