Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Seems a little expensive!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

I have been fortunate enough to go to Land Rover Experience Eastnor several times now and always enjoy.

Last time I was there was a half day in a Discovery 5, as capable as you would expect though to me the structure seemed to creak and groan more than I remember when I’ve been around in a Discovery 4.

Done a few half days in D4 and as states above generally not a challenging track, for that the best experience I had there was a Night Drive event (in D4’s).

All the vehicle where running MTRs and needed the, as we worked them hard, I recall one of the cars in the group getting briefly stuck going downhill on some roots/rocks. This was a section running down a valley before running back up the other side and I was lucky enohg to be driving at this point. Car in front took several goes to get up the other side so my instructor told me to hold in in 3rd and drive it like I stole it to get up (we managed in one go).

On the same event I also managed to bag a ride with the lead instructor in a Defender 110 for a time when I was relegated to a passenger in the Disco, he had to work at getting around more than the rest in the D4s.

First time at Eastnor was something a bit different that worked out really, really well.

It was a day in association with Autocar magazine giving the opportunity to have a go on all the then current range (was about 2005/2006 or so I guess – certainly pre F2)

I can’t remember how it worked out but seems most of the event was booked out by 1 group that for some reason cancelled so it ended up just myself and another gent there. Fair play to LRE they carried on with just us and through the day we drove a Defender 110 (TD5), RRS and Full Fat RR (not sure now what engines) and a Discovery 3 manual (so TDV6).

It was a great day the two of us witching back and fore to drive the various motors and was my first introduction to Eastnor – sure if I correctly recall the instructor we had with us that day was one of the team with Clarkson when he drove the Discovery 3 up the mountain, he appeared on TV for one of the recovery sessions.

Prob only thing I regret that day is we didn’t drive a Freelander at all, indeed I’ve never driven one at Eastnor at all, though that day I did see my very first Freelander 2 as there was at least one all disguised with the cladding etc, in the corner of the car park. Wish I’d had something to take a photo though recall being nervous just going for a little look in case I was asked to leave. Andrew

Post #428526 5th Jan 2023 8:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12